Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 16:42   #1
BHPian

Amp / Speaker problems

Hi,

Looking through threads based on the similar problem, don't want to come to a conclusion as to what is going on with my ICE.

I have the following setup
- Pioneer DEH P5190
- JBL GT5 S644
- Infinity 6030CS (powered by the GT5 S644)
- Infinity 9633i (powered by the HU)
- JBL GT5-10 Sub (powered by the GT5 S644)

Its been about a year since the basic HU and speaker setup and about 9 months since the Amp and sub were installed. I have had phenomenal sound reproduction since and has gotten better with time based on understanding of how to tune all the components together.

Anyways, that is besides the point, the problem arose last month when I was driving to work and I started hearing fluctuations in sounds from the component mounted upfront. Ignored it as it kept coming and going and a simple turn off and turn on solved the problem till it arose again.

Over the days started making an observation and this is what I have figured
- about 20 - 25 minutes into listening to music at car vibrating levels (read volume of 11 - 12 on the HU) the fluctuations start.

Now the fluctuations here I am talking about are complete silence from the speaker to low volume sound from the speaker to extremely disturbing static sounds during these fluctuations.

So from enjoying great sound to not listening to music post 20 - 25 minutes into my drive. On the other hand if the volume is low, the time taken for fluctuations to start is much much longer (but irregular).

Any one with any idea as to what the problem could be?? I am contemplating on switching channels on the RCA outs from the HU. Left to Right and Right to Left to see if it is an amp problem of the component system problem.

I know amps do get hot, but everytime I have checked it is not abnormally hot. So please help!!
Old 4th January 2011, 17:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amp / Speaker problems

1. Open the door and check speaker connections.
2. Check the wiring from amp to crossover to speakers.
Old 4th January 2011, 17:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
Hi,

I have the following setup
- Pioneer DEH P5190
- JBL GT5 S644
- Infinity 6030CS (powered by the GT5 S644)
- Infinity 9633i (powered by the HU)
- JBL GT5-10 Sub (powered by the GT5 S644)
what car? did you check GTOs thread on civic ICE giving problem?
Old 4th January 2011, 18:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
1. Open the door and check speaker connections.
2. Check the wiring from amp to crossover to speakers.
Speaker connections was the first thing checked.. all fine. checked the crossover wiring and amp wiring as well. All fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
what car? did you check GTOs thread on civic ICE giving problem?
Swift Diesel, being a diesel not all amps were suitable, so based on the research the JBL GT5 was picked up!!
Old 4th January 2011, 21:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Check the Power Wire from battery terminal to fuse box in the engine bay.
Old 4th January 2011, 21:31   #6
BHPian

Is it only one component (right pair or the left pair) or both of them ?

I'll suggest you disconnect the sub from the setup & check if the problem persists.

You can also try running the components directly from HU for sometime!
Old 5th January 2011, 13:14   #7
BHPian

if there was an issue with power, would the problems start only after 20 - 25 minutes??
Old 5th January 2011, 13:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes a TBHP member akshay faced similar problem when his power wire went kaput from battery to fuse box. System used to work fine for a few mins and then it used to switch off or HU used to go in protect mode.
Old 5th January 2011, 14:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Yes a TBHP member akshay faced similar problem when his power wire went kaput from battery to fuse box. System used to work fine for a few mins and then it used to switch off or HU used to go in protect mode.
I don't have a separate fusebox, the power is a direct connect to the battery. Could that also be a cause for the problem, a power spike or something??
Old 6th January 2011, 10:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Remove the amp and get it checked at a JBL service center. Quite likely the power supply section in the amp is misbehaving when it heats up.
Old 7th January 2011, 00:30   #11
BHPian

another question, is that normal behavior with an amp, if driving decently hard majority of the time??

Shall have the same removed and checked, ideally would love to pull it out myself but there is a baffling question of pulling the passenger seat out!! I know its not rocket science, but I am quit hesitant to try opening allen screws with the allen keys I have and the ones available in the market!!!
Old 9th January 2011, 14:52   #12
BHPian

I have the following setup in my car:
jbl gtx333 HU
sony 4-channel amp powering the front and rear
hertz esk 570 front compos
hertz ecx 690 rear 6X9's
no damping!
the problem that i'm experiencing is that when i turn the "loud" mode on in my HU and raise the volume beyond a certain level i'm getting a distorted output from my components as well as my 6X9's.Though the loudness is not too much i am getting this distortion when there are lows in the music.
The other problem is that the front left door is rattling too much when there are lows.This problem is not experienced with my right door.
I really need bass from the speakers and i'm not even getting half of what i expected after investing much in this setup. :-(
I really need the help from you guys to help me correct the problems in my setup so that i can get a good bass
Old 9th January 2011, 16:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Set the HPF at the amp to about 60Hz. Your speakers can't go lower than that, and are complaining that they can't handle less than that and are killing themselves trying. Setting Loudness on at the HU boosts low frequencies, BUT this is supposed to be done for low volumes, not at high volumes where it introduces distortion.

If you really want good bass, get a sub, connect it to the bridged rear channels of the amp, and shift the 6x9s to play from the HU. If you connect the sub to the amp, set LPF to 60Hz and HPF to Off for the amp rear channels.

Last edited by DerAlte : 9th January 2011 at 16:49.
Old 10th January 2011, 18:37   #14
BHPian

I am planning on getting the sub soon.I just wanted the music to have enough bass for the time being.I don't have the budget for a mono.If I connect a 300W RMS sub to this amp will it be generating enough bass?
Old 11th January 2011, 10:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

It will not be insignificant, one can say. It is not the wattage of the sub, but the sensitivity figure that is important. Mono is not absolutely necessary unless you want to go around waking up the neighborhood at night.

Most Viewed