Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2010, 23:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Sq wise, there's nothing great in the 10+k range as well.
I can't look anything that's really built to perform except for the 50K rupee Pioneer P99-RS.
At 50k Clarion HXD2 trumps P99 any given day. And at 10K-20K price point there are still HU's that are good enough might just not be good like P99 or HXD2.

Kenwood 7016 takes a **** on Alpine 9887. P80 is another HU that's good for ~20k SQ wise.
Old 27th November 2010, 09:48   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
P80 is another HU that's good for ~20k SQ wise.
It the P80 still available?

Quote:
How has the SQ been achieved?

As a music collection on the move, while a 16 GB flash drive costs around a 1000 bucks...So, as a standalone memory on the go, the USB flash drives ROCK!
I open a lot of stuff (Sam will testify to this). Some audio manufacturers have come to dread guys like me . The area that most manufacturers skimp on is the Power supply. THere is a lot that can be done before one even thinks of 24 bit Burr Brown DACs to improve SQ. Internal sheilding and damping, tighter PS regulators, etc....are simple to achieve if one is determined.

The 16GB flash drive market is exactly what the 333 seems to be aimed at. I am happy to see that these guys will atleast get Subwoofer level control even if there is no TA.

Stick a 333 + a 644 amp + 4 GT-5 coax speakers and for under 20K you got decent sound. I would have loved to see such a package for 15K (the number of friends who call me up with a 15K budget is surprising) but Sam has to eat too as it is he saves cloth by wearing shorts so that he can keep costs low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
However, do people who buy HUs in the <5k Rs. price-range really care about pre-outs? Let alone 3 pre-outs! Or is this JBLs way of encouraging the possibility of tying this system up to a JBL amp and JBL subwoofer?

Any plans for a A2DP / DLNA enabled HU?
I thoguht about that too Rehaan. Believe me when I say I have dreams about prospective audio equipment. But this HU offers expandability. You get a HU+4 speakers. Add amp. Add subwoofer+amp....and if Sahil Intl. offers a JBL-Scoche deal you can even add damping...the possibolities are quite endless with the limitations of TA, A2DP, etc....

Quote:
Sq wise, there's nothing great in the 10+k range as well.
Ahhh....Sam...you are getting superb feedback with one caveat - we are a little audio-crazy.

I'd love to see a 8-9K HU with everything TA, A2DP, Lossless compatibiltiy, etc.. if it cost 4K more (9K-5K) to add a CD player to the 333 why not add A2DP, TA, etc for 4K instead and cut out the CD player? CDs in a car are for audiophiles. With traffic, rickshaws, horns blaring, etc.. FLAC is adequate for most of us.
Old 27th November 2010, 16:21   #33
BHPian

Hey guys does anyone have an idea when these HU's will be released cause I am really stuck with a tight budget.I thought i would get a sony cdxgt290 from dubai for 279AED but if this HU is coming really soon then i would prefer this option.
Old 29th November 2010, 09:47   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta_21 View Post
Hey guys does anyone have an idea when these HU's will be released
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Last week JBL launched 2 new head units.
Fiesta, the only person who wold have correct information on this would be Sam Kapasi. These Hus were launched about 2-3 weeks ago.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Not entirely true, @bandhav. When i brought ICE for my car, I was on a very very tight budget, and had to compromise on the equipment chosen.
But that does not mean I do not look for technicalities, or my music preferences are generic. I know I am not alone and I personally know more than handful of my friends who are in same boat. For an average Indian, 15K on ICE is a big amount, and I know many guys who want good sounding audio set up in 15K range.

My budget was 15K, and given a choice between JBL333 and Kenny 5043(my current HU), I would have preferred 333 since it gives me much more flexibility and freedom to upgrade (adding amp, sub etc) in future, and I hope it will offer better SQ than Kenny 5043.

I, for one, is really happy to see that JBL is coming out with this and as Navin sir said, I would have been more than happy if JBL kitted 555 with TA, Lossless compatibility etc. instead of CD-drive and it would have been my definite choice next time.

I am not sure why manufactures does not give bundled offers in India like they given in Middle east (My Kenny 5043 came with a pair of Kenny KFC-M6942A 6X9 ovals) and I saw that almost all models from Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC etc. have these bundle offers. Many people think if you buy a particular brand HU, it is best to pair it with same brand speakers – I have had tough time convincing many of my friends/relatives to go for JBL speakers over Pioneer /Kenwood etc. - many want to stick with Pioneer/Kenwood etc. because their HU is Pioneer/Kenwood and they believe that sticking with same company speakers will give them good sound. I hope JBL realizes the potential in this and offers us bundled deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
^^Very valid point here, Customer with tight budgets are hardly concerned about such technicalities, they just need a system within their specific budget which can fulfill their generic music needs.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:47   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Fiesta, the only person who wold have correct information on this would be Sam Kapasi. These Hus were launched about 2-3 weeks ago.
For the record: The press releases are out and the product would be in stock next week. By the time logistics and distribution is complete, I expect you should see in on shelves in stores in about 2 or 3 weeks from today. Believe me, it is big news.

I can also further inform you that no other head unit model, except the 333 and 555 will be released in 2010.

Lastly, if it is ok with the management of Team-BHP, I would be happy to show you a photo of the product.

JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!-india_radio_front_x333.jpg

Disclaimer: I am commercially affiliated to the company that sells the above mentioned product.
I am neither endorsing it in this post, nor recommending that you buy it. I am merely showing you a picture as information, for your interest, since nobody else can do so.

I cannot help you buy it, nor can I arrange a discount. I will not respond to any PMs asking about purchase of JBL products.

I hope you understand.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 29th November 2010 at 14:48.
Old 29th November 2010, 15:27   #37
BHPian

Hey thanks for the information Samji and Navinji.
I know that in a HU having 3 preouts,one of them is dedicated in controlling the Sub,But in some HU's having 2 preouts its given Front+Rear/Sub switchable.What does this mean?Will I be given a separate control over the SUB considering that I have connected a 4 channel amp to the 2 preouts.
Sorry if the question is silly I am still a Newbie here :P
Old 29th November 2010, 15:51   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks for the information Samji and Navinji.
I know that in a HU having 3 preouts,one of them is dedicated in controlling the Sub,But in some HU's having 2 preouts its given Front+Rear/Sub switchable.What does this mean?Will I be given a separate control over the SUB considering that I have connected a 4 channel amp to the 2 preouts.
Sorry if the question is silly I am still a Newbie here :P
No question is silly. It is only the answers that can be silly sometimes.

If a HU has 3 pre-outs, it usually means it has provision to amplify the front channel, rear channel and an additional channel for the subwoofer.

If a HU has 2, with a rear/sub switchable, this means it has the provision to amplify either the rear or a subwoofer. In short, if you wish to amplify your front speakers and rear speakers on separate channels (as is the norm) and add a monoblock to run your sub, you cannot do so and must split one of the RCA outputs.

Clearly the 3 pre-out option is the better and more flexible one.
Old 29th November 2010, 16:03   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
For an average Indian, 15K on ICE is a big amount, and I know many guys who want good sounding audio set up in 15K range..
Exactly!

I know I am not an "Audio Guru" like Sam, B&T, LBM etc..but many of my friends consider me one (among the blind a one eyed man is considered king) the number of them that have set aside a budget fo 15K for ICE is alarming. I know why they have this as their budget. Some sort of mental barrier. Maybe it stems from the fact that 15K = 5K HU + 5K front speakers + 5K rear speakers.

A 3 pre out HU in the 5K price range offers so much more flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I am merely showing you a picture as information, for your interest, since nobody else can do so.
Poor Sam, I really let the genie out of the bottle this time na? Sorry Sam.

BTW I did see adverts in this months ACI and Overdrive yesterday.

Last edited by navin : 29th November 2010 at 16:14.
Old 29th November 2010, 16:31   #40
BHPian

I have one more question.If a HU has 3 preouts,an amp has two inputs(L and R),2 of the preouts will be used for the 2 inputs of the amp.With one remaining preout how can I connect a mono amp for the sub or maybe it is one amp can be connected to one preout.Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 29th November 2010, 16:53   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have one more question.If a HU has 3 preouts,an amp has two inputs(L and R),2 of the preouts will be used for the 2 inputs of the amp.With one remaining preout how can I connect a mono amp for the sub or maybe it is one amp can be connected to one preout.Correct me if I am wrong.
Ah. lol.

3 PAIRS of pre-outs. L+R in each pair.

One pair for the front amp, one pair for the rear amp and one pair for the sub amp.
Old 29th November 2010, 17:17   #42
BHPian

Thanks once again Samji lol.Atleast got the preouts part clear in ICE.I am sure though i'll get all portions of ICE clear by asking questions like these in every thread started about ICE.But thats it for now to keep myself safe from the wrath of the Bhpians
Old 29th November 2010, 18:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if I can ask this question! Who manufactures the JBL HU in India?

Does Harman group have their own facility here or its outsourced?
Old 29th November 2010, 18:30   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I am not sure if I can ask this question! Who manufactures the JBL HU in India?

Does Harman group have their own facility here or its outsourced?
You can ask.

As I have clearly mentioned, the HU is not manufactured in India. It is imported into India.
Old 29th November 2010, 19:49   #45
BHPian

Noob Question!
Does any of these have LP/HP filters? and Variable if any, or is too much to ask in this price range
My AMP's has fixed HPF , was looking for some flexibility..

Cheers
GT

Last edited by GT500 : 29th November 2010 at 19:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks