Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2011, 16:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Noober to Noob - The Journey of an Audio-noob

If I'm still a noob I had to be noober 2-4-6-10 years back.

2000-2005: I want a music system that has a Stereo, Speakers and Woofer
Sony Stereo, Sony Speakers and Sony Woofer. Stereo goes in the dash center, speakers and woofer on the tray in the back.

2005-2008: I want a music system that has an HU, Speakers, Woofer and an Amplifier
Sony HU, Sony Speakers and Sony Woofer. HU goes in the dash center, speakers and woofer on the tray in the back, no clue about the amplifier as I don't even know what it is and how it looks.

2008-2009: I want a music system that has an HU, Speakers, Woofers and an Amplifier
Sony HU, Sony Speakers, Kicker Woofer and some amplifier. HU goes in the dash center, speakers and woofer on the tray in the back, amplifier in the boot somewhere.

2009-2010: I want my ICE to have an HU, Component Speakers, Subwoofers and Amps
Pioneer HU, JBL Component Speakers, JBL subs and JBL amps. HU in the dash center, Components in the door, tweeters in the A pillar, 2 subs in separate boxes in boot, 2 amps somewhere in the boot too.

2010-2011: I want my ICE to have a 1 DIN HU, 6.5" Component Speakers, 12" Subwoofer and a 4-channel Amp
Pioneer/Kenwood HU, JBL Component Speakers, JBL sub and a JBL/Kenwood amp. HU in the dash center, Components in the door, tweeters in the A pillar or mounted on the dash, 1 sub in sealed/ported enclosure, 1 amp mounted on the back of the backseat.

27 Mar, 2011: My ICE consists of a 1 DIN HU, 6.5" Component Speakers, 12" Subwoofer and a 4-channel amp.

Every time one of those boom-boom cars went past me on our peaceful colony streets I would start day-dreaming about how one day I'd have a car with super-hot alloys, fat tyres and a music system that would shake the neighbourhood.

Fast forward 10 years and I have a great sounding setup in my car but this journey was very very...very unnerving.

Last edited by fine69 : 28th March 2011 at 16:27.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Noober to Noob - The Journey of an Audio-noob

2000-2005: Every time I thought of a music system the first thing that came to my mind was a Sony Stereo (that's what an HU was called, at least by everybody around me), Sony Speakers and a Sony Woofer. I spent a few years of my teenage being friends with some rich spoilt brats who would all have a hatchback (Santro mostly but a few had Alto too) and an all Sony setup.

When in car all I could hear was either the latest chartbusters or the occupants (minus me) talking about how that other song had more bass than the one being played and all I could think of was, "One day I would have the best sounding (read bass) setup in my car."

2005-2008: That one day had still not come but since I was in my first job I was sure that soon I'd have my own car and a good sounding music system would be more than necessary. Around 3 years had passed and the car was still a distant dream, so was the music system - my dream music system that would have loads and loads of bass. The only evolution during this phase was that I'd now heard of something called an amplifier which was needed for some current/power thing.

2008-2009: With most jobs comes loads of vella (spare) time and there was only one answer to that - Internet. By 2008 I'd started reading about Car Audio and it was in this year that I first saw (over the net) something called an Amplifier. This Amplifier would amplify the current needed to run the Woofer and the rich ones (who could afford 2 Woofers) can connect it in parallel or serial mode and then there was ohms, yes I read about it in Physics a few years back and RMS, which is the true measure of a woofer capacity (?) and what 50x4 means etc. etc.

Basically this was the time when I read more theory on Car Audio than I had ever read my textbooks in school. The only problem was that I was just reading stuff. Still, I was more confident about getting a music system during this phase than I could ever be.

The other evolution during this phase was that I had read about Kicker making the best woofers in the world (as I read in some forum) and all I wanted was a Kicker woofer in the boot, but boot meant a car's boot and the only pre-requisite (read car) was missing.

2009-2010: Still on the internet, but this time it was team-bhp. I was introduced to what is called a 2-way and 3-way Component Speaker System and this (2-way components) was what I needed in the front door instead of just some speakers. I now also knew of a brand called JBL which made great quality car audio equipments and at prices which were affordable to me.

Pioneer HUs were quite popular here and I had somewhat finalized my ICE (not music system anymore) setup. Pioneer HU with JBL components, JBL sub and a JBL amp. However, this was purely based on seeing a lot of people going for JBL setups with Pioneer HUs. I had no idea how the final setup would sound but then I had nowhere to audition any setup and was only depending on what majority liked. I was just thinking that so many people cannot go wrong and everybody else telling me to audition should instead just tell me what was the best (whatever best means) equipment at a particular price.

2010-2011: The happiness was shortlived, not because I bought my car in May, 2010 (which by the way was one of the happiest days of my life) but because I knew that I had to finalize the ICE for it which I still was unsure of. The only reason JBL was making sense all this while was because - 1) A lot of people were using it & 2) It wasn't as costly as the others (entry-level equipments). But when I started putting up specific queries pertaining to my probable ICE setup things went crazy.

Now I had to choose between Pioneer/Kenwood/JBL and for every question I asked, I was given 10 different answers. By 2011 start, I had no idea what my ICE would look like. The only thing I was sure of was that there was a lot more that I was missing and just sitting on the net asking for recommendations wasn't how it was supposed to be. Things needed to be done differently, but how.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

2011: This new year was different. I was hearing of brands I'd never heard of, Polk (polka dotted apparel line?), Morel (Furniture?), Image Dynamics (animation/special effects?), Ground Zero (Cement?/Power cables?), Rainbow (paints?)…

If after a decade you realize that everything that you thought or knew all along wasn't the real deal then it isn't a pleasant feeling. Every time I would walk in to a Car Audio store I'd see guys talking about Morel/Polk/iD/Rainbow and what not, and all I'd do is quietly excuse myself from the vicinity until I couldn't hear them. I started disliking all these brands merely because I didn't know anything about them except that they'd cost more.

When the answers to almost all my ICE queries on team-bhp had a mention of Polk/Morel/iD I thought may be its time that I extend my budget and actually consider them. But extending my budget by just 1-2k wasn't gonna do the trick. Eventually I gave up the idea of having any of these fancy brands and went back to reading about JBL/Bull/Pioneer/Kenwood. So after spending days and days reading about all kinds of setups and recommendations one fine day I land up at a reputed Car Audio Store with a few things in mind…

HU JBL's x333
Front Components - JBL's GTO 608c or Bull's (some model)
Sub - JBL GTO 1214
Amp - Kenwood 845 or 8401/8404

Half an hour and things went from bad to worse, GTO 608c were too bright for my taste and GTO 1214 sub was no longer available and no other sub at the price of ~4-5k offered 350 rms (which I thought decided the loudness of a sub). I was given the option of a lot of other components (Morel/Rainbow/DD) but as I'd thought, they would cost more. Another half an hour and I'm walking out as unsure as before.

Another 2 weeks go by discussing probable setups in the budget of 35k and I decide it to give another shot. I go to the same Car Audio store, this time with a budget of 35k (against 30k earlier), about an hour of discussion and the setup is finally decided.

HU - JBL x333
Front Components - Morel Maximo 6.5"
Sub - iD CTX 12.4 (12") in a ported enclosure
Amp - JBL GTO 1004

The setup, when shared on t-bhp, is approved of by all t-bhpians who responded but with almost everybody suggesting that instead of a ported enclosure I should rather get it in a sealed one but since I wanted a loud setup I decide against them.

D-day comes and I'm at the store by 11:30 AM as told. The work begins within 5 minutes and by 6:00 PM the front two doors are damped with 2 sheets of Stinger Roadkill, Morel Maximos installed in the front two doors, tweeters mounted on the dashboard (passenger side tweeter facing the driver side headrest and the driver side tweeter facing the passenger side head rest), Bull Audio 5 gauge wiring laid all under the panels and JBL GTO 1004 fixed on the back of the backseat.

Now I was expecting iD's 12" CTX be put in the car but the store manager decides to let me audition Rainbow's Cyclone (12") in a ported enclosure before that. With the gain settings done I start listening to a few tracks and the sub is quite powerful. We replace the sub with ID's 12" CTX in the same enclosure and I again listen to a few tracks. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference so I tell the store manager that since I can experience no noticeable difference I think I'd stick with iD's CTX. I enquire about the enclosure dimensions and they say that it'd be the standard ones that they already have in stock. I check with them as to how much the sub + enclosure would cost and I'm told 10,700. With Rainbow Cyclone costing 11,400 it gets me thinking that with a price difference of only 700 bucks shouldn't I go for Rainbow Cyclone in a ported enclosure which is hand-made from the company itself. I get the store manager's opinion on the two subs and he tells me that people who usually listen to trance go for rainbow cyclone as it integrates better with beats. I trust him and as on 27 Mar'11 - My ICE consists of…

HU - 1 DIN JBL x-333
Front Components - Morel Maximo 6.5" in front doors
Sub - Rainbow Cyclone 12" in ported enclosure (hand-made by company)
Amp - JBL 4-channel GTO 1004
Power Cable Kit - Bull Audio's 5 gauge
Damping - 2 sheets of Stinger Roadkill Damping on Front doors

I didn't click many pics during installation but would certainly be sharing the complete setup pics by this weekend along with price details.

I am blown away with the quality of sound this complete setup offers. Maximos are out of this world and the sub is loud enough to shake all the organs in the body and get ample attention on the streets.

The only doubt that remains now is that somewhere I feel I could've got a better (louder but with a similar SQ) sub + enclosure at 11,400 (if there's one available). Since I started with a budget of ~4-5k for a sub and landed with a 11.4k worth of sub, may be all I'm craving for is assurance from fellow bhpians that the money was well spent here.

Requesting opinion on the overall setup but specifically on sub selection from all, thanks.

Last edited by fine69 : 29th March 2011 at 12:34.
Old 30th March 2011, 00:01   #4
BHPian

I enjoyed reading you journey. Almost everyone goes through the similar situations.

Once you get into the SQ side, the upgrade bug is not going to stop bugging you from time to time.

I have heard Mzximo's and they are pretty good VFM.
I would have personally gone for iD CTX124 (having used same for around 4-5 months) rather than cyclone.

Please share the break-up costs.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
I would have personally gone for iD CTX124 (having used same for around 4-5 months) rather than cyclone.

Please share the break-up costs.
Any specific reason for choosing iD CTX over cyclone? I auditioned both but couldn't really notice any difference, may be because both were in the same ported enclosure but then I wanted the setup to be louder and hence ported.

The total cost of installation was 43650/-
Out of the complete setup I only remember the break-up for a few
JBL x333 - 4,500
JBL GTO 1004 - 12,500
Rainbow Cyclone with ported enclosure - 11,400
The total for this is 28,400

So Maximo's, Bull Audio's Power Kit, Stinger Roadkill Damping (2 sheets), MDF rings and all other cables total to 15250 (does this sound too much?)

For exact break-up details please give me a day or two.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Liked the journey so far, and glued to see the rest

HU - 1 DIN JBL x-333

I have almost decided on this combo for my next audio upgrade - hopefully somewhere in June-july. I am still searching for a sub (tentatively I am looking for iD) , and have not decided on wiring, damping etc.

But then you never know where you will reach until you are done with your ICE.

Please share the breakup cost - can you please PM me the installer details, if you do not plan to put them up here.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:16   #7
BHPian

I found CTX to be more precise and it was integrating beautifully. It seemed like the woofer was right in front of the car.

I was looking for more of Kick bass rather than boom, that also helped CTX's cause.
My CTX was in 0.8 cu/ft SEALED box and it sounded really tight.
Old 30th March 2011, 11:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
HU - 1 DIN JBL x-333

I have almost decided on this combo for my next audio upgrade
You will not regret it and GTO 1004 would make the next upgrade a little lilghter on the pocket.
BTW I got this done at Driven, EOK, Delhi.

Quote:
I was looking for more of Kick bass rather than boom, that also helped CTX's cause.
You made the perfect choice. Almost everyone has appreciated the accuracy & punch with which iD CTX delivers the kick bass. I was initially inclined towards an SPL setup but with this budget I couldn't go the SPL way throughout so thought of sticking with a louder sub in a ported enclosure.

I am still contemplating putting 2 JBL 1215 instead of Rainbow's cyclone to get a louder setup but don't know if it'd be a wise thing to do since JBL's wouldn't match Rainbow's SQ. As I said, may be all I need is some assurance from fellow bhpians.
Old 30th March 2011, 14:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

fine69 very nice write up & your equipment choice is just fine. I auditioned Morel Maximo 6.5 and they are good VFM components.

If you are happy with the equipment choice nothing else matters. CTX 124 wont be loud compared to Rainbow in ported.

You wont be able to rub 2 x JBL 1215 until and unless you go for a MONO amp. If i am not mistakes 1215 is a 4 ohm SVC (Single Voice Coil woofer) and JBL GTO is not stable at 2ohm bridge load.
Old 30th March 2011, 16:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
fine69 very nice write up & your equipment choice is just fine. I auditioned Morel Maximo 6.5 and they are good VFM components.
Thank you

Quote:
If you are happy with the equipment choice nothing else matters.
Is exactly what my wife told me but as I said before, assurance from audiophiles (such as you) was very important to me.

Quote:
CTX 124 wont be loud compared to Rainbow in ported.
I'm soooo happy to hear that.

Quote:
You wont be able to rub 2 x JBL 1215 until and unless you go for a MONO amp. If i am not mistakes 1215 is a 4 ohm SVC (Single Voice Coil woofer) and JBL GTO is not stable at 2ohm bridge load.
You are right, never thought about this actually.

I must confess that until this afternoon I wasn't sure if my equipment choice was right or not, I wasn't sure if I chose the best equipments at this price or not, I wasn't sure if I should again visit the installer store to modify this setup. However, when I picked up my wife from work today afternoon (we both had half-days, thanks to Indo-Pak cricket match) I shared my dilemma with her and she helped me in clearing my head.

All along I was thinking that my setup should be heard from miles away when I myself can't handle more than 10 mins of heavy bass music in this setup at full volume (80% of HU's actual full volume). I don't know how many would believe but I've actually had a headache by the time I reached office in the last 2 days just because I couldn't resist showing it off and played it too loud most of my way.

The setup is very much capable of shaking all the organs in the body and within 5 mins of heavy bass track listening it makes my heart come somewhere in the oesophagus (I don't know how many can relate to it). Then why am I so hellbent in showing off an even louder setup.

May be because I just wanted to show off and this is what we (me & wife) clarified during our journey back home i.e. it is a lot more important that the setup sounds good to us rather than people on the road whom we don't even know.

The setup is super clean, super loud (in car) and even loud enough outside to turn people's heads. This is exactly what I wanted but then nothing's loud enough when it comes to SPL lovers.

As I write this I feel content and very happy in having this setup in my car.

I'd strongly recommend Maximo's for being an unbelievable VFM components that they are, Rainbow's Cyclone to those looking looking for a somewhat SPL setup (whatever one 12" sub SPL setup means) with equally good SQ, JBL's x333 for being a great VFM HU (everybody knows this) and JBL's GTO 1004 for being the powerful amp that it is.

PS: Wifey, if you are reading this please don't go by what I said above, your opinion is faaaaaaaaar more important than anybody else's :P
Old 31st March 2011, 00:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
You made the perfect choice. Almost everyone has appreciated the accuracy & punch with which iD CTX delivers the kick bass.
I have graduated to iDMax now.
Well, thats another topic for another day.

Looking forward to more detailed review of the setup from you. And, please post some pictures.
Old 31st March 2011, 10:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found CTX to be more precise and it was integrating beautifully. It seemed like the woofer was right in front of the car.

My CTX was in 0.8 cu/ft SEALED box and it sounded really tight.
you rightly said about that sub sumit!! i really like that sub !!!
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:20   #13
BHPian

@fine69
Congrats for the ICE upgrade. You have managed to pen down the journey very nicely and I believe everyone goes through the same phases.

I don't think you could have gotten better ICE in this price. Having heard the Rainbow sub, I am quite sure it was a better decision to prefer it over the CTX. I have mostly heard the CTX subs in sealed box setups where they really shine but I doubt they would have gone loud in ported.

And the Maximos, I'll say it again, they are a steal for the price they come! Total VFM.

Do share a few pics/videos if possible. Cheers!

Quote:
I have graduated to iDMax now.
Well, thats another topic for another day.

Looking forward to more detailed review of the setup from you. And, please post some pictures.
Sumit, the Sound Off section deserves a dedicated thread on your ICE. It's one of the finest setups in India and I think it's about time you shared your ICE journey.
Old 3rd April 2011, 15:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
Sumit, the Sound Off section deserves a dedicated thread on your ICE. It's one of the finest setups in India and I think it's about time you shared your ICE journey.
I know sukhjot!!! I am working on it. I am actually waiting for the trip to delhi before I pen down the journey.
Old 8th April 2011, 11:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

The dampening material used was Stinger's Roadkill.

Noober to Noob - The Journey of an Audio-noob-photo015.jpg

Noober to Noob - The Journey of an Audio-noob-photo016.jpg

We had initially planned on using 3 dampening sheets for the front two doors however by the end of a meticulous installation by the gentleman there, we had 1 sheet left. He was able to use the dampening sheets outside (pics above) as well a large enough polygonal piece behind the Front Component in each door. I was insisting on using the 3rd sheet inside the door as well but he assured me that it wouldn't be necessary and post the install if I feel that there still are too much vibrations/noises he'd open up everything again and dampen the inside also.

And boy was he right! I still recall the time post installation when I was hearing the Maximos, there was absolutely no unwanted noise due to vibrations in the door, there still isn't. May be extensive dampening would take the experience up a level but even those 2 sheets are able to satiate the audio noob in me.

MDF ring on the front left door

Noober to Noob - The Journey of an Audio-noob-photo017.jpg

Here comes the Supercool VFM Components…All hail the Maximos!

Noober to Noob - The Journey of an Audio-noob-photo018.jpg

Noober to Noob - The Journey of an Audio-noob-photo020.jpg
Sir one autograph please! What? I'm a fan!!

I heard the front right door of my Swift whisper in Maximo's ear, "You complete me!"

Noober to Noob - The Journey of an Audio-noob-photo021.jpg

Last edited by fine69 : 8th April 2011 at 11:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks