Old 30th November 2010, 19:00   #1
BHPian

New Amp and sub for existing setup

Hi Planning to upgrade my current setup please advise,

HU Pioneer 4050USB
Front : nothing
Rear : Infinity Ref9633i
vehicle : IKon tdci

Im looking at a budget of <13k for sub and amp if possible front speaker's.
Old 1st December 2010, 09:38   #2
BHPian

Guys im looking for some help
Old 1st December 2010, 13:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Front: components - JBL, Blaupunkt, Hertz, Auditor, ... should be about 5-6K. Don't put this as "if possible" since this is the heart of the system, not what you have in the rear
Sub: JBL or Blaupunkt. With a box, this would be ~4K
Amp: Kenwood / Blaupunkt / JBL / Pio / Sony 4channel, ~4-6K
Cables, installation: another 2-3K

Since you already have a pair of good 6x9s at the back, you can put off getting the sub till you create another budget for it. With the 6x9 on the amp, it will give a decent feeling of bass. When you get a sub, drive the 6x9 from the HU and use those amp channels (bridged) for driving the sub.
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:39   #4
BHPian

Thanks DerAlte,
Based on the comments ive come up with the below configuration, Please let me know if it can be enhanced by adding a diff brand.

Component: JBL GT5-S265C - 5k
Sub: JBL CS 1215 - 4k
Amp: GT5-S422 - 4.5k
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerme View Post
Thanks DerAlte,
Component: JBL GT5-S265C - 5k
S265C is lesser than 5K. While doing research for my ICE couple of
months back, the best price (with bill) I was offered for this model was 3.8K. And moreover this is an entry level component speaker.
If your budget is 5k, few more (better) options will open up for you.
DA will be here shortly to give you better advice.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

These seem to be MRP before bargaining / discount. Where did you get the prices from? S422 will not be able to decently drive a sub. S644 is a better option for a shade more.

IMHO you should try a slightly different approach - set the objective as which equipment you should buy (and then consider the budget at overall level), rather than select equipment which are the lowest cost so that you don't cross your set budget. By the 1st approach you can postpone till you can afford a really good equipment (like good components now, and sub later), by the 2nd you will compromise and get something which may not be that good.

Check around for prices of Blau, Hertz, Auditor and others. If JBL, audition and compare GT5 and GTO before deciding - any good dealer and installer will be able to do that for you. Conversely, if they hesitate to give an audition, they don't know their stuff - it is better to look elsewhere.

Last edited by DerAlte : 2nd December 2010 at 14:02.
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:20   #7
BHPian

why do you have speakers in rear?

assuming there's a reason, you could also begin with S422 and a component set. use the amp only for speakers. postpone the sub for later, get a monoblock for it. or a pre-amped sub.. if you don't want a really low n loud things.
Old 5th December 2010, 00:26   #8
BHPian

Thanks all.... i guess i will postpone the sub to a later time...will add a comp in the front with a proper damping (infi 6030cs-7k after discount :()
Old 5th December 2010, 18:58   #9
BHPian

Hey I heard my friend's ICE and was shocked at the bass generated!!He had a basic pioneer HU with USB front coaxials and rear 6*9(both sony).I couldn't get that much bass when I have invested more except the HU.I have hertz components and 6*9's,sony 6042 amp and ford OEM HU.
I am confused now.Can anyone tell me if I cahnge the HU will I get a better sound quality considering that I already have an AMP.
Also does an AMP generate the same output quality regardless of the input it gets.Please guys really need your help.
Old 5th December 2010, 22:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

No, you are doing an apples to oranges comparison. The other system could have been playing at a higher volume with Bass set to highest (the HUs are different). Don't be disappointed.

An amp DOES NOT produce the same quality regardless of input. Tune your system well, and you can leave the others behind! It will definitely help getting a better HU, but the OE HU will not be incompetent.
Old 6th December 2010, 09:40   #11
BHPian

@DerAlte: Hey thanks for the tips man.Really helped to calm me down.Now in my fiesta's HU the top row of buttons dont function(buttons like next track,CD/FM and the button controlling the bass and treble).This is the main reason I want to change the HU and also I am tired of writing audio CD's.I am planning to go for the JBL(333) HU which is set for its launch soon in the markets.
Anyway can I tune my setup to get a better bass(my amp does not have any bass boost option)?
Old 6th December 2010, 11:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

There is not much you can do if your HU buttons don't work. Could be simple loose contact - see if you can get the Ford service guys to look at it.

Some HUs allow equalization to be changed via remote - do you have that?
Old 6th December 2010, 11:48   #13
BHPian

Got to check if its a loose contact.Anyway I dont have a remote for the HU

Most Viewed