Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:33   #136
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : VW Vento

Vento audio gurus. Here is a noob question from my side.

After sitting on the sidelines twiddling my thumbs, I have decided to take the plunge and upgrade the ICE. I want to do it step by step respecting the economic constraints I have . To start with I would upgrade the speakers first because I have had it now with them. Thanks to inputs from Bala and Topspeeder, I have zeroed in on Focals and am sourcing the Integration 165 series components & coaxials. They seem to be polyglass ones and the reviews seem to be good. One question I have is if I don't immediately upgrade the HU would it cause issues to the stock HU (pre-refresh 2011) in the Vento since the new speaker ratings are higher? So would I need to also add an amp as a failsafe measure while upgrading the speakers. Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:08   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Vento audio gurus. Here is a noob question from my side.

After sitting on the sidelines twiddling my thumbs, I have decided to take the plunge and upgrade the ICE. I want to do it step by step respecting the economic constraints I have . To start with I would upgrade the speakers first because I have had it now with them. Thanks to inputs from Bala and Topspeeder, I have zeroed in on Focals and am sourcing the Integration 165 series components & coaxials. They seem to be polyglass ones and the reviews seem to be good. One question I have is if I don't immediately upgrade the HU would it cause issues to the stock HU (pre-refresh 2011) in the Vento since the new speaker ratings are higher? So would I need to also add an amp as a failsafe measure while upgrading the speakers. Thanks in advance.
Power ratings will not cause problems. (having more will be handy if you want to add amplifier later) Impedance is what you need to look at for the amplifier in the HU.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 01:03   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Sound quality is so-so at best. I have been agonising over upgrading but everyone's advising me to wait till 2013 so I guess I will!
Hi, I'm in the same fix with the original Vento's HU sans USB/AUX. What exactly are folks advising waiting for for the year 2013?
Old 26th November 2012, 01:18   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
AAAHH!! logging in after a real long time. Thanks to DerAlte & BALA80 for your kind response. I have fixed my WITSON HU and it works like a charm.Looks like the installer had got the wiring wrong in the first place.
BTW request inputs on installing a NAV software on the system.

Attaching pictures of the HU after the install.

Thanks
Hi RVD,

I got my Witson 9240V day before yesterday. And I am running into the same problem. No display on the unit, no signs of power up either. What did you fix to get it working? Can you please help asap?
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:01   #140
RVD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
Hi RVD,

I got my Witson 9240V day before yesterday. And I am running into the same problem. No display on the unit, no signs of power up either. What did you fix to get it working? Can you please help asap?
Hi Ph03nix,

Actually, after all the hoopla mine turned out to be a direct fit except that one connecter had to be changed as that was not compatible with the connector on the car. I think the connecter was that of an i10. If you are still not able to fix the problem, let me know and I will try and send you the pics of my install.

Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:02   #141
BHPian

Hi guys,I am expecting my Vento TDI Highline (Sept. 2012 refresh) in a few weeks and have a few questions.Please bear in mind that I'm a total noob when it comes to ICE.

1.Has VW changed the stock speakers in the refresh.I went through two ownership reports,and I'm getting conflicting views.Somebody even compared the setup to SX4's
2.I drive a Cruze currently and I feel the stock system is pretty decent.Can the Vento stock system atleast match up to that??
3.IF I go for a upgrade,I will only change the front and rear speakers.Any good suggestions under 10k??
4.I understand one needs an MDI cable to connect the ipod touch to the HU.Any suggestions as to where I can get that??Can I get it from VW directly??Can I change songs using the steering mounted controls when connected with that cable??

Sorry if any of these questions have already been discussed.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:02   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Hi Ph03nix,

If you are still not able to fix the problem, let me know and I will try and send you the pics of my install.

Thanks
I too got it working. The can bus decoder had gone bust when the installer chap in the showroom tried to see if the plugs fit. I bypassed the decoder and the HU works. The only problem is, I cannot use the reverse camera. Coz the cabled labled reverse goes to the decoder and then I guess the decoder sends a signal to the HU to switch to reverse cam view.

Any idea how I can work around this problem?
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:45   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
2.I drive a Cruze currently and I feel the stock system is pretty decent.Can the Vento stock system atleast match up to that??
3.IF I go for a upgrade,I will only change the front and rear speakers.Any good suggestions under 10k??
4.I understand one needs an MDI cable to connect the ipod touch to the HU.Any suggestions as to where I can get that??Can I get it from VW directly??Can I change songs using the steering mounted controls when connected with that cable??
@KINI, these questions have been discussed. You can do a little searching in the various Vento threads. However, I'll give you a quick answer to some of your questions:

I have been in a Cruze and its ICE is miles ahead of Ventos. At the very least you will need to change the speakers. You can keep them for some time and then decide if you further want to change the music system as well. As of now, I am satisfied with just the speaker change. Here is the link to my post on the speaker change --

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2613006

The MDI cable to connect ipod/iphone is available from VW at about 3.3k. If you want a cheaper option, you will definitely find it on eBay. Some BHPians have got one from eBay at about 1.5k. Check the main Vento thread for links to eBay.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 09:31   #144
BHPian

I have upgraded the ICE in my vento. I have put up the pics and details here --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...-my-vento.html
Old 6th December 2012, 11:20   #145
RVD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
I too got it working. The can bus decoder had gone bust when the installer chap in the showroom tried to see if the plugs fit. I bypassed the decoder and the HU works. The only problem is, I cannot use the reverse camera. Coz the cabled labled reverse goes to the decoder and then I guess the decoder sends a signal to the HU to switch to reverse cam view.

Any idea how I can work around this problem?
Sorry, would not know as I don't have the reverse camera installed on my car. I wonder though if automatic switching is possible at all after bypassing the Can Bus. Maybe the experts can answer this one. BTW, do post a picture of the install.
Old 13th January 2013, 09:54   #146
BHPian

I was planning to buy a Vento and then go for a HU + Speaker upgrade. But after visiting the showroom yesterday and the sales guy taking about wiring warranty going void has scared me.

Technically speaking when does the wiring warranty goes void ?
Old 13th January 2013, 10:24   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
... the sales guy taking about wiring warranty going void has scared me. ...
I think you should either go to a different dealer, or go back to the same dealer and give him a piece of your mind. For the dealer, *everything* is fine - as long as you buy whatever you want FROM THAT DEALER (not even another dealer).

Unless one CUTS the wiring loom resulting in failure of functionality of the car for which VW is giving warranty, the warranty cannot become void. Read the warranty, it is not difficult to understand. Connectors have been provided to connect Accessories, and one never needs to cut the loom. The dealers exploit the ignorance of consumers and try to make a fast buck, even though this has nothing to do with VW and its warranty.

Last edited by DerAlte : 13th January 2013 at 10:27.
Old 14th January 2013, 19:16   #148
BHPian

Thanks for making me smarter. Will see if it works with the dealer. Just replacing the HU + speakers won't require slicing the wiring. Only in case of fitting an amp a wiring change happens. Right ?
Old 21st March 2013, 10:56   #149
BHPian

Its just amazing to come across loads of valuable information on team-bhp on every visit. You just dont know where to stop.

I recently came across this article : http://indianautosblog.com/2013/02/v...w-colors-63531 which was essentially about the new colors. What caught my attention was this paragraph:

"Recently VW updated both the Polo and the Vento with features like an upgraded RCD 320 music system featuring Aux-in, SD memory card slot and Bluetooth connectivity. The cars also get speed sensing volume control and multifunctional steering wheel."

I currently own a Swift VDi (3.6 yrs old and 61K on the odo) and am soon shifting to Vento Tdi HL. I have already booked it and am eagerly awaiting delivery day to dawn soon. In any case, the car I saw only had provision for USB in the glove compartment and no "Aux-IN"

Just wondering if this is a new feature.
Old 21st March 2013, 11:36   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFoot View Post
... You just dont know where to stop. ...
We don't know that there is a limit or boundary somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFoot View Post
... no "Aux-IN" ... Just wondering if this is a new feature.
No, Aux-In feature goes back 30 years or more - it is just another analog input to the mixer in the HU. One can connect to the EP socket of a music device (mobile, iPod, PMP, whatever) using a cable that has a 3.5mm jack at both ends. Song selection and playback is controlled at the music device in this case.

Unlike VW etc., Suzuki usually has a couple of different models that they put in. Different batch sizes, so one has to be careful to look for it *in the car one is getting specifically* before delivery. These models are not identical internally, even though they make look the same.

If you really want Aux-IN and your car doesn't AND they have another model that has, one can request them to change it. Some HUs have the socket (jack socket) on the front plate, some behind the HU. If it is behind the HU, one usually puts an extension cable that brings out the socket to somewhere convenient on the dash.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks