Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite brand of after-market car stereos?
Pioneer 152 60.56%
Sony 26 10.36%
Alpine 60 23.90%
Any other (Pls specify in your post) 13 5.18%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:42   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
Your reasons for objecting to pioneer not being available in india with b&w is fair enough. But i am sure you know that pioneers are available in india with b&w through autocop but they are priced insanely high.

But i have heard that brands like alpine, sony take ages to repair under the warranty period when they are returned to the dealer itself.

Yea, i agree that fake pioneers are also being sold in the market as originals but then even with careful inspection one can get over with this problem as well.
I saw some prices at autocop and those prices scream "we are only here for show unless you are mad or supremely rich dont buy us". I wonder if autocop can sell any in the retail market.

I have not seen an Alpine at a repair shop and Sony has qute a few authorised repair cetners in Mumbai. I once dropped my the 7385 (1987 aloine) from a bedroom window and ran down praying it would work. It still works.

BTW in those days the entire HU used to be pulled out from the car so I used to detach my Hu and take it with me. The Alpine came with a beautiful leather case (the case was later stolen) and was in the case when it fell.

I am not sure any HU (but becker) is built like that anymore. I suspect not even Nakamichi has retained the build quality of the 70s and 80s.
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:43   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
THREE THOUSAND POSTS!! Good God! Congratulations old man!
Geez. I did not know. Seriously. I dont count. BTW you've fallen of the face of the Earth!
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:53   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup, becker's still built like that. Which is why we dont sell it here.
Old 3rd February 2006, 11:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I saw some prices at autocop and those prices scream "we are only here for show unless you are mad or supremely rich dont buy us". I wonder if autocop can sell any in the retail market.

I have not seen an Alpine at a repair shop and Sony has qute a few authorised repair cetners in Mumbai. I once dropped my the 7385 (1987 aloine) from a bedroom window and ran down praying it would work. It still works.

BTW in those days the entire HU used to be pulled out from the car so I used to detach my Hu and take it with me. The Alpine came with a beautiful leather case (the case was later stolen) and was in the case when it fell.

I am not sure any HU (but becker) is built like that anymore. I suspect not even Nakamichi has retained the build quality of the 70s and 80s.
Nothing is built like that anymore. Would you try that with your 9833

The reason you dont see Alpines in repair shops is cuz they do have great quality. But the reason you see more of other brands in repair shops could be that in India Pioneer outsells Alpine 100:1. Its just numbers. Doesnt mean ones more unreliable than the other.

You're right aboutNak. After the chinese takeover, Nak is now selling half assed chinese engineered plasticy HUs with MP3 etc. Except the CD700mkII (which is also going some reliability issues right now).
Old 3rd February 2006, 11:56   #35
Team-BHP Support

Pio probably outsells Alpine 1000:1. I think even Sony and Blaupunkt outsell Alpine 100:1.
Old 9th March 2006, 14:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

How much will I get if I trade-in my Pio X324 amp?
Old 9th March 2006, 14:29   #37
Team-BHP Support

JK, I'd try market place.
Old 9th March 2006, 15:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

get the Pioneer brochure . its a heavy file

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VE3K6P0F
Old 10th March 2006, 01:28   #39

I am out to trade-in my Pio cassette player HU (KEH-P4025) for a Pio MP3 HU at a dealer. My questions are:
1. How much break can I expect from the dealer for the trade-in?
2. I intend to buy w/o warranty. So how do I tell the fake (imitation) from the original? Are there any tell-tale signs to look for?

Thanks,
Santosh
Old 10th March 2006, 10:22   #40
Team-BHP Support

1. If you get Rs. 1000 consider yourself lucky. Take what you can get.
2. I have never figured that one out hence i took the easy route by considering Blaupunkt/Sony/Alpine instead. BTW Autocop now retails Pioneer officially so you could probably get a genuine Pio from them albeit at a considerably higher price.
Old 10th March 2006, 14:38   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Pio probably outsells Alpine 1000:1. I think even Sony and Blaupunkt outsell Alpine 100:1.

interesting stats there Navin. I guess Alpine should look at pricing their head units competitively with the other brands. Since alpine is are getting the head units manufactured from China..i guess they are making big money . Dont you think they are having a high profit margins...they should look at profit by volumes

Alpine brand name is relatively new in the indian context, it wil be sometime before it becomes a common name like the sony or the pioneer..
Old 10th March 2006, 15:31   #42
Team-BHP Support

Alpine does not have the volumes and does not expect to.

Just becuase something is made in China does not mean it is built poorly. IBM/Lenovo laptops are made in China and they outlast most anything else out there.
Old 10th March 2006, 15:33   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree. 90% of JBL is made in a JBL factory in China. Apple is made in China, every iPod is made in China... the list is endless
Old 10th March 2006, 15:35   #44
Team-BHP Support

and the other 10%. I assume the Pro JBL stuff is still made on teh west coast. I mean the 2245, 2235, 2226 woofers.
Old 10th March 2006, 15:37   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Sub tubes were made in Turkey. Some still are, rest from China. Some speakers come from Malaysia (more of the home stuff)
Pro and GTi car stuff still made in The USA. Some speakers used to be made by Audax in France (when it was GT2) GT4 is all made in china now. Stereo amps (HK) come from Korea, AVRs from China.

Quite a few JBL home speakers are made in Mexico. (closest cheap labour to Northridge, california, where the harman headquarters are)

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 10th March 2006 at 15:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks