Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Chennai

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 13:38   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best Fuel Stations / Petrol Pumps In Chennai

Be careful in the bunk near ABT (Alexander square opposite). These guys try to cheat by filling in instalments. They tried cheating me by filling for 200 rupees first and then again for 200 claiming they have filled for 500. I just watched him all the way and made him fill the rest (100) before I gave him the money.

I find the BP pump near trident to be most reliable. Opinions may vary
Old 10th January 2011, 22:32   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
IMO, Shell diesel is not worth it. But there may be different viewpoints on this forum!

I realised after 20 years of motoring that using normal diesel works best!!

+100. I do not see any justification or improvement. It matters a lot to folks that do about 100 odd+ Kms a day. And from anyone here, its just not the cost, it has to be better ( I might be a farmer driving around in a tractor, but still it has to be better!). I am with headers on the normal diesel and the different viewpoints here.
Old 11th January 2011, 06:55   #228
Senior - BHPian

^^ It is a matter of trust. Just like buying provisions from Spencers. I know I am getting what I am supposed to get, how much I am supposed to get, without adulteration. Nothing more, nothing less. So I don't mind the premium I pay over the price charged at the Kirana shop!

If one finds a good PSU pump, it is perfectly OK to fill fuel there. The fuel won't be any different than what is filled at Shell. But they are an exception rather than the rule.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:17   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubeen View Post
The company owned HP pump on mount road just before the model school road turning has shut down. Have been told an office building is coming up at the location.

That bunk was probably amongst the most reliable in chennai & close to home too. Guess I'm going to have to drive down to the bunk after dominoes on cathedral road for reliable fuel.
It was the best pump in Chennai, I have been filling fuel there since the time I was licensed to ride/drive. My grandfather had been filling there since the early 1960s, Its sad that HP lost the Court case to Khivraj motors who refused to renew the lease agreement. And the case had been in the Court for quiet sometime and finally settled in favour of Khivraj.
Now I have shifted to the Woodlands pump opposite New Woodlands on Radhakrishnan Salai, next to Nilgiris Super market. The attendants are very good, courteous and helpful. You also get nitrogen out there alongwith a nice windshield wipe if requested. The only negative point is that they dont accept American Express cards for payment, all other Visa and Mastercard cards are accepted. The quantity seems ok, and I have been getting the same mileage (which is the first to get hit in case of spurious/ adulterated/ questionable quantity) which I was getting in my earlier pump.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:57   #230
Senior - BHPian

Well what about the Bunk next to the Ashok Leyland Corporate Head office near Small Mount? It is a company owned outlet BPCL-Guindy. They have nitrox filling and normal air filling too. I wanted to check out on them, since my SC guys told me that Shell is not required and its better I use normal petrol and not even speed for my GS150R. Earlier I used to fill Shell super premium and felt that engine was ultra smooth and pick up and performance was linear. Right with BPCL, untill now I have run about 70 odd kms no definitive change in behaviour but the pick up is quite low. could probably be because that I am on Eco mood with bike on power mode

Earlier I used to give the RTR's and Pulsars a run for their money in the signal to signal drag(ya mout road special that we see everyday) but in the last couple of days I find myself driving very sanely and by the time I reach 40 or 50 the other bikers even the Jive'rs manage it to the next signal. Probably my nerves have settled down since its 8months of ownership of this beautiful beast.
Old 8th February 2011, 23:45   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ It is a matter of trust. Just like buying provisions from Spencers. I know I am getting what I am supposed to get, how much I am supposed to get, without adulteration. Nothing more, nothing less. So I don't mind the premium I pay over the price charged at the Kirana shop!

If one finds a good PSU pump, it is perfectly OK to fill fuel there. The fuel won't be any different than what is filled at Shell. But they are an exception rather than the rule.

I do get your point sir, But I am someone who found impurities on spencers ( sugar actually). And yes, there are things i buy at the local market eg fresh veggies, I get the packed stuff at a kirana that delivers home on a daily basis, and ofcourse the nilgiris spencers etc.

I thought the whole issue was about diesel. But forget all that. If you are comfortable with shell fair enough. I may not be comfortable with shell or a few other dispensers. On the ECR ( city limits!) I do know how what and how each fuel station work. The local mechanics know whats clean.

Spencers is not Shell. And sometimes Kiranas can be better than Spencers!

I can list a few good Kiraanas in an around chennai that offer you GOOD price and quality. ( Been a supplier to most of the spencers/Nilgiris etc etc )
Old 9th February 2011, 16:31   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The best in chennai for decades has been the HP pump a few blocks from the safire cinema. Q & Q is the best here. There are others too.
Unfortunately they have closed shop since the court has settled the verdict of a long drawn legal tangle in favor of the Chordia family (hope the spelling is right, if not , my apologies) recently.
Am sure that many of us, especially Chennaites, will miss out the Q & Q of this bunk.
Old 7th March 2011, 15:49   #233
BHPian

Over the years, we have been filling at the following places south of Guindy and my observations.

a) Krishnaraj (HP bunk at airport for close to 25 odd years. Off late they have started cheating with the fill for 100 and reset trick. Complained to their manager who did not want to listen to the problem and asked me to contact someone else. Though the quality is still good, avoid it these days.

b) The BP bunk near airport (Abdul Khadar and sons). Was a very good bunk for years but recently there was news in Times/Express about the person who used to run IOC Pacific bunk in Chromepet being caught in a fuel adulteration racket and this BP bunk was included in the list of bunks being part of his ownership chain.

c) the HP COCO bunk at Kilakattalai (intersection of 100 feet road and Medavakkam Coot road) for both my Fazer and Manza. However last time, the guy tried the fill for 100 trick when I asked him to fill the tank. Gave him a mouthful and drove off. Same thing happened to my friend last week.

d) The new HP bunk at Egattur toll gate: So far so good with both the Q & Q for petrol but did not like the sound of my Manza when filled with Diesel from there. Would recommend avoiding it for Diesel

e) Shoba agency (the HP bunk) 200m after Pallavaram bus stand towards Tambaram. Quality is good but quantity is ok.

f) Radha Agency (Kadaperi bunk): Used to be good but not sure whether it is still good.

g) Lorry owners association in Pallavaram: Used to be good one that turned bad before it was taken over by KPN. Has anyone tried this bunk after KPN took over?

h) A B agency in Sholinganallur (Owned by Parveen): Have mixed feedback. Got good mileage on diesel and not much on petrol when compared to other bunks. Quality seems ok. All the company buses operated by Parveen fill here.

i) The BP COCO bunk near AL office in Guindy is pretty good

j) The Mahalakshmi Agencies (Rajendra Prasad Road in Chromepet). Always got good mileage but the engine sounds different when compared to the petrol from COCO bunks.

Beekayars in VenkatNarayana Road is perhaps one of the best bunks in Chennai. Filled up my Manza yesterday and found a dramatic improvement in engine sound. The clatter that I found when working up the engine has almost vanished. Is there a difference in quality between BP and HP diesel considering that they source their diesel/petrol from CPCL?
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:28   #234
BHPian

Any inputs on the HP bunk opp MIOT ( the bill was for 1278 but my credit card statement showed 1310)
rgds
DP
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:33   #235
BHPian

Re: Dont GOTO BP @ Saidapet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
IMPORTANT GUYS

I had been to yercaud last weekend (aug 6-8th) and while returning i filled up my tank in saidapet BP pump which is next to Ashok Leyland's new office and diagonally opposite to Chekkers Hotel.

on TUESDAY i got a call from SBI stating that my credit card details has been copied to duplicate it and they confirmed if i had paid Rs 13xx to MADRAS LORRY OWNER ASSOCIATION ( the name of the pump).

Now my card is blocked and am getting a brand new card with new number

I was just shocked to hear that and keep you all informed about it.

BEWARE PEOPLE !!!
The best option is to pay by cash since you can never trust these guys with the Credit card. Sometimes (only in rare/emergency) i do fill up at this place once I paid by card but then my citibank called me back to check on the transaction ( I never leave my card unattended)

rgds
DP
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:58   #236
BHPian

I vouch for the company owned petrol bunk in Shanti colony, Annanagar before SMF hospital. The guys there insist us to look at the meter for Zero and then only start filling. And nowadays, there is long queue in this filling station.

Previously I also used to use my debit card in all petrol stations, but after looking at my statement, shocked to see, 15-25 rupees deducted for me using it in the petrol pumps.

Also there was a case of CC swindling in the above station. Then on, I pay only cash.

Once, I filled petrol in the bunk opp. to Anna Arivalayam. On my way back, my bike gave some problem, like the engine chokes a lot. This got worse and when gave the bike for service, the guys told, that my petrol tank was filled with water. They had even drained the tank and shown the can in which, 20% petrol and 70% water was there.

Never go to that bunk again.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:12   #237
Senior - BHPian

Ekayars, Venkatanarayana Road, T.Nagar - Have been filling here for almost 25 years. They just had 2 dispensers (1 for diesel, 1 for petrol) back then. Never had any problems with unclean fuel or credit card problems. Only disadvantage is the cramped space they have so many outlets in. I live 5 mins from it, so go there past 10 and its usually free by then. BTW did you guys know its a 24-hour pump (I was told by one of the attendants there) ?

Heard the HP on Thanikachalam Road-Thyagaraya Road intersection is good from a friend. No personal experiences though. This one's been there quite a while too.

Shell, Ekkaduthangal, Porur and Chrompet - Never had problems with any of these. I guess only the Porur outlet has water wash facilities, heard from a colleague they do a good job.

Filled bike once at the BP near ABT. Didnt have a bad experience. Paid by cash though.

Known or unknown bunk, I open the fuel lid only after i get down from the car and stand nearby and watch from zero reset to tank full.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:37   #238
BHPian

Reliance petrol pumps south of chennai

Any body has the list of locations where there are reliance petrol pumps on NH45 from Tambaram towards Tiruchi, I am planning for a long drive tomorrow and planning to fuel at Reliance (I think the Q and Q are good here) .I am not sure If I have posted my query at the right place.
Old 6th May 2011, 22:45   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
IOC, LB Road, Adyar is well on it's way on becoming the worst petrol pump in the country. ......

I request everyone to be wary of the IOC bunk on LB road. Go there if and only if you are reasonably belligerent in nature.

Since I was nearing 1/4 tank and I had to wait around the bunk, I thought of using the time more productively and went in for fuel. once i pulled up near the extra mile dispenser i was waved to the next dispenser, parked in between, got out of the car and asked if they do not have extramile, then they say yes they have and they did not wave me to the next dispenser, I back up park, get out of the car stand near the dispenser. There are two clowns, one with a shaved head, better built, that operates the dispenser and holds the hose, the other is wearing orange jacket with reflective stickers and an orange cap, thin and short.

Since this is not a regular ( add to that We have read a lot about this pump) I ask for a Rs 500/- (Its usually a tankful). Once the guy says "Sir zero paarunga" I am glued to that, usual habit nothing new, and then i realize i see this little orange orangutan dancing around with his tricks and the best english he knows, hes explaining about why some people do not want extra mile why some want it and how much each of them sell then he moves on to where are you from and gets to do you want a bill. By which time he realizes I have not moved my eyes from the counter, the baldie is giving the orangutan a stare, the orangutan says, why are you looking at me, I cant do anything more than this, then adds " saar paavam ooturu"

for some reason they thought I don't understand tamil .

Will get pics of those circus pair soon!

I do suspect their trick is filling less fuel than thats been paid for. What really is the use of automated dispensers then? In those days we have seen all the ticks done by the attendants to save a few. A college mate used to work part time at a pump and we all know the kind of money that was there that was being shared among the pump attendants and the other workers! But, if it happens with the automated dispenser, I do feel the dealer is very much involved in this. So who owns that pump?

Last edited by YaeJay : 6th May 2011 at 22:57. Reason: the dealer angle!
Old 7th May 2011, 17:34   #240
BHPian

Re: Reliance petrol pumps south of chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravinrd View Post
Any body has the list of locations where there are reliance petrol pumps on NH45 from Tambaram towards Tiruchi, I am planning for a long drive tomorrow and planning to fuel at Reliance (I think the Q and Q are good here) .I am not sure If I have posted my query at the right place.

There is one in Singaperumal koil while going towards Tiruchi. Filled there once for my trip and satisfied. They use a wireless credit card device that does not work most of the times. There is a COCO BP bunk before that which is equally good.

Most Viewed