Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2011, 14:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded my amp

Hi Everyone!

I had previously posted regarding my ICE upgrade: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...io-system.html. Where I talked about upgrading my HU, stock speakers and an amp.

Though everything was fine, i began to feel there was a lack of bass at low volumes and vibrations from the door panels, if you increase the volume.

I therefore decided to get a subwoofer done.

There were three options:

(1). Use the existing 4 channel amp, with two channels feeding the front speakers while the rear channels are bridged to drive the sub. The rear speakers may be driven from the HU alone.

(2). Purchase a second amp, a 2 channel or a monobloc and use it to drive the sub.

(3). Purchase a 5 channel amp.

Option 1 did not excite me much as i wanted all channels to be driven by the amp, because there may be a difference in the quality of sound between the front and rear speakers. Furthermore, the people sitting at the rear seats would definitely find the sound to be different. So this option was ruled out.

Option 2 had to be ruled out because i did not want to have another amp in the car; moreover the cost of a monobloc scared me.

Option 3 was finally settled for because this offered a single unit with 4 channels for the front and rear while an extra mono channel for the sub.

I chose the Hertz EP5 amp. It delivers 60Wx4 and 160W for the subwoofer.

The subwoofer I chose was the sub-box from Hertz Dieici series, sub-box 250. Because the woofer and the box are from the same company, that too, integrated, I felt the quality to be superior. I am mostly into the music part of it rather than SPL.

I had everything done as usual at Autofusion, by Thouqueer.

The installation took about two hours, including the tuning.

The sound quality: The missing bass is certainly bridged. The normal listening volume is 5/40, with 10/40 being reasonably high, shaking the car!
The only drawback i found is that this sub does not give the "boom-boom" show-off which i partially desired. However, considering the musical quality, I'm happy with this setup.

Nitin
Attached Thumbnails
Upgraded my amp-img00010201103300742.jpg  

Last edited by nitinbose : 30th March 2011 at 14:26.
Old 30th March 2011, 18:21   #2

Re: Upgraded my amp

Congratulations Nitin. Can you please let us know where you got it from and also the price paid for it.
Old 30th March 2011, 19:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auriga View Post
Congratulations Nitin. Can you please let us know where you got it from and also the price paid for it.
I got it from Autofusion, Bangalore (Thouqueer), paid 17.5K for the amp and 8.5K for the woofer & 650 for wiring. with B/w.

regards,

Nitin
Old 4th April 2011, 15:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone!

I went back to Autofusion and had the subwoofer changed to the Pioneer TS-WX303. The Hertz sub was jarring when the bass and sub gain were increased on the HU.

This sub offers 250W nominal @ 4 Ohms load with 98db efficiency! I also found the cone to be thicker hence deeper bass.

Nitin
Attached Thumbnails
Upgraded my amp-tswx303.jpg  

Old 18th April 2011, 22:11   #5
BHPian

how is ts-wx 303 in performance?
Old 19th April 2011, 09:22   #6
BHPian

Congrats on the buy . Looks neat !!
Was wondering on the prices involved and assuming that to be on a higher side (8.5 K) was wondering how different it would be from a 1000 W Kicker sub (10") @ 8700 INR ?

The only thing to consider would be that Kicker sub doesnt come with the Box and that needs to be custom fabricated .
Assuming you are an audiophile , You might want to reconsider auditioning the Kicker sub , its just a treat to hear and just would need a few hundreds extra to get the box fabricated .

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 19th April 2011 at 09:52.
Old 19th April 2011, 09:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to see someone move to Pioneer sub from a Hertz. Couldn't they re-tune and solve the issue? Hertz needs just 150W continuous power which it wasn't getting maybe?
Old 25th April 2011, 14:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

HI,

@Auriga: I purchased it from Autofusion, Bangalore (Thouqueer) - My regular shop!

@wgudale: It works well! I somehow like its bass response and reproduction better to hertz. It has a thicker cone and the power is 250W, so can stand some higher power. Its also a 12".

@jealousdiamond: I'm aware of Kicker subs. I guess I'll have to leave it to my next upgrade, with a more powerful amp.

@jkdas: The jarring issue was distortion from the HU when I increased the bass, increased the sub level and the bass at the equalizer along with loudness. I was asking for too much and the bass was boosted beyond acceptable levels, resulting in the jarring.

I did some further tuning on my own. Adjusted the cross over of the components to about 80Hz and kept the sub at 150Hz (as I listen to Indian songs, mostly malayalam), followed my the levels and its simply sweet! Though I would say Hertz sounds quite bright, somewhat like a club audio system.

regards,

Nitin
Old 25th April 2011, 14:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Though I would say Hertz sounds quite bright, somewhat like a club audio system.
subwoofer sounded bright?
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgudale View Post
subwoofer sounded bright?

I said Hertz sounds bright; I have a 5-channel amp out of which the 4 channels for the front and rear sounds bright.

regards,

Nitin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks