Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 03:23   #1
BHPian

ICE for my Honda City

Hi,
As all of you would agree after reading posts on tbhp one will surely get more confused...and i am totally confused and the ICE keeda has bitten bad.

Sleeping hours have been reduced and Tbhp hours have gone up, getting a lot of cursing from the better half aswell, but ICE is ICE, what to do

I am buying a City 1.5 AT and to start with i want to go in for a double din, with front comps, rear coax, 2 amps..one for the speakers and the mono for sub. In the beginning probably go with one sub and add another one in a few months.

Went to Gyro(even after reading the posts that it was closed but then somewhere it was mentioned it was open, but all in vain and the petrol pump attendant said "woh toh bahut din se band hai" and any number "nahi kuch nahi hai" so headed to Elegant, Lajpat Nagar and he was suggesting to choose between Infinity, JBL, Rockford and was saying after sales service is not good for Morel and DLS and didnt have them on demo as well.

Anyways heard the following
Components - Infinity REF6530cs with JBL GT5-S644 and Infinity Kappa Four and the difference was noticeable but found the comps harsh all together..so not keen on those.

Subs -
Infinity1220DE (dual sub enclosure) with Infinity Reference 1600a(which i think is a old model)..didnt enjoy the setup too much and then
RF P2L-2X12 (Two P2D412's in the enclosure) with RF R500.1 amp and liked the sound

Coax - None

Trying to go to Driven day after and wanted to know what brands can be auditioned there ? (afaik i think they do stock a lot of brands)

Can someone please suggest good/ tried n tested places for installation and demos in Delhi/NCR ?

Also saw this website carplus.in(its been mentioned on some thread as well) and got to know from a friend that they do installs also. Has anyone got their install done from them ? If so, comments please !

I like a setup inclined towards SQ but with good bass. I mostly listen to instrumentals, house, old rocks.

After reading so much i think i want this in the car
Front Comps - Morel Maximo 6.5" ( After reading a few ICE setup's for the city i believe 6.5" will fit the stock door location) or if i can listen to DLS, Rainbow, ID(not sure as to buy them or not now).
Rear Coax - Not Sure
Sub - Infinity Kappa 120.9 (Wanted in a custom FG enclosure on the side of the boot, but will the quality be reduced as compared to a regular enclosure?)
Amp 4 Channel - Infinity Kappa 4(trying to source from US)
Amp Mono - Rockford Fosgate R500.1
HU - Pio 4250
Wiring - Trying to arrange Monster from US (O gauge power cable with distribution block split into 4 gauge and a 4 channel RCA for the 4 channel and a 2 channel for the mono, with fuses and etc.)
Dampening - Dynamat was quoted by Elegant for 2k per sheet of 3.5 sq.ft. (Not sure on this)

Also for the Honda dash found out from dealer and he quoted approx 14k(the complete dash including ac vents, ac and degoffer buttons, fan rotary dials etc.), but elegant quoted 4k for original honda part with ac and rear defogger switch but the fan control dials, hazard light switch and ac vents to be used of the original panel, any other options ?

My Budget is approx. 1lac +-10% for the entire setup, but please no more (have seen how budgets get ripped apart)

Looking forward to a fun and loooong ICE experience !

P.S. - Sorry for the long post, but too many questions to ask.
Old 11th April 2011, 14:41   #2
BHPian

re: ICE for my Honda City

Take as many demos as possible with various set-ups. I think i met you at driven the other day, i have a design for a box i used in baleno which aman had made for me to save boot space.

Personally, you should be looking at a good hi-end HU at that budget, are you sure you want a DVD player?

If you found the Infinity to be harsh, you can audition Hertz/Audison, Rainbow, Morel etc. A lot of people here have many different setups, you can check them out. A whole lot depends on what equipment has been paired with what and how has the set up been tuned. This can make a big difference.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th April 2011 at 16:19. Reason: Pls don't quote such a large post. Thanks
Old 11th April 2011, 14:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
Take as many demos as possible with various set-ups. I think i met you at driven the other day, i have a design for a box i used in baleno which aman had made for me to save boot space.

Personally, you should be looking at a good hi-end HU at that budget, are you sure you want a DVD player?

If you found the Infinity to be harsh, you can audition Hertz/Audison, Rainbow, Morel etc. A lot of people here have many different setups, you can check them out. A whole lot depends on what equipment has been paired with what and how has the set up been tuned. This can make a big difference.
I have never been to driven ..
i agree that a lot depends on the setup and tuning,
where all can i take demos or who can i contact for demos ? I am keen on morel, hertz, rainbow's

and for the pio hu i want a touch screen, so pio4250 looked like a option but which are the hi-end hu's on the market, i can check them out too.
Old 11th April 2011, 14:57   #4
BHPian

You can also try Motor Concepts in Delhi, pretty decent place.

Also make sure you audition the components you choose to install, dont just go with recommendations.

Also would suggest plan what budget you want to set aside for each item for your ICE, it helps in choosing the right equipment.

Your budget is good for getting a good ICE for your car.

HU - 15-20 K (Alpine 9887/117; Kenwoods, Pioneer)
Comps - 15 - 20 K (DLS / Focal / Morel / Hertz / Rainbows)
Amps - 15 -20 4/2 channel for comps, Mono for sub (JBL / Rockford / Alpine /Kenwood)
Sub - 10- 15 (Morel / ID's)
Damping / Wiring - 12K
Old 11th April 2011, 15:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
You can also try Motor Concepts in Delhi, pretty decent place.

Also make sure you audition the components you choose to install, dont just go with recommendations.

Also would suggest plan what budget you want to set aside for each item for your ICE, it helps in choosing the right equipment.

Your budget is good for getting a good ICE for your car.

HU - 15-20 K (Alpine 9887/117; Kenwoods, Pioneer)
Comps - 15 - 20 K (DLS / Focal / Morel / Hertz / Rainbows)
Amps - 15 -20 4/2 channel for comps, Mono for sub (JBL / Rockford / Alpine /Kenwood)
Sub - 10- 15 (Morel / ID's)
Damping / Wiring - 12K
Ya heard of motor concepts as well, planning a visit there too.have you heard of car plus ?

Also now with iD being closed down(what i understand from the forums) doest it make sense to buy new products from them or its better to avoid ?

Yes for sure will hear all the options and approximate budget for equipments would be

HU - 20k
Comps - 10k
Coax - 6-8k
Amps 4 Channel - 12k from US
Amps Mono Channel - 12k
Sub - 10-15k
Damping - 10k from US Dynamat
Wiring - 15k from US Monster
Old 11th April 2011, 16:14   #6
BHPian

Not heard about Car Plus.

ID has not closed down as far I have read on the other forums, its just the owner and product designer has moved out of the brand due to some issues with the financier who also was a partner.

You can anyways try other brands if you are skeptical about this particular brand, i would still want to get IDQ for my ride....long time contemplating....
Old 11th April 2011, 17:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Not heard about Car Plus.

ID has not closed down as far I have read on the other forums, its just the owner and product designer has moved out of the brand due to some issues with the financier who also was a partner.

You can anyways try other brands if you are skeptical about this particular brand, i would still want to get IDQ for my ride....long time contemplating....
Carplus is giving good rates for equipment tho, and regarding iD, i have read a lot about them and their quality, will try and visit places in the coming week to audition brands.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:06   #8
BHPian

Re: ICE for my Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashshroff View Post
I have never been to driven ..
i agree that a lot depends on the setup and tuning,
where all can i take demos or who can i contact for demos ? I am keen on morel, hertz, rainbow's

and for the pio hu i want a touch screen, so pio4250 looked like a option but which are the hi-end hu's on the market, i can check them out too.
oh cool. there was a guy on friday with a honda city asking for a side box. Hertz Hi-energy is put up in Aman's car running direct off the head unit alpine 9887. Rainbows are there with a lot of guys, if you stay close to car plus, you can check with abhishek who stays there and has rainbow installed in swift. but it's titanium series with metal dome tweeters.

you first need to decide whether you want a good HU just for music or a touchscreen DVD. you can also consider old equipment to keep costs down if you are comfortable with it, so a used Pioneer P80 types should be well around 15-20k.

then you need to decide whether you need a 4+1 set up with rear speakers or a 2+1 with just the front stage. if you don't use the rear seat and drive yourself, you can save the rear speaker money and get nicer front sets and a good 2 channel amp to drive it.

after that, you can pick up a mono amp and a sub to your liking. keep some 15-18k aside for damping and wiring.

ideally setups in this league don't stop upgrading... so in my case, i slowly have traded equipment over the years from a kenwood bull to an eclipse audio art id and now further up. so no future upgrades would see a holistic setup. with future upgrades in mind, you can go a slightly different way getting a better HU and amps, and going with lesser speakers which you can trade after a year or two and upgrade. but there'll always be a gap. no budget ever is enough
Old 12th April 2011, 17:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
oh cool. there was a guy on friday with a honda city asking for a side box. Hertz Hi-energy is put up in Aman's car running direct off the head unit alpine 9887. Rainbows are there with a lot of guys, if you stay close to car plus, you can check with abhishek who stays there and has rainbow installed in swift. but it's titanium series with metal dome tweeters.

you first need to decide whether you want a good HU just for music or a touchscreen DVD. you can also consider old equipment to keep costs down if you are comfortable with it, so a used Pioneer P80 types should be well around 15-20k.

then you need to decide whether you need a 4+1 set up with rear speakers or a 2+1 with just the front stage. if you don't use the rear seat and drive yourself, you can save the rear speaker money and get nicer front sets and a good 2 channel amp to drive it.

after that, you can pick up a mono amp and a sub to your liking. keep some 15-18k aside for damping and wiring.

ideally setups in this league don't stop upgrading... so in my case, i slowly have traded equipment over the years from a kenwood bull to an eclipse audio art id and now further up. so no future upgrades would see a holistic setup. with future upgrades in mind, you can go a slightly different way getting a better HU and amps, and going with lesser speakers which you can trade after a year or two and upgrade. but there'll always be a gap. no budget ever is enough
I think i will go for pio dvd as of now
and im far away from carplus, but will go there during the week ..and which abhishek to contact..i for some reason cannot send pm's from my account..

and old equipment a no no..i want b&w in electronics, just a belief which gives peace of mind.

and want a 4+1 setup for sure but coaxails will do for rear and then of course a 4 channel amp with a mono, and im already thinking of future upgrades before my initial setup, damn the ice bug.
With a side enclosure for the sub(s), is the quality compromised as compared to a vented or ported one ?
and not related but dynamat just arrived from us yesterday, so excited now !

eager for demo's now, please tell me who all i can ask or call for auditions ..thanks a lot !
Old 13th April 2011, 12:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashshroff View Post
With a side enclosure for the sub(s), is the quality compromised as compared to a vented or ported one? eager for demo's now, please tell me who all i can ask or call for auditions ..thanks a lot !
well, initially i thought the side enclosure would solve my space problem. but over time i realised if it was 1 or 2 suitcases, even the normal box was not a problem. if it was more, then the side box also had to be removed a couple of times. so the issue became box or no box, didn't matter where it was, it took space anyway.

as such there shouldn't be a problem in quality but practically there was because the design had too many edges and leaves air gaps and getting a carpenter to do some odd design with a great finish is a trying job... not that it can't be done.

i'll PM you aman's number and you can take some other numbers from him and see who can spare time n when. been asking t-bhp to up a volunteer's list for this very reason... check out sound n show off thread and see setups and check out the commercial directory, you'd find some recommended shops n people.

ah well, looks like i can't PM you either. aman - 99714 18814, just give him t-bhp reference and say you wanted to listen to Hertz.

Last edited by montyguru : 13th April 2011 at 12:22. Reason: addition
Old 13th April 2011, 16:57   #11
BHPian

For a side enclose choose Fibre based enclosure instead of wood, better and easy to shape and you can work around the gaps accordingly.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
well, initially i thought the side enclosure would solve my space problem. but over time i realised if it was 1 or 2 suitcases, even the normal box was not a problem. if it was more, then the side box also had to be removed a couple of times. so the issue became box or no box, didn't matter where it was, it took space anyway.

as such there shouldn't be a problem in quality but practically there was because the design had too many edges and leaves air gaps and getting a carpenter to do some odd design with a great finish is a trying job... not that it can't be done.

i'll PM you aman's number and you can take some other numbers from him and see who can spare time n when. been asking t-bhp to up a volunteer's list for this very reason... check out sound n show off thread and see setups and check out the commercial directory, you'd find some recommended shops n people.

ah well, looks like i can't PM you either. aman - 99714 18814, just give him t-bhp reference and say you wanted to listen to Hertz.
ya thats what i understood with the side boxes, but i will go in for fg boxes which should not have air gaps and will try to get someone who has experience in fg.

Thanks for the number will follow up(i dont know whats with the pm thingy ), ya a volunteer's list would be of great help to everyone around, i hope it comes up soon.

Quote:
For a side enclose choose Fibre based enclosure instead of wood, better and easy to shape and you can work around the gaps accordingly.
yes, if side enclosures then fg only, no mdf..
Old 14th April 2011, 02:20   #13
BHPian

I was calculating wiring requirements and planning to go for 1/0 gauge from battery to dist. block and then 4 gauge to each amp which will be individually fused, probably more than required but future planning.

Initially the setup would be a rf r500.1 mono for sub(s) which according to its manual draws 60amp and a infinity kappa 4 for speakers for which i cant find current drawn but it has 2x40a fuses, so does it mean it'll draw 80amp? What amp fuse should be used for the 0 gauge wire in the hood, should it be total current drawn of amp1 + amp2 or a buffer should be kept ?

and regarding a capacitor, i do not know if my current setup would need one and afaik i can add it at any stage later as well !? a general rule of thumb suggests 1 farad for 1000watts, but is this wattage calculated keeping impedance in mind like rms power at 2ohm or 4ohm or there is a another way?

also for power monster vs audison? which is better..quality wise leaving price aside

thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 10:38   #14
BHPian

I dont think you would need a capacitor at this point of time, but yet if you want you can go for it.

Also any branded wiring is good Scoche/Audison/Kicker/Moster, choose the correct size 4 gauge or 0 gauge should suffie. If you are not into much of bragging then choose any good branded wiring, they all are good.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think you would need a capacitor at this point of time, but yet if you want you can go for it.

Also any branded wiring is good Scoche/Audison/Kicker/Moster, choose the correct size 4 gauge or 0 gauge should suffie. If you are not into much of bragging then choose any good branded wiring, they all are good.
No capacitor then and as far as the wiring is concerned i already use monster in my HT setup and have seen the difference..so i do believe in them...

I am getting all monster 0 gauge fused with dist block plus 4 gauge fused for two amps plus ground, plus speaker wire plus rca's plus dynamat extreme for all doors and boot side and boot lid for approx 35k..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks