Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 19:16   #1
BHPian

ICE for Toyota Altis J - 2 din touchscreen with gps/bt/reverse camera

Dear BHPians,

We would be getting an Altis J, which does not have a music system. Would like to put up a 2 din system, with touchscreen (not very particular about touchscreen now - reasons below), DVD playback, good sound & video capabilities, bluetooth (can omit), USB/Aux, with GPS (can omit), and which can be integrated with reverse camera.

The toyota dealer and a couple of vendors have told us they can fit the Motevo HU, which comes specifically made for Altis, for about 40K. This has an inbuilt GPS as well.

When we tried looking at others, especially Sony XAV 70BT and Pioneer, we found that the screen was almost always jutting out of the console by 5 cms or more in most cases. We would like to keep the centre console flush with the screen ideally, but this was not possible in any of the options. The explanation that the vendor gave was that since the screen needs to come out for playing cds, the screen would always jut out by a small margin. Found this hard to digest though.

Now, most of the vendors where saying Motevo is quite bad when it comes to quality. And for any other unit, we are not very sure if the screen would be flush with the remaining console.

So, pls help me with the following doubts/queries!
1) Is it possible to keep the screen flush with the console? Have anyone did a similar thing in their altis?
2) We are also keen on fitting two screens behind the seats as the car would be chauffeur driven half the time. Xenos screens are available at 7K for a set. Is that a sensible option?
3) Due to the same reason that the car would be chauffeur driven half the time, we are ready to relax the touch screen size for the HU, or even do away with the touch screen alltogether, as long as the passenger can see whats being played behind. We have a budget of upto 30-35 K, excluding speakers, additional screens, reverse camera. Pls advise.
4) Most importantly - Where in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai can we get this done reliably!!..

Pls help and thanx a ton in advance.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE for Toyota Altis J - 2 din touchscreen with gps/bt/reverse camera

I am no ice expert, but.

A fellow bhpian had fitted a touch screen hu from toyota for his altis. As far as i can remember it was fit flush, and merged very well, infact you would think the altis came with the touchscreen right from the factory.

I would suggest you stick with this unit and add screens to the rear.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Buddy get a Caska HU

It costs around 40k and is easily available.
It's a complete Bolt On.No cutting of wires required.

There are various threads on Caska HU's.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:28   #4
BHPian

I have a Pioneer DVD 4150 system in my Fiesta, it does not jut out at all unlike my friends JVC which comes out of the dash like an ill-fitting unit (same car Fiesta). Now the Pioneer 4250 is available in the market and would have everything you need. Go for that one. I will see if I can click a snap and show you but it is in the dashboard completely instead of being visible as a separate unit. Blends well..
Old 24th February 2011, 12:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Caska is a good choice too. Albeit an expensive one. Also not sure if it will fit in as flush as the toyota unit. So i still recommend you stick with the toyota hu. No harm in checking out caska too.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:56   #6
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys for the replies..

@mdsaab - Yeah, the toyota unit blends really well with the console. but some of the vendors gave really bad reviews about Motevo, thats y the concern.

@cityvic - Caska also blends well i believe. But is caska better than motevo (which is the toyota one)?.
In addition - while browsign through team bhp, heard different views about the company, more to do with the operations of the company than the sound system as well. Is the company still in litigations and do they have a place in mumbai where i can buy the stuff?

@ abhi1309 - yeah..if the touchscreens dont blend well, i guess i ll think of the pioneer option eventually!

Still confused
Old 13th August 2012, 12:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuz View Post
Thanks a lot guys for the replies..

@ abhi1309 - yeah..if the touchscreens dont blend well, i guess i ll think of the pioneer option eventually!

Still confused
Hey skuz - what did you eventually end up installing for your Altis. I am contemplating the Altis J as well and in the same dilemma.
Old 13th August 2012, 13:43   #8
BHPian

Hi Lonely planet,

It was the Altis of a friend of mine.
We eventually ended up with the Motevo set, with GPS in built.

+ves
Exceptionally good fit
The GPS package is accurate

-ves
the sound quality is so-so bearable
the bluetooth phone does not work

Attaching some pics alongwith - We had also done a wooden finish for the sides, which looked really good. Been more than an year, and still holds good.
So overall satisfied, except for perhaps the sound quality - which is ok with my friend since he is no music buff or so.
Attached Thumbnails
ICE for Toyota Altis J - 2 din touchscreen with gps/bt/reverse camera-20110306-12.40.13.jpg  

ICE for Toyota Altis J - 2 din touchscreen with gps/bt/reverse camera-20110306-12.41.01.jpg  

Old 13th August 2012, 14:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuz View Post
Hi Lonely planet,

It was the Altis of a friend of mine.
We eventually ended up with the Motevo set, with GPS in built.

Attaching some pics alongwith - We had also done a wooden finish for the sides, which looked really good. Been more than an year, and still holds good.
Thanks - May I ask how much did you end up spending for this ?

Most Viewed