http://www.facebook.com/ocdaboutcars

What it provides -

Wash and Wax
Interior cleaning / leather protection
Detailing
Paint protection film
Ceramic Coating

What I like

- Brand new (less than a month old) showroom with well trained staff.

- Quality equipment and consumables - all imported he says, rather than the stuff bought locally which is mostly quite old stock.

- Sonax and 3M car shampoos / leather protection etc sprays.

- Meguiar wax, Sonax and Meguiar branded buffers, sponges, pads.

- 3M paint protection film though he’s trying to source better alternatives from abroad.

- Modesta + ceramic coating with a closed off and air conditioned curing booth. The owner added that he generally prefers to use a single thick layer of ceramic rather than multiple layers apparently because in extreme weather, metal and paint expansion and contraction can split multilayer ceramic coats.

- LED strip lighting so swirl marks, ingrained dirt etc will show up clearly.

- RO water used for washing so no dirt, mineral deposits etc end up on the car.

Last but not least - The owner Niranjan Jayaprakash, who is a petrol-head, not currently on Team-BHP. This shop is brand new, only about a couple of weeks old after first operating a door to door service from an old Eeco for the past couple of years.

I’ve given him my Fiesta for a basic wash and wax after bringing it back absolutely filthy from a Bangalore to Chennai trip and before that, five days in the dustiest parts of Whitefield. Very decent job - steep-ish cost though - 1700 - but you get full value for what you pay for.
Attached Thumbnails
Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-image.jpg  

Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-img_2932.jpg  

Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-img_2931.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 7th August 2017 at 10:46. Reason: Formatting - thanks for sharing!
hserus is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 18:14   #2
BHPian

re: Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai

Yes, I was there for the inauguration and Niranjan briefed me on all that they were doing. Pretty impressive and he has been doing this for a while. He is very passionate about what he has been doing and has taken care that every little thing that could impact the final product has been addressed.

I wish to make a visit for my car to this place sometime.
swissknife is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 19:20   #3
ike
BHPian

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai

I had been to OCD today for detailing and the experience was good. Niranjan is quite approachable and knowledgeable. Was charged 6k for detailing.
Attached Thumbnails
Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-whatsapp-image-20171216-19.17.13.jpeg  

ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 20:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

When I bought my 2014 all new fiesta back in June I’d noticed that the dealer or maybe the previous owner had clumsily repainted several scratches on both bumpers with some shade of cheap paint (probably Indica white paint) that just didn’t match the original factory finish.

Wasn’t worth repainting the car so I waited for the bumpers to accumulate the usual crop of minor scratches from two wheelers, flying small stones on rough roads etc.

Plus, late last week, one unfortunate additional six inch scratch on the fron passenger side fender panel thanks to a “fish cart” (cycle rickshaw pushcart fitted with a tvs 50 engine) that was carrying several plastic pipes - projecting two feet out of the back of the cart.

Gave the car on Saturday to OCD where Niranjan and his pap Ashwath called in a painter and did a great job on it.

The repaint job with cheap paint was very unevenly applied and had sort of soaked in deep so that the entire rear bumper had to be scraped and repainted. They worked through the weekend and then today, and the end result after a spot of detailing is a masterpiece of craftsmanship.

Total cost 16k - steep but worth every paisa, as the photos below show you.
Attached Thumbnails
Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-47a7184e1cd64374af0199946809f075.jpeg  

Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-9388e0dd25a84292a13de7b5f19c22d2.jpeg  

Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-f787e110247e4ec5a604caf3d896c4bc.jpeg  

hserus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 08:33   #5
ike
BHPian

OCD are now offering PPF (paint protection Film). They use a brand called Xpel, Niranjan says it is superior to 3M PPF as this will not become yellow or bubble up. The adhesive is also better and there is also a layer clear coat on the film. It is Pricey though at INR850/Sq Ft. IIRC 3M is ~550/Sq Ft.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 16:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Still there, two years later, which is a good sign!

Called by yesterday to ask the cost for a long-overdue detailing and interior cleaning session for my Polo. He told me Rs.9000. I will give it a try within next two months.

A nod to the name (whilst acknowledging that OCD can actually be a very serious mental-health problem) which is a brilliant pun .

I usually see rather expensive and posh cars there when I drive past. I expressed the concern that this was his market and thus his price range --- and was assured otherwise. He wanted to show me around but we were already late for our concert of the evening.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th June 2019 at 16:36.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 17:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Still there, two years later, which is a good sign!

Called by yesterday to ask the cost for a long-overdue detailing and interior cleaning session for my Polo. He told me Rs.9000. I will give it a try within next two months.

What was your feedback?
Old 3rd September 2019, 19:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
What was your feedback?
Other expenditure got in the way. And some of that is on building work, so, although I have the cash handy right now, I don't want to put a super shine on the car while there is building dust in the air.

So, still on the intentions list.
Old 18th April 2021, 10:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

+ Likes
- Good products stocked
- Great social media presence (which can be deceiving in few cases like mine)

-- Dislikes
- Arrogant attitude towards regular customers, actors (due to the owners movie industry connection) and premium car owners might get better response and respect (defects in install were not gracefully accepted by the manager Venkatesh, owner Niranjan, the 2 installer boys - defects were trapped air bubbles, dust bubbles, trapped fibre strands, wrinkled sunfilm since it was the last bit of the roll)
- Small shop floor
- Passionate(self proclaimed) owner but not so passionate floor workers
- Lapses in SOP and customer service (no job card was done which led to pointing fingers at each other for new found damages in car after sunfilm install, was not attended to on time after I returned immediately just after I left the store noticing defects in sunlight, many straight cut marks on glass were observed after sun film install, etc.)
- Prices quoted are not inclusive of taxes, there is no rate card, prices are quoted randomly, competitors provide the all inclusive landing cost of any service in comparison

With regards to my first experience, where in our Ciaz went in for full interior cleaning costing almost 5k INR, the headliner was not cleaned at all, the A pillar trim had some stains and the under carpet as well had stains. I did get in touch with Niranjan as soon as I saw the car in person as my brother was the one who took the car to OCD based on my recommendation. Car was in hometown then and Niranjan did feel apologetic and offered to fix it when the car visits next. But that ship had already sailed. Whatever they say about first impressions?

Coming to the recent incident, which was for Sunfilm install on my Linea T Jet - on the day of install of the sunfilm before the car was handed over to me, I noticed a very deep scratch on the rear quarter panel glass on RHS, and few more straight cuts on other window glasses and brought it to the notice of the manager, Venkatesh. He coolly says, he noticed it earlier and asked the installers about it and the installer boys said it was already there. How convenient? Dear sir, how about asking the car owner about it as well? Finally, I was reluctantly told they can buff it out a little but I need to have a long “wait”. Said thats fine cannot come again for this, and asked them to do it. While they buffed out 80% of the scratch, they also didn’t mask the chrome trim properly which led to it and some part of the panel paint to be scratched and cut heavily.

To make things clear, yes not all defects were found on day 1 itself as the film had to dry out in the sun for couple days for the defects to fully show out.

The attitude of the manager and owner were not withstanding, this was after the defects in all windows were observed. Initially only the passenger side window was observed just after I left the store post install and the wrinkles in film were told to me as squeegee marks and that they will dry out in 2 days. Such marks were present in all windows, could easily spot the one in the passenger window as it was bright sunlight as I just left the store post install, I was looking at the ORVM while driving and the defect was in the line of sight. The next day, I got a time of two hours in a parking lot as I was waiting for someone in broad daylight and I noticed similar defects in all the windows. Called Niranjan immediately and told him I will have him inspect the car as he shouldn’t feel I am making this up and to have a fair evaluation ground. So when I reached the store it was dusk already and the lighting conditions were not ideal to spot the defects hence Niranjan suggested me to come back next day to which I agreed. Also he threw a curveball of “warranty” saying since this is a film defect, he will click pictures and videos and send to his supplier along with my car’s VIN(lol) and then they will approve warranty and send replacement material. Earlier when we assumed that just one window has faulty install, we agreed to leave the defect as is and since I liked the film told Niranjan I would prefer to have the 3m budget film removed from my other car and have this film installed; that we could adjust the amount for this bad install then, which he was totally cool with.

Niranjan also mentioned to me that he “personally” checked his CCTV footage and that his best in class installers who did a “zero” defect install (sarcasm of course) never cut film on my car’s glasses. I told him that if we are reviewing CCTV footage, both parties should be present at the review, otherwise it isn’t a fair playground! I also had a close up picture of the rear right quarter glass from couple days ago (which had a very deep scratch after OCD kept their hands on) and shared the same, the glass was spotless with no scratch at all. This was clicked by me after washing my car, like I usually do.

So the time mentioned for clicking pictures for “warranty” was 2 pm. Thankfully didn’t drive all the way to the other end of town trusting the words and gave Niranjan a call. I was casually told that he is on the way to a popular personality’s house to pick up his vehicles and that he is not sure when he will be available at the store. At this point, I was getting restless as the lackadaisical attitude towards the issue was not withstanding. I requested him to resolve this ASAP, and if he can give a definitive time for tomorrow’s visit as I am a non resident chennai person and have tight timelines to my stay here. Then he repeats the same time and then throws in a clause saying warranty will be applicable only if the inside glass has no scratches after removal of film. This annoyed me even more and I asked him to save me the headache of constant back and forth, so either arrive at a middle ground by providing a partial refund for the defective wrinkled film and defective install (dust, air bubbles) or strip off all the film and refund the full money. I got an arrogant response which said to have the film removed and take the money. I requested once more as it is a lose-lose situation, I have lost my time, effort, money spent on fuel, and a lost opportunity to drive out of chennai with sunfilms installed, and he would also lose the film material. He again arrogantly said thats not possible and was asking as to why I was “pitching” to him. To Niranjan- “Dear sir, it is called pitching when I am trying to sell you something, like what you do most part of your day. I was just trying to save all of us a headache and arrive at a middle ground.”
I was even sarcastically been asked by Niranjan if am expecting reimbursement for fuel.

After multiple follow ups, he sent his guys over to peel off the film and refund the money. FYI, there were zero scratches on the inside of the glass after film removal. Now, am at peace as my OCD is satisfied. (Pun intended)

Car would be going to 3M to get CR70 done, which incidentally costs the same as what OCD charged me if we take GST into the picture. The film OCD used was not a very popular brand, called Super Cool, which has no specs mentioned anywhere on their website/product box. Even OCD was throwing random numbers when I asked about VLT, TSR, UV/IR rejection. One other thing noticed was the film was too obvious when compared to 3M CR70 series, by being a tad too green.

Even during the uninstall of the film, the “best-in-class” installer guy had kept his open pocket knife with pointed edge resting on the leather part if the armrest, poking it. I had to point and tell him to take it away or close the damn knife and keep it in the same place.

Thanks to OCd for dampening my enthusiasm for waking up early, driving all the way from other end of town, and show up even before your store opened on the appointed time, on the dot. All I wanted was a fuss free experience and a good product, sad that you couldn’t provide that. Sure, your premium elite customers who send over all posh cars with drivers might not even notice the defects I noticed, and both parties would live happily ever after, but I have a bit of OCD myself, for any service carried out on my car to be perfect. This review will serve as a warning to many future potential customers who have expectations like me.

Did you provide a defect free material - No (wrinkled film)

Did you provide a defect free install - No (dust bubbles, air bubbles, improperly cut film for the rear right window)

Could you have amicably fixed this without keeping me in the dark and providing vague responses each time I got back to you regarding the issue? - Heck, YES!

Did you? - NOPE

Were you even considerate of the fact that am a non-chennai resident, and coming back to you for a second chance, and even that blew up due to defective film and defective installation? - NOPE

Attaching some proof of the shoddy install. Please note that these are just few of the defects that could be captured by camera, it is very tough to get the focus going on a transparent glass.

Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-bb4ddc4efca44902b166a7d74fb0f669.jpeg

Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-e5d1e11201d0429a817498f8b93f0546.jpeg

Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-2a1e48c24d2647a5bc97fccf0c9317f7.jpeg

Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-fe3ee624633541af812864c0a41b7caf.jpeg

Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-43ead35d69d14498a0e71c4324e18be7.jpeg

Obsessive Compulsive Detailing (OCD) - Adyar, Chennai-370517fd19574e05a20bc714826b5191.jpeg
DRIV3R is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 20:10   #10
BHPian

Went to OCD today for a quick wash and interior clean up for my brio. Niranjan greeted me and immediately asked his team to get on with the job.

1. Pressure wash check
2. Foam check
3. Deep wash with pressurized water check
4. Microfiber dab drying check
5. Air drying check
6 interior vaccum check
7. Floor mat removal and cleaning check
8. Product application for dashboard, tyres and glasses (meguair) check.

Overall time spent close to 1 hr, work done was thorough. One of the good shops nearby for me.

Could not take many pics as I was ogling at some GLC 63 amg standing there

Last edited by prasanna.vps : 27th January 2022 at 20:10. Reason: Typo
prasanna.vps is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 03:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
Went to OCD today ...
Please tell the cost of the work!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 13:45   #12
BHPian

800 bucks pretty reasonable
prasanna.vps is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 19:56   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
800 bucks pretty reasonable
Thank you. Sounds like a really super deal!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks