Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Chennai

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 17:32   #1
BHPian

Computerized OBD Scanning in Chennai!

Here is a compilation of various aftermarket Computerized Engine Scanning Centers (OBD or "On-Board Diagnostics" Scan) operating in Chennai and my experience from one of it.

I have been hunting around for such centers as the engine on my MPFI Zen when left on idle started running very uneven and rough. It also had engine hesitation (choked during driving). After a basic service, my regular mechanic changed the air filter, fuel filter and spark plugs. The problem still existed and he had given up saying only an OBD scanner can pin-point the issue which is down to the malfunction of one of the many sensors -- MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor) , TP sensor (Throttle Position Sensor) , IAT sensor (Intake Air Temperature Sensor) , ECT sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) , Oxygen sensor , VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) , CMP sensor (Camshaft Position Sensor) etc.

1) Car Care Centre
BOSCH Car Service
Arcot Road , Vadapalani
Opp to AVM Studio
Contact -- Anantharaman
PH : 9444909696 , 23768344

Available for cars manufactured from 2003 only , Price Quoted : Rs 850 for Verna

2) Scan A Car
Contact -- Govindarajan
PH : 9841436436
Available for all cars , Price Quoted : Rs 1500 for any car

3) IgNite
East Coast Rd,
Contact -- Raghav
PH : 24531515
Scanner available for certain cars. For other cars they will manually use (Jump or Earth , i am not sure) the service wire from monitor connector near the OBD port and then study the flashing pattern of Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) in the car dash-board to identify the corresponding sensor which is malfunctioning.

4) Chennai Cars Pvt Ltd
No 22, Chamiers Road 2nd Street, Austin Nagar
Landmark : Backside of McRennett Bakery in Chamiers Road near Old Satyam Office (Shreyas Chamiers Tower)

Contact -- Paul Ranganathan
PH : 9840124365 , 9841524365
Available for all cars , Price : Rs 500 for any car

After doing a lot of research I took my car to Chennai Cars Pvt Ltd (# 4 on the above list).

The equipment used was HANA TECH "DCN-SCAN".

After a quick 3 minute scan, it returned Error P0105 (Manifold Absolute Pressure Circuit Malfunction). The technician cleaned the MAP sensor and then reset the error code via the scanner. Since then, the car has been running like a charm! He charged me Rs.500/-

The service technician ("Paul", owner of the engine scan center) was very knowledgeable and he said that he had purchased the scanner around 8 years ago but keeps updating its software (codes) thru their website. Because of this, he is able to scan any car irrespective of the year of manufacturer. He was generous enough to allow me browse thru the exhaustive list of car model selector menu categorized by region (Eg : USA, Asian, Japan etc). I am 99% sure, it had all cars sold in the Indian market.

He added that, the specific scanner model he was using has become end-of-life and the current equivalent model offered by Hanatech is "Ultrascan P1" and details about it can be found on "'www.hanatech.net'".
Attached Thumbnails
Computerized OBD Scanning in Chennai!-hanatech.jpg  

rubicon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 20:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Computerized OBD Scanning (Engine Scanning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

1) Car Care Centre
BOSCH Car Service
Arcot Road , Vadapalani
Opp to AVM Studio
Contact -- Anantharaman
PH : 9444909696 , 23768344

Available for cars manufactured from 2003 only , Price Quoted : Rs 850 for Verna

4) Chennai Cars Pvt Ltd
No 22, Chamiers Road 2nd Street, Austin Nagar
Landmark : Backside of McRennett Bakery in Chamiers Road near Old Satyam Office (Shreyas Chamiers Tower)

Contact -- Paul Ranganathan
PH : 9840124365 , 9841524365
Available for all cars , Price : Rs 500 for any car

After doing a lot of research I took my car to Chennai Cars Pvt Ltd (# 4 on the above list).

The equipment used was HANA TECH "DCN-SCAN".

After a quick 3 minute scan, it returned Error P0105 (Manifold Absolute Pressure Circuit Malfunction). The technician cleaned the MAP sensor and then reset the error code via the scanner. Since then, the car has been running like a charm! He charged me Rs.500/-

He added that, the specific scanner model he was using has become end-of-life and the current equivalent model offered by Hanatech is "Ultrascan P1" and details about it can be found on "'www.hanatech.net'".
Wow. Have been thinking of acquiring this tool.

Do they have it for SWIFT DIESEL at OPTION 1 ?

Is this available at all BOSCH centers across the country ?

Option 4, do they ship it to PUNE ?
EDIT: I will call them up at the numbers listed above.

Last edited by F150 : 7th May 2012 at 20:50.
Old 8th May 2012, 05:27   #3
BHPian

Re: Computerized OBD Scanning (Engine Scanning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Wow. Have been thinking of acquiring this tool.

Do they have it for SWIFT DIESEL at OPTION 1 ?

Is this available at all BOSCH centers across the country ?

Option 4, do they ship it to PUNE ?
EDIT: I will call them up at the numbers listed above.

Hey, none of them actually sell the scanner tool. Those are the guys in Chennai who perform Computerized OBD Scanning and Error Correction for a fee. If you are looking to procure one, here is what I know...
  • Bosch does sell these tools and are listed in their website 'www.boschdiagnostics.com'. But I am not sure what are the car models and year of manufacture that their devices support.
  • From my personal experience quoted in the initial post, HANA TECH's DCN-SCAN works good for most Indian cars.
  • Also from what I have researched on the web, it looks like AUTOSNAP IN805 is another device that is specifically designed for Indian Vehicles. Check it out at 'www.auto-snap.com'
I am not aware of the prices of any these devices and from where they can be purchased.
Old 9th May 2012, 13:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Computerized OBD Scanning in Chennai!

@rubicon, thanks man. This was something I had been looking out for a year or more now, since the EMI has stayed on in the dashboard of my Baleno.
It is such an irritant to have the light stay on. Ignite did not have the OBD scanner for my car and I do not want to go to a MASS.

"Chennai cars" would work perfect for me, since it is on my way to work. Should plan this one of these days.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 9th May 2012 at 13:32.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

If someone does a scan ,diagnoses and rectifies the fault - all for Rs.500,it makes more sense

With the tool in hand,once can only find the fault out . Unless one is a DIY kind , confident of fixing the issue onself, it doesn't make sense to invest in this equipment

Last edited by vigsom : 9th May 2012 at 16:14. Reason: correction
Old 9th May 2012, 16:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

^^^That is precisely what the OP intended to convey via this thread - the cost is not to buy the thread, but to have the diag run and fault listed.
He mentions "OBD Scanning" in the title and "Scanning centres" in the first line of the thread.

Most Viewed