Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have personally used their services and would rate them as:
Recommended 2 22.22%
NOT recommended 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2014, 11:38   #16
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Hi RSR - No !! He does not have a pit or a vehicle lift. He just makes a mechanic lie on the ground and did it. I was okay with it, because of a selfish motive. If he had those lifts, that would mean we would need more money for the job done, as he would have to break-even that lift.
Oh, that's fine! I guess that's the reason why he's able to do quality work at very good rates. As long as the workmanship is good and the parts used are of good quality, I'll be very happy. A customer lounge consisting of a plastic chair suits me just fine!

I'm planning to take the car this Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The best tiffin in south chennai - far cheaper and tastier than fancier alternatives nearby such as Sangeetha.
Yummy! It suits me perfectly, as I prefer to have tiffin dishes even for lunch, instead of a full meal. I'll check this place out, and also the other one (depending on the time). Thank you for the gastronomic recommendations as well!

Last edited by RSR : 25th November 2014 at 11:39.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 20:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

The place also serves quite good (if basic = buttermilk instead of curd) full meals on banana leaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Oh, that's fine! I guess that's the reason why he's able to do quality work at very good rates. As long as the workmanship is good and the parts used are of good quality, I'll be very happy. A customer lounge consisting of a plastic chair suits me just fine!
A pit shouldn't cost much more than paying a laborer the cost of digging it?

He doesn't have all that much space available in his yard for sure. Who knows, with this new found popularity of his garage he might want to move to larger premises?

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th November 2014 at 17:32. Reason: merging posts
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 16:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

As a person who drives on this road (1st main road) daily to & fro the office, do tell me where it the shop. Is it at 8th Cross Street ?

See google maps screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-adyar.jpg  

Old 6th December 2014, 17:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Not that road. The road just before and parallel to it, that passes menangudy hospitals and khivraj motors. This is the lane next to khivraj motors. Scopriobharath gave google maps coordinates in a previous post in this thread
Old 6th December 2014, 19:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Went to Yehaya for fitting the cable to the lever that opens the AC Vent.

again the service is a 10/10. Yehaya was not there but his team attended very well. Job was done in a matter for 5 mins.
Old 7th December 2014, 07:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Shastri Nagar 1st Avenue and a cross street just off it. See the lane next to Khivraj Motors on this map.
Attached Thumbnails
Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-screenshot.jpg  

Old 17th December 2014, 13:49   #22
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks to hserus and scopriobharath for recommending this garage and providing very accurate directions!

I did get my car repaired (welded the silencer & corrected the excessive clutch play) at Speed Motors. Although the chief was not present when I went there, I got first class service from his mechanics, and the price was very, very reasonable. The car is a dream to drive now!

A more detailed post on the work done @ Speed Motors will follow soon. I would give Speed Motors and Mr. Yehaya Salim a full 10/10 overall. I'd definitely take the car to them in the future, despite the distance from my place!

Last edited by RSR : 17th December 2014 at 13:53.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 16:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

I just delivered my father's car (clutch plate ruined thanks to a recently fired driver that liked to ride the clutch a lot) to yehaya.

And my car too came off second best in an encounter with a speeding vehicle from the other side (long scratch from front to rear sob sob) so that's with him as well.

That dude's certainly got his new year vacation fully paid for with all this business Not that I grudge it to him, sending it in to the honda authorized service center would cost me at least twice as much.
Old 19th December 2014, 15:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Attaching Yehaya's card just in case someone wants it.

Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-yehaya.jpg

Last edited by scopriobharath : 19th December 2014 at 15:50.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 16:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Along with the scratch, based on this long rant (url below) on the honda amaze review thread (one or two issues such as seat ergonomics etc which I already face) I asked yehaya to fit better headlights with a ceramic holder, and also a more competent horn (roots windtone). Later I'm going to the guy who fitted my seat covers and he offered to add extra foam inserts under the seat cover to better mold it to my body shape.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3606071
Old 20th December 2014, 20:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Not able to edit the above post as its some hours after I made it. Mods please merge.

Got my amaze back with 130/100W Philips headlight bulbs fitted in ceramic holders, and a minda trumpet double horn. (which too is nice, only the name 'minda' is unfortunately an obscenity in bangalore kannada slang)

The persistent squeaking noise when lowering a window was due to the same old issue of beading coming loose that others are reporting in the amaze review thread. If it recurs I am going to ask Honda to change the beading, or perhaps invest in some better beading from 3M or similar depending on what digging through tbhp archives turns up

Excellent work done in fixing the scratch, and I need to take the car back on Monday or Tuesday for polishing as I need it over the weekend.
Old 2nd February 2015, 16:37   #27
BHPian

Thanks hserus for letting me know of this place.

How is he and his place? A very genuine man. He took the car from me, dropped me to Thiruvanmiyur bus stand - that too in his car, so I am sure, he will not be driving around in my car in my absence (which is the norm with HASS). Guided me throughout turn by turn to reach his place. It is very difficult to get into his shop (the last 50m), but else, it is fine. His place has just an asbestos "shed" which he uses as his "office", "front office/ reception" etc. etc. and I am not at all concerned on this - so this part doesn't bother me much.

Delivery timelines? Last Saturday evening (31/1/15), I gave my car for general service (6 months regular service). Delivery was promised by Sunday (1/2/15) 1PM. I was late and by 1:15PM, I got a call inquiring if I am coming or not. I would say, very prompt on the delivery timelines.

Charges? Now the most important question - moolah? VFM? etc. etc. He charged me Rs.4300/- for the service which includes filter replacement (oil + air), oil change, coolant top up, break oil top-up, break inspection & adjustment and general checkup and greasing. I requested to change the wiper blades and it costed me Rs.700/-, so the total bill amount was a nice round figure of Rs.5000/-. He informed me before hand as I need the car by Sunday, it will not be possible to do water wash (will be Rs.300/- extra), but he assured me he will clean it.

Quality of work/ end result/ condition of car now? Wow!!!, his simple cleaning is so good, there were some stains in my rear seat fabric and it is really clean now and that too this is part of just a "simple cleaning with water and mopping" which is free.
I am not a automotive tech guru. So, from a layman's perspective, post the service, the car is too responsive now - accelerates better to throttle input & brakes bite better than before. I don't know, if I am just feeling so, but I "feel" it is really better.

Issues left over?
1. I had an issue with my clutch - whenever I press it, a creaking sound comes. As per HASS, the clutch assembly needed replacement. Mr. Salim is also of the opinion to change it, however, I have not done it yet. He quoted me Rs.7500/- for part and Rs.1500/- for labour, whereas HASS quoted me Rs.10500/- + taxes. I am not sure if I should be doing it here or if I should get it done at HASS? So I need your expert opinion and guidance on this. I am planning to replace this in my next service which is due by July/ Aug 2015. If I am correct, the gear box needs to be opened to replace clutch assembly and I am confused if a general mechanic with limited tools can do it properly.
2. I had felt the car was always "bumping" (I am not sure about this word, but what I meant is the movement similar to that of the front tip of a boat out in sea - up and down) when I am on an open highway and around 100 km/hr (I seldom go beyond that). This was prominent in my recent trip to Tirupathi. I never told this to him, but post service, he told me the suspension is weak and is time considering replacement. I don't know what the price is (I never asked him). My car has done 38800 km as of today and will complete 6 years by coming April. I again need your expert opinion and guidance on this.
While I know clutch replacement is mandatory to do or else I could be stranded, I assume it is not the case with suspension. Please guide me as well.

Last edited by Jakku : 2nd February 2015 at 16:41. Reason: Further explanation.
Jakku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 17:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

He certainly did a great job of replacing the clutch in my father's alto after a previous driver had ruined it in under a year by riding on the clutch even at traffic signals.

He buys and fits maruti / hyundai etc genuine accessories, so whatever savings you are seeing are on labour, and on the fact that he won't cheat you by performing excess repairs, or replacing parts where not needed.

Suspension is a big job so ask him if he is able to handle it. If he can't he will give you a straightforward no. If he can handle it, then go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
1. I had an issue with my clutch - whenever I press it, a creaking sound comes. As per HASS, the clutch assembly needed replacement. Mr. Salim is also of the opinion to change it, however, I have not done it yet. He quoted me Rs.7500/- for part and Rs.1500/- for labour, whereas HASS quoted me Rs.10500/- + taxes. I am not sure if I should be doing it here or if I should get it done at HASS?

he told me the suspension is weak and is time considering replacement. I
Old 27th February 2015, 19:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
I never told this to him, but post service, he told me the suspension is weak and is time considering replacement. I don't know what the price is (I never asked him). My car has done 38800 km as of today and will complete 6 years by coming April. I again need your expert opinion and guidance on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Suspension is a big job so ask him if he is able to handle it. If he can't he will give you a straightforward no. If he can handle it, then go ahead.
He is able to handle it. Eventhough he does NOT have a ramp / lift, he told they have jacks to lift the vehicle and replace suspension.

I gave my santro for 40,000 kms service to Yehaya today. The following jobs are planned Engine oil / Gear box Oil / Coolant / Air filter / Oil filter replacement with orignal Hyundai parts. He would also supposedly do a water wash and Wheel aligment as a part of 40K service.

I gave it today @ 3:00 pm - delivery tomorrow @ 7:00 pm at home.

Reported some minor issues like rear washer nozzle not working. Fixed immediately. Hyundai HMP A.S.S could / would not fix it. He fixed a "block" in five minutes.
Old 27th February 2015, 19:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Wheel alignment / balancing at least you might get done elsewhere. I don't think he has any computerized gear so it is going to be manual, adding and removing weights by hit / trial / experience.

This one is in the next street over (that leads to adyar ananda bhavan / besant nagar). Michelin dealer.

MAHENDRA TYRE CARE CENTRE. 47/68B, M.G.ROAD,SHASTRI NAGAR,THIRUVANMIYUR,CHENNAI,TAMILNADU. Contact No. : 24523006

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks