Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 09:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Aux v/s USB

Hello,
I am considering getting a new/used HU for my 800 as my current JVC's giving problems.I have noticed there are serveral players which have both USB as well as a Aux in function.My question is ,what are the advantages are there over a USB over a Aux in ? Is the audio quality better via USB than in Aux in? I can understand one can connect a USB with large capacity like 16 GB but then one can even have a Aux in connected to a mobile which can have around 8 GB capacity.

I have a Samsung star mobile which i can connect to a Aux port using a adaptor.if i were to just go for hU whether new or used with just a Aux in consdering i am on a budget would i get a good sound.
thanks
Old 9th November 2010, 11:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Advantages of USB over Aux:

- You can leave the USB in the car permanently attached to the head unit.
- Phone calls wont bother your music (if you are connecting your phone to the Aux in), no need to unplug the phone everytime.
- In case of Ipod or phone connected to Aux in, both the devices should also have enough battery charge remaining to play the music, no such problems with USB.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you are forgetting the MAIN advantage of USB.

You are able to use the head unit controls and/or remote to control the playback of your music.

In the case of aux, you can only control the audio from the HU. All other control functions are on your phone/MP3 player.

P.S. you can connect even a 500GB+ HDD to the USB, forget about 16GB pendrive.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
does the HD have to have some OS installed? How does the HU read the Hard disk's folder system? Do most HUs have the juice to drive a Hard disk?

What if I have a Hard disk with a folder system that goes "Artist > Album > Song" will to work? I mean when I plug the Hard disk will it read the folder system like a PC would?
Old 9th November 2010, 12:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:

You are able to use the head unit controls and/or remote to control the playback of your music.

In the case of aux, you can only control the audio from the HU. All other control functions are on your phone/MP3 player.

Sam, is there any limitation that some HU USB slots can't recognize beyond 8GB/999 songs on a pendrive or so?
Old 9th November 2010, 12:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
does the HD have to have some OS installed? How does the HU read the Hard disk's folder system? Do most HUs have the juice to drive a Hard disk?

What if I have a Hard disk with a folder system that goes "Artist > Album > Song" will to work? I mean when I plug the Hard disk will it read the folder system like a PC would?
It depends on the protocol used. First it is necessary to have the hard disk in FAT32 format. Windows may not permit a format in FAT32, and you may have to use Swiss Knife or similar.

Either the HU data protocol will flatten the entire data structure, or it iwll read through it the way a PC does (Artist, album, folder search, name search etc.)

Yes, some HUs have a software limit where they cannot handle more than 999 songs.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

While getting my number plate fixed I saw HU from Rs 1200 onwards with USB and AUX in but without a CD slot. Have a blast.

I prefer the rugged no moving part Pen drive to HDD. Cheers!
Old 9th November 2010, 13:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I prefer the rugged no moving part Pen drive to HDD. Cheers!
I don't know why all solid state car audios are not popular yet. Long (a year and a half) ago, I did fit a "Boss" 750DI in my Innova:
An all solid state cheapo car audio @ Hacking | Photography | Bird-Watching and happy. Not only it can play from USB stick (tested till 4GB) or a SD card, but it also has a built-in iPod docking station, which holds the iPod securely, charges it and I can use the stereo's controls on the iPod. And the cost has come down to $70 (check amazon.com), and it is not a cheap china make.

The biggest disadvantage of Aux I find is a dangling device, which might fly off in random direction in the cabin in case of accidents.

Last edited by kousik : 9th November 2010 at 13:16.
Old 9th November 2010, 15:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
I don't know why all solid state car audios are not popular yet.
I agree. For in car use Solid State devidces should be the ideal solution.

I dont know how practical the BOSS HU is for ipods as the Ipod is precariously perched on the HU. I like the ANHC ipod adapter where the ipod sits inside the dash. BOOS's 865 and 765 also do something that keeps the ipod safe.
Old 9th November 2010, 15:27   #10
BHPian

I'd rather take an HU which has both USB as well as Aux.
For the iphone/ipod types, Aux is the only way to hook up your music to your car.

I'd also take Bluetooth also if possible.

As i've just discovered recently, BT Audio option on my system connects so well with the BT of the phone, that I can easily control the audio library of my phone and all the functions of fwd/revind, next song etc using the system itself. Dont need to touch the phone for that. The phone can stay in the bag with BT activated and 'play' initiated.
Old 9th November 2010, 15:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good timing! Even I was considering a new HU for my Waggie as the one that came with the car is a cassette player and does not have parts available.

I shortlisted HUs from JVC, Sony and Pioneer that have both Aux in and USB. Cost varies from 5000 to 5800 INR. I guess I will go with JVC
Old 9th November 2010, 16:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. For in car use Solid State devidces should be the ideal solution.

I dont know how practical the BOSS HU is for ipods as the Ipod is precariously perched on the HU. I like the ANHC ipod adapter where the ipod sits inside the dash. BOOS's 865 and 765 also do something that keeps the ipod safe.
they are gaining popularity as cheaper ones are coming out. price was a constraint earlier - like alpine etc digital players are expensive. plus a pen drive is something the ordinary junta does not carry. they use pirated MP3 CDs available locally and cheap.

have seens loads of 99 rupees wala car FM player that gives an output of 8w.. with local 4" speakers for 250 rupees... the local pen drive ones cost 800 plus... and you have to buy a pen drive for 250, then burn songs... have access to a computer... so you know now why the 5re shampoo sachets have a major chunk of the market, not your bottles, coz everyone has 5 rupees to spare!!!

in fact i have one.. not the car wala.. but guess what, it's for 250, goes loud, catches FM powerfully, charges automatically and also functions without electricity for a good 7-8 hours. beat that!!! it's not chinese, made in india... either lamington road or delhi.
Old 9th November 2010, 16:29   #13
BANNED

Get a better PMP player - Cowon J3 , bit heavy on pocket , has microsd card option upto 16 gb, J3 has 35 preset equalizers.
http://www.blsmartbuy.com/?p=6298
Old 9th November 2010, 16:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, my Pioneer 4290 reads the data in that hierarchy. But regarding HDD capacities, my 4290 fails to read a 500 GB HDD, but it can read my other 160GB one. More than size limitation, I think its the power available at USB port which comes into picture in this case. My HU USB is not able to provide enough power to my 500 GB HDD and hence it fails, thats my conclusion.

Adding upto that, I use my Nokia N79 built in stereo FM transmitter to hear my mobile songs on HU. It will give the flexibility of wireless connection plus, the audio will be muted on a call I love that indirect functionality of this feature.
Old 9th November 2010, 16:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I agree that i may not be able to peform certain functions with my remote via a AUX-IN that i could do with a USB but i hardly use the remote of my existing JVC as i find it more easy to reach the stereo controls rather than fumble around and try to find the remote while driving.But my main question is, Is the audio quality of a AUx-in as good as a USB or will it be lower than the USB ?

Thank you all for your responses.

Most Viewed