Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Chennai
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2010, 21:24   #196
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys help me out on this -

I usually fill up for Rs700 or greater. I ensure that the attendant starts from zero and removes the gun once the required amount is filled in. But, at times, I notice a peculiar thingy: the attendant keeps depressing the trigger while the fuel gets dispensed, and he becomes a kind of cautious during the end of the fill.

By keeping the trigger depressed, is he trying to limit the fuel that is dispensed?
Can somebody elobrate the mechanism here?

Thanks guys.
No the attendant cannot restrict the flow of fuel by depressing the liever.he can only slow the process.

BTW always ask the attendant to fill the fuel in manual mode rather that keeping it in auto mode,and slow flow of fuel ensures the max amount of fuel is dispensed into your cars tank.

Also try filling fuel in early morning or night when the weather is cool
Old 17th September 2010, 20:24   #197
BHPian

IOC, LB Road, Adyar is well on it's way on becoming the worst petrol pump in the country.

Here is incident #3 :

I missed my college bus, and had to take the bike to college. As luck would have it, I was low on petrol (probably left with about 3-4 litres in the tank). Even though the bike hadn't reached into the reserve tank, I make it a point to fill up whenever the fuel level comes down to 3 bars.

I felt lazy to go all the way to the HP pump near Sathya studios, and decided to give IOC a chance again.

Went to the pump, and there was a guy who called me from the far right of the pump. That particular pump was empty. I was about to go there when another guy on my left called me. There was a line at the pump on my left. I joined the line (a mistake). There was a guy on my right who was asking everyone how much petrol they wanted to fill

"How much petrol sir?"
"200 Rs"
The attendant who was filling petrol followed suit
"How much sir?"
"200Rs". Repeated the same in Tamil.
"Please check the zero sir"
I was surprised. These guys were changing after all, or were they?
Now came the surprise.
"Petrol off pannunga sir" (Switch off the petrol sir)
I was surprised. What did the petrol flow switch on the bike have to do with this? The other guy on my right joined him and asked me to do the same. I lowered my head for a split second to touch the petrol knob, voila! The magical pump had dispensed petrol worth Rs 50/- (0.89 Litres).

"You asked for Rs 50 only no sar?"
"Yes"
"You asked for 50 only right?"
"Yes"
I handed over a 50 Rs note and started my bike.

"Please come here sir, I'll fill petrol"

I had had it. Early in the morning, and these guys start my day this way. I was in no mood to fight.

"Not needed. I don't need your petrol."
"Sir, I haven't filled petrol for you sir, please come sir"
The guy starts requesting me to come back. I go back, and get petrol filled for Rs 50/-.

On my way back from college, I filled petrol at the Shell bunk on OMR. It was a truly pleasant experience. Printed bills, friendly attendants, and you get your petrol only if you put your vehicle on the main stand. That is service.

I request everyone to be wary of the IOC bunk on LB road. Go there if and only if you are reasonably belligerent in nature.
Old 17th September 2010, 20:43   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
Shell bunk on OMR.
Can you please provide the exact location ?
I'm keen to try shell
Old 17th September 2010, 21:30   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
I'm keen to try shell

I think he is mentioning about the Shell bunk after Sathyabama university (Towards Mahabs).
Old 17th September 2010, 21:34   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm keen to try shell
I guess its at Semmancheri.
Source - Shell Station Locator - India
Old 17th September 2010, 22:01   #201
BHPian

Yzfrj, it is about 500 meters from Sathyabama university.
Old 18th September 2010, 11:30   #202
BHPian

Quote:
IOC, LB Road, Adyar is well on it's way on becoming the worst petrol pump in the country.
Truly sad. Take a Placard with with words "Rs.200 only" on it and get them to sign on it before filling.

No wonder Auto companies ignore customer complaints regarding low mileage. They assume that the fuel Q&Q is bad.
Old 21st September 2010, 12:59   #203
BHPian

Well for the last few times I have been running a test on the BP outlets that I normally fill from. The ones that I tried were the following:
1) At Adyar next to Fortis Malar hospital
2) On OMR before Lifeline when coming from SRP tools
3) On OMR just after CTS Thoraipakkam campus near the bridge
4) On OMR after Accenture

The method used for measuring mileage was the full tank to full tank. Of these 4 pumps, 1 & 3 provide more or less the same mileage - maybe around .0x km/l off. But surprisngly the other two are almost 1 km less than these. So now I have two less pumps that I will fill from.
Will try the Shell pump at OMR and update.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:12   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Yzfrj, it is about 500 meters from Sathyabama university.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I guess its at Semmancheri.
Source - Shell Station Locator - India
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
I think he is mentioning about the Shell bunk after Sathyabama university (Towards Mahabs).
Thank you Hari, Ganesh, FantasticOnWheels

I went there couple of days back. Got a "Vanakkam" free
Nice polite chaps, asked if I wanted to try any other shell products.
Tank was a tad above half way, filled it up took 15.94Ltrs the chap asked me and rounded off to make it Rs.1000 (Rs. 61.95/Ltr - The Premium offering shell has)

171Kms = 10.74Km/Ltr

The only thing I did't like is the sloppy air filling method. He did't wait for the "beep". I was amazed to find my tyre pressures were high.

Did't feel much difference from the Speed I normally fill. To be fair Shell is not even half tank. Let the car run dry I'll try shell again and see if there is any difference.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:37   #205
BHPian

Quote:
The only thing I did't like is the sloppy air filling method. He did't wait for the "beep". I was amazed to find my tyre pressures were high.

Did't feel much difference from the Speed I normally fill. To be fair Shell is not even half tank. Let the car run dry I'll try shell again and see if there is any difference.
Thats strange Shell guys wait for the beep before removing the air hose. Shell petrol bunk air pumps are properly calibrated at regular intervals. So I blindly trust them to check air pressure in my vehicles. I found that the other bunks are always calibrated 2-3PSI more thatw hat you see in Shell. Does anyone see a pattern per your experience with shell??

Riju, I would rather recommend shell normal than premium. Its economical and its pure compared to some of the so called COCO bunks premium petrol. When my vehicle is running on shell I feel that my engine sound is refined (may be I am imagining it).
Old 21st September 2010, 20:45   #206
BHPian

Guys,
I have been filling up my tank full for the last 2 times at BP - Kris Enterprise, ECR, Neelangarai (on the left from Mahabs to Chennai). Seems OK.... your reviews/suggestions please, so that i can continue there.

I have been filling at the BP (on OMR just after CTS Thoraipakkam campus near the bridge). No difference in the above 2.

Another Doubt: I have always been filling at BP, can i switch to Shell. Is switching between BP and Shell. As Shell is not available at my home town.

Last edited by classicselva : 21st September 2010 at 20:48.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:48   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Riju, I would rather recommend shell normal than premium. Its economical and its pure compared to some of the so called COCO bunks premium petrol.
100% true!!! My Rx is so much used to the adulteration that it doesn't like the Shell anymore & the engine becomes harsh, while the Activa becomes silky smooth.

Quote:
When my vehicle is running on shell I feel that my engine sound is refined (may be I am imagining it).
No imagination here sir; its really true. I would say, shell ordinary is equivalent to BPCL's speed petrol.

Riju, on the other hand, if you're really frustrated, just make a visit to Shell & the experience will change your mind. I'm talking this completely out my own experience
Old 21st September 2010, 21:22   #208
BHPian

Quote:
I would rather recommend shell normal than premium.
Quote:
100% true!!! My Rx is so much used to the adulteration that it doesn't like the Shell anymore & the engine becomes harsh, while the Activa becomes silky smooth.
G and H,

Are you saying Shell normal is better and almost Rs.2 more for the "premium shell" is not worth it ?

Yeah I got to get my Rx filled with Shell. I'm sure he will love it.

Quote:
Riju, on the other hand, if you're really frustrated, just make a visit to Shell & the experience will change your mind. I'm talking this completely out my own experience
This time as I said its not even half a tank.
G, I'm planning to fill up @ shell next time around. Lets see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
can i switch to Shell. Is switching between BP and Shell.
IMO there is no problem. One is supposedly of better quality and quantity than the other.
Old 21st September 2010, 21:31   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying Shell normal is better and almost Rs.2 more for the "premium shell" is not worth it ?
Nothing like that; few of my friends are of the opinion that Shell premium gives them more mileage for the same kind of driving; however I haven't experienced nor have used shell premium. I'm just good with Shell+Activa+WagonR.

Quote:
This time as I said its not even half a tank.
G, I'm planning to fill up @ shell next time around. Lets see.
Well I fill up only at Porur or Padi Shell pumps. I rarely visit others. However, my experience with all the Shells (once Avadi) also has been the same. Just like you visit a McD at any place in US, the look & feel & the service & menu is all the same everywhere.

Quote:
IMO there is no problem. One is supposedly of better quality and quantity than the other.
+1
Old 21st September 2010, 23:06   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am saying this with experience. I have tried with Elantra,Zen,Pulsar and Activa. Both normal and premium petrol give almost the same mileage. I am not sure on the cleaner combustion part though. The engine seems to be smooth with Shell normal and provides a tad better mileage than the normal/premium petrol from PSU bunks.

Quote:
Well I fill up only at Porur or Padi Shell pumps. I rarely visit others. However, my experience with all the Shells (once Avadi) also has been the same. Just like you visit a McD at any place in US, the look & feel & the service & menu is all the same everywhere.
+1 to that. Yes shell bunks are having the same service levels (SLA's) across their outlets. I am amazed at the number of commercial vehicles (water tankers, tata Ac's, 407, Eichers) that pile up to fill their tanks from Shell diesel.

Last edited by ElantraGT : 21st September 2010 at 23:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks