Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2011, 11:57   #1
BHPian

Chevy Cruze Audio upgrade

Folks,

NOTE: I have did the necessary searches, didn't find a thread to match my exact needs. so creating my own.

I have the 2011 model cruze (this comes with a single cd changer / usb/aux in). Ideally, I don't want to touch this headunit setup.

Having said that, how can I improve the sound quailty? These are my requirements:

1. Better SQ - I like it if the sound feels like it is coming from the HU instead of each speaker singing by itself. Clarity is paramount too - most of the times I am listening to hiphop/ (soft to hard - no death metal) rock / tamil music / famous hindi/english pop songs when family is around.
2. I like feeling the bass rather than hearing it. I like the car shaking feeling on deep beats.

With my constraint of not touching the HU (and hence taking outs from the stereo output), What upgrades can I do? will a sound processor work off the regular outs? Do I even need a sound processor? Should I go components or just add a mono+2 subs and be done with it? (I don't hate the OEM system - it solves the purpose).

FWIW, I had a pioneer regular setup in my Invader with Alpine M350 powering two pioneer 12" 1200W woofers before this. Now, I would probably find it too loud though.

Thanks, Subu
Old 30th March 2011, 12:11   #2
BHPian

re: Chevy Cruze Audio upgrade

Its good to see that the bug has bitten YOU! I will keep watching this thread. In case, you do go ahead and change the HU, just let me know. I won't mind picking it up. That said, GM did get back to me and I have been informed that in my town/region, GM's technicians don't have the expertise to install the new HU in the older vehicles. This then leaves me with the only other option which is to go in for the Caska unit.

About the Cruze's OEM sound, I am surprised that you find it inadequate. I am trying to replicate the setup of the Cruze on my Safari! I am more than happy with the music the Cruze is capable of producing.
Old 30th March 2011, 14:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chevy Cruze Audio upgrade

The Caska HU for the Cruze will not give you very good sound, but it will give you features.

If its only sound that you want, get a processor like the Alpine PXE-H660 or the Rockford 3sixty.2. I have the Alpine PXE-H650 in my Accord running of the stock HU, and man it sounds brilliant for what ive spent.
Old 30th March 2011, 15:07   #4
BHPian

I want iPod connectivity. That is my only gripe about the Cruze. I am happy with everything else.
Old 30th March 2011, 15:43   #5
BHPian

@akshay - just trying to get this perfectly clear: can the audio processor run off stereo outs or does it require pre-out?
Old 31st March 2011, 02:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
@akshay - just trying to get this perfectly clear: can the audio processor run off stereo outs or does it require pre-out?
No it does NOT need pre outs. It can run of your speaker inputs also. And do a damn good job with those.
Old 31st March 2011, 03:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

You should get this.
Old 31st March 2011, 08:44   #8
BHPian

Have been reading up on this: Looks like RF 3sixty.2 is ranked a bit above MS-8. so this is gonna cost me $600 and good components can cost from $150 to $450 (polk db6501 / Alpine SPX-13PRO / CDT Audio HD-52). I am assuming I will need a 4 channel amp (Alpine PDX-5 costs $370 or so) and a good sub from here. I will try and audition what I can in Chennai too - but any comments on what has worked for people would be awesome.

I am quoting $$ because I will be shipping at least the DSP down here. (Looks tiny) Components may be - if size permits. I am almost sure my friends will murder me if I ask them to get a sub / amp. So do give me some decent recommendations and local prices(I would love to keep this around 50-75k budget).
Old 31st March 2011, 08:56   #9
BHPian

I have heard a Cruze OE HU playing through a Audison Bit One. It sounded really good but it was kind of a semi-active setup. You could probably try going that direction. If you interested we could try for an audition in that car. PM for more details

Last edited by donarun : 31st March 2011 at 09:01.
Old 16th August 2011, 16:26   #10
BHPian

Hey SubuS, Did you do your HU upgrade? I'm getting my Cruze in a week's time and am in the same boat as you are. I want better sound but don't want to touch my HU. Too bad the HU doesn't give pre-outs...
Old 16th August 2011, 17:05   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Hey SubuS, Did you do your HU upgrade? I'm getting my Cruze in a week's time and am in the same boat as you are. I want better sound but don't want to touch my HU. Too bad the HU doesn't give pre-outs...
SubuS has already sold or is selling his Cruze. Check his thread for details.

Btw, the only way you can upgrade the OEM HU is fitting a Caska unit. Other options may not give the same fitment.

His car in classified section :-

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...et/Cruze.html/
Old 16th August 2011, 17:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
SubuS has already sold or is selling his Cruze. Check his thread for details.

Btw, the only way you can upgrade the OEM HU is fitting a Caska unit. Other options may not give the same fitment.

His car in classified section :-

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...et/Cruze.html/
Sorry I didn't know. Too bad, he seemed to have put a lot of effort into his car. Anyway thanks for the info. I'll look into the Caska.

Mods should probably close his threads huh?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks