Team-BHP - Superb place to learn to drive - Institute of Road Transport (IRT), Chennai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Chennai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chennai/)
-   -   Superb place to learn to drive - Institute of Road Transport (IRT), Chennai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chennai/206357-superb-place-learn-drive-institute-road-transport-irt-chennai.html)

Have you ever wondered how best to teach someone to drive? Or are you wondering how to learn to drive yourself in this mad world of impatient motorists?

There are no more open grounds left in cities like Chennai, with real estate projects springing up everywhere. Just where does a newbie learn to drive? It takes guts meanwhile to learn to control a vehicle with rude motorists intimidating you in real world conditions.

In Chennai, I've used the IRT campus' training roads to good effect in the past, around the year 2012. My brother in law and dad learned to control the car in simulated conditions, without all that traffic to scare them.

The track consists of tarmac which looks like normal roads, with a mix of 2 or more lanes, curved roads, hard turns etc. Road markings are present all along. I faintly remember a corner to practise parallel parking and normal parking. They've even thrown in a mini bridge of sorts for learners to practise taking off from a stop on an incline.

It's been a few years now, and I'm off to the IRT campus again sometime soon to teach my wife to drive. It costs Rs.300 for 3 hours; you can pay by cash at their office on a weekday and then use it whenever convenient on the weekend. From my past experience, the watchman at the gate doesn't harass you and you have show the payment receipt to be allowed in.

Just thought of sharing this tidbit of information for our forum members to know of.

You can catch a glimpse of this driving range in an older thread on the forum: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post2556183

I'll share pictures of the driving range when I do go there to teach my wife to drive.

Contact Information

Institute of Road Transport
100 Feet Road,
Taramani,
Chennai 600 113

irt_taramani@yahoo.com
irttaramani@gmail.com

044 – 22541723
044 – 22541441
044 – 22542679

Thanks for sharing! Contact information added & thread moved to the Team-BHP Directory since this place is clearly recommended by you :thumbs up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4540243)
...I'm off to the IRT campus again sometime soon to teach my wife to drive.

Do they have trainers / instructors there, or are you expected to impart lessons on your own?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 4540838)
Do they have trainers / instructors there, or are you expected to impart lessons on your own?

The IRT does have trainers and vehicles to train people. But, with it being a government institution, their main focus is on training aspiring commercial drivers. Many cab, bus and truck drivers receive free training over here.

We are however allowed to bring our own trainers, vehicles etc. They're pretty open to "private" parties using their campus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4540840)
The IRT does have trainers and vehicles to train people.

Can one employ these trainers' services on request against a fee?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 4540845)
Can one employ these trainers' services on request against a fee?

I'd need to ask them about that. The trainers should be available for a price though. I'll update this thread with an answer once I speak to them.

Bumping this thread: is the IRT still available for use? Has anyone utilized this facility recently! Seems to be the only place in chennai when one can drive and gain confidence of the car without all the madness on the road!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevciti (Post 4600377)
Bumping this thread: is the IRT still available for use? Has anyone utilized this facility recently! Seems to be the only place in chennai when one can drive and gain confidence of the car without all the madness on the road!

Hey there, apologies to you and everyone else - the IRT is still very much available to use. It's just that I mean to utilize it to get my wife trained with a manual transmission car now that she has mastered driving an automatic, but the summer is too harsh to try driving on their open tarmac in a car which will likely stall often (so no AC).

I very much want to book the facility and write a report with pics here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4600388)
Hey there, apologies to you and everyone else - the IRT is still very much available to use. It's just that I mean to utilize it to get my wife trained with a manual transmission car now that she has mastered driving an automatic, but the summer is too harsh to try driving on their open tarmac in a car which will likely stall often (so no AC).

I very much want to book the facility and write a report with pics here.

Wow ! This comes as a blessing for me and my wife. We have been scouting for a proper open ground/ place for my wife to regain her driving skills. This place looks great, I will have a look at it tomorrow and update. Meanwhile if there is any useful information that you can share, please let me know !

Thanks !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r (Post 4639524)
Wow ! This comes as a blessing for me and my wife. We have been scouting for a proper open ground/ place for my wife to regain her driving skills. This place looks great, I will have a look at it tomorrow and update. Meanwhile if there is any useful information that you can share, please let me know !

Thanks !

I think you should've visited it today and booked it for a few hours in the weekend. As far as i know, there'll be a watchman on duty in the weekend. It'll be his discretion to allow you in. On the other hand, if you had already booked it, he'll happily oblige and let you in. It's still worth a try tomorrow for a look-see. But since the office will be closed, you can't make a booking tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4639574)
I think you should've visited it today and booked it for a few hours in the weekend. As far as i know, there'll be a watchman on duty in the weekend. It'll be his discretion to allow you in. On the other hand, if you had already booked it, he'll happily oblige and let you in. It's still worth a try tomorrow for a look-see. But since the office will be closed, you can't make a booking tomorrow.

Oops, anyways I'll give it a shot tomorrow and then try next week.

Thanks a ton for the detailed info !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r (Post 4639594)
Oops, anyways I'll give it a shot tomorrow and then try next week.

Hi, were you able to try out the driving range? Do share any updates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4649350)
Hi, were you able to try out the driving range? Do share any updates.

Hey ! Haven't got a chance yet, was busy roaming down south every weekend ( Velankanni church one weekend, Rameswaram another weekend )

Planning next week, will keep you posted ☺️

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4540243)
In Chennai, I've used the IRT campus' training roads to good effect in the past, around the year 2012. My brother in law and dad learned to control the car in simulated conditions, without all that traffic to scare them.

Buddy, I can't thank you enough for this information !

My wife got to drive for an hour last saturday and it was boon to gain confidence and try your skills on various possible road conditions

Initially the security asked to come on Monday and make an booking for the next saturday. I gave the please help me out here look and he called someone and agreed to let us use the ground. had to payINR 200 for 1 hour 15 mins and left satisfied

I will recommend this place to anyone who wants to learn driving for their initial sessions as it has enough space, no traffic, good road condition simulations

Attaching few Pictures

2 Lane road

Superb place to learn to drive - Institute of Road Transport (IRT), Chennai-img20191022wa0004.jpg

Inclined plane = Excellent to learn Clutch/ Brake control

Superb place to learn to drive - Institute of Road Transport (IRT), Chennai-img20191022wa0005.jpg

8- Circuit

Superb place to learn to drive - Institute of Road Transport (IRT), Chennai-img20191022wa0008.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r (Post 4678844)
Buddy, I can't thank you enough for this information !
My wife got to drive for an hour last saturday and it was boon to gain confidence and try your skills on various possible road conditions
I will recommend this place to anyone who wants to learn driving for their initial sessions as it has enough space, no traffic, good road condition simulations
2 Lane road
Inclined plane = Excellent to learn Clutch/ Brake control

8- Circuit

:thumbs up I'm glad I could help in some way, shape or form!

I'm myself yet to head there to teach my wife to drive with a stick shift; it's like something or the other always crops up! :Frustrati

End of the year is the best time to do it since it'd be horrible when hot, out in the open...speaking of which, I'm surprised to see all that greenery in your pics. 7 years ago, they had it properly trimmed down to below knee-height.