Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2005, 10:32   #1
BHPian

Finalising Audio setup - Help needed

Dear all,

have taken delivery of my indica turbo DLX :-)

per your earlier advise, i have checked out the following. Can you please verify if the prices I have been quoted are all-right. I need to go ahead and finalise the setup by today, which I will, after you guys help me do any fine-tuning here if needed. So your opinions and advise please.

(All pioneer prices without bill and warranty)

HEAD UNIT
Pioneer 5750 = Rs.7200
OR
Pioneer 7750 = Rs.9400 (Navin, Your recommendation over the 5750)

AMP
Blaupunkt GTA450 = Rs.8000
OR
Pioneer 6100 = Rs.7800 (Navin, Your recommendation over the Blaupunkt)

Components speakers for the front
JBL 506c = Rs.6000 (Your mentioned pricing was lower than this. Can you please guide me to someone who can give me a better deal? Sam, would really appreciate your help here)

Co-Axials at the rear

JBL 936 = Rs.4200

Subwoofer
Pioneer SW-306 Dual Voice Coil (in MDF box) = Rs.3900

Navin,
you had recommended the Alpine sub-woofer, which you indicated would be available for around Rs.6000 or so, if I remember correctly. (That thread has been deleted as I had informed you, so can't remember what exact price you had mentioned.) But I cannot seem to find anyone who has that sub-woofer in stock.

But what is your opinion on the above Pioneer sub woofer ??

Cabling / Wiring
Boss or AudioLink set = Rs.850

MDF
Rear Tray = Rs.750
Sub woofer box = Rs.1550

Also navin,
based on your responses in the other thread, do i need both the sub-woofer and the 936s behind ? Can I go with one of them to start with ? Because I defintely want the front soundstage to shape up. Can I first try out just the 936s behind and then add the sub-woofer later if I need it ? So basically, are the 936s on their own able to pump out decent bass (not necessarily loud and boomy, decent bass) when driven by the amp ?

IMPORTANT QUERY:
Will the above setup require any wire-cutting, harness-cutting or such which will void the electrical warranty ?? The dealer (Lucky Motors, Milan subway) has assured me it will not involve any wire-cutting. He has said they will use a connector which will mate with the default harness/socket and into the other end of the connector the head unit will mate in, and so on. Can you please confirm this for me, as I want to ENSURE that my electrical warranty is safe. The dealer is simply scaring me by saying outsiders installing Pioneer etc will definitely do wire-cutting etc.

Looking forward to your responses,

Thanks,
hell_rider

Last edited by hell_rider : 14th December 2005 at 10:33.
Old 14th December 2005, 15:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
Dear all,
HEAD UNIT
Pioneer 5750 = Rs.7200...
IMPORTANT QUERY:
Will the above setup require any wire-cutting, harness-cutting or such which will void the electrical warranty ?? The dealer (Lucky Motors, Milan subway) has assured me it will not involve any wire-cutting. He has said they will use a connector which will mate with the default harness/socket and into the other end of the connector the head unit will mate in, and so on. Can you please confirm this for me, as I want to ENSURE that my electrical warranty is safe. The dealer is simply scaring me by saying outsiders installing Pioneer etc will definitely do wire-cutting etc.

hell_rider
If you reallly need to save 2K use the Pio 5750

Having driven 4 6" subs using the Blaupunkt 450. I feel the 6100 is better at powering subs.

I am very poor at prices. Sam, JB, Mclaren, Gunbir, Aseem, etc are far better.

get better interconnects than Boss. I have not used Boss but I'm told it is not good. I assume Monster Interink Jr. might be a good cost effective option. I will only know for sure after i try it in my wife's car after i get back from Singapore.

JBL is a better sub than Pio. Besides you dont need a sub box the tube it a box.

There are plenlty of installers who are good and will doa good job if told to. SO dont fret too much, just enough to tell your installer to do a good job.
Old 14th December 2005, 16:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

YOu can start with 506 + 936 setup and teh 936 does provide nice bass when driven by amp.

and 506 should be less than 6k. 606 sells for 6k MRP.

Your sub install now comes to around 5.5 k. Just get a JBL tube which should be of teh same price!.

MOst good installers will avoid cutting wires and use that connector ( its costs just 150 or so). You should be able to find good installers in Mumbai. Why not PM some tbhpians and see?
Old 14th December 2005, 17:24   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

best would be to get the 936's up first and see if ur satisfied with the bass..if not then go for the sub but try to make an arrangement such that u can exchange the 936's to the 636's incase u decide to add the sub as the soundstage would be better managed that way..

u can stick to the 5750,it has a better display and almost has all the features of the 7750..stay as far as possible from the boss wiring..they are bad..have seen it personally in rudra's car and another friends too..as far as installers are concerned ask them to use only crimps and connectors to avoid any warranty issues..
Old 14th December 2005, 17:33   #5
BHPian

thanks navin and jkdas,

will go by the setup you have advised.

i have already told the installer i want to check out both the 5750 and the 7750 side by side and that i will probably be going for the 7750.

will drop the pio sub woofer and look at the jbl bass tube or try to get at the Alpine sub you had orignally recommended. will also insist on monster cabling.

one more query,navin, purely for my understanding,

i compared the specs of both the 5750 and the 7750, they are almost identical except for two features. the 7750 has the Organic blue display and has a sub-woofer control. Is the sub-woofer control thing the reason you are recommending the 7750 over the 5750 or any other technical reason ??

thank you for your responses. I am going ahead with the setup. will report back when done (or if i run into any doubts, earlier, though i hope not)

ciao,
hell_rider
Old 14th December 2005, 18:00   #6
BHPian

mclaren,

saw your post after i posted.

good idea that, about keeping the 636s as a replacement option if and when i decide to go for the sub woofer.

point noted about the cabling, navin too has pointed out his reservation about boss. will insist on monster.

thanks,
hell_rider
Old 14th December 2005, 22:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

Yup the 7750 has subwoofer control and that allows you to upgrade. the 5750 is a fine system if you are sure you are not getting a sub.
Old 23rd December 2005, 12:55   #8
BHPian

navin, mclaren and jkdas and sam,
and all others members and posts,

i have got my audio system up and running. It was a bit delayed due to other comittments, but finally got it done.

It sounds quite good for the money i spent. I have decided not to go for the sub woofer at the moment. want to use it for a while as is and then think about the subwoofer.

navin,
i have gone in for the 5750 at the moment. but i have arranged a buy back with the 7750 if and when i decide to go for the sub-woofer. Also failing that i have people who will pick-up my 5750 when i need to go for the 7750. (However, the 5750 does show a sub-woofer control in the functions available)

rest of the system,
JBL Compos up front, woofers on doors and tweeters in dash.
JBL GTO 936 co-axials at the rear on MDF.
PIO 6000 4-channel amp.

Only gripe about the system,
The compos seem to be overwhelmed by the co-axials at the rear, even though front fader is set to 4. I expected some more from the compos. Also the the compos woofer seems to cause the doors to vibrate a bit too much than i would have liked.

Any pointers on the above folks ? how can i get the compos to sound more prominent (basically improve front soundstage) and reduce door vibration ?

Thanks to all of you for making this such a painless exercise.

regards,
hell_rider

Last edited by hell_rider : 23rd December 2005 at 12:57.
Old 23rd December 2005, 13:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and glad that we could help you

Power your 6x9 from the HU or play around with gain setting on your amp. I think there was a post regarding this and hence if you could search or ask our experts here about it.
Old 23rd December 2005, 14:16   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

firstly try setting up the gains properly t achieve optimum soundstage..i think the amp is 6100f not 6000 like u mentioned..to prevent the rattling of the doors damp them with damping pads like wurth,dynamat etc..this will prevent any vibrations and also prevent leakage of sound thus giving u optimum front soundstage..
Old 23rd December 2005, 14:43   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

hell: Your compos cannot be heard because the gains on the front channel are too low. They need to be as much if not higher than the rears. use the active crossover built in the amp and cut the bass to the fronts to about 60Hz and the rattling would also reduce.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 23rd December 2005 at 14:45.
Old 23rd December 2005, 14:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
hell: Your compos cannot be heard because the gains on the front channel are too low. They need to be as much if not higher than the rears. use the active crossover built in the amp and cut the bass to the fronts to about 60Hz and the rattling would also reduce.
This brought back a thing a tbhpian (Carfreak) said to me. His audio installer said not to amplify front speakers and it would create bad soundstage etc!

So since our friend Hell_rider says he has an amp, maybe his installer thought it wasnt worth amplifying the compos! and his amp's just powering the 6x9 !
Old 23rd December 2005, 17:10   #13
BHPian

now, this is the great thing about this forum. "Speak and you shall be heard. And shall receive quick solutions". thanks guys

those were some very good tips and things to try out. will definitely have to look into the padding, gain setting and crossover setting.

seems like my weekend schedule is made.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks