Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Team-BHP Directory > Chennai

Old 17th December 2019, 17:39   #511
BHPian

Default Re: Best Fuel Stations / Petrol Pumps In Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
But strangely my SCROSS 1.6 reacts the opposite way. When tanked up with HP or BP diesel the instantaneous FE on the MID does not cross 20. With Diesel from IOC Bunk the MID crosses 22~23 at decent highway speeds (100~110kmph). With Shell Diesel the car becomes a bit difficult to control in the city with acceleration surge and subsequent heavy braking.

For Petrol I find my bike becomes smoother with HP Petrol (Ordinary) as compared to IOC or BP.
I had similar experience on the FIAT MJD engines (Manza and Swift) . BP is smoother on lower RPMs (especially below 2K RPM) while shell is smoother on higher RPMs but surge at city speeds. IOC gave the max mileage. Reliance worked very well across the board and my favorite. On XUV300 diesel, I am having similar observations on BP but Shell is good across the board. I thought Shell sources from HP and a good HP bunk will have same fuel quality as Shell (experienced it as well).

Petrol - I have found Essar to be the smoothest. I had my friends Alto for sometime, tried various vendors including Shell and found that the engine was the smoothest in Essar, while the mileage was generally good in Shell, Essar, Reliance and good PSU bunks. The smoothness on Essar was very distinct and have had felt the same experience in my pulsar many years ago when Essar first came up. The Essar manager at Medavakkam bunk told me that many bikers come there primarily for the smoothness of petrol.

From my days in Reliance Petro in 1999-2000, Reliance used to supply to IOC, BPCL and HPCL and PSUs sourcing was dependent on regions and it was not necessarily from their own refineries
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2019, 17:44   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
What is the reason for avoiding them? Anything we should watch out for?
I had lots of dirt in my diesel, thanks to the IOCL bunk that is close to my home. I ended up spending 3K in remedying the situation at the Mahindra service center. And then I noticed that the same IOCL bunk is engaged in some funny business with petrol as well; my RE Electra returns 30 Kmpl when filled at their bunk. The BP bunk down the road sees my Electra returning 40 Kmpl as usual.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2019, 21:55   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I had lots of dirt in my diesel, thanks to the IOCL bunk that is close to my home. I ended up spending 3K in remedying the situation at the Mahindra service center. And then I noticed that the same IOCL bunk is engaged in some funny business with petrol as well; my RE Electra returns 30 Kmpl when filled at their bunk. The BP bunk down the road sees my Electra returning 40 Kmpl as usual.
Yeaah. The problem is that several IOC bunks seem to sell impure or possibly adulterated fuel, and those that are good .. well, the number of bunks that try elementary scams like distracting you and making the meter jump up are way higher in IOCL bunks for some reason.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 22:54   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
distracting you and making the meter jump up are way higher in IOCL bunks for some reason.

A fuel attendant tried to con me this way, but I was alert and caught him during bill. The MO was simple, i asked to fill for 500, one guy initially filled for 300 and went away. Then another guy came in and filled for 200 and casually said that my bill was 700. When i said the earlier guy filled for only 300, he agreed that the bill was 500. The worst thing is this happened in supposedly one of the best pumps in Chennai, The BP pump next to trident hotel in the GST road.
guru_max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2020, 11:19   #515
BHPian

From my observation filling up Petrol for my car, scooter and motorcycle for past 2 years and driving 55 odd KM every day, below is my order of preference.

Smoothness : Shell >= HP CoCo > BP/HP > IOC
Mileage : HP CoCo > BP/HP > Shell > IOC

HP CoCo seem to be the best bang for the buck for me as they are generally cheaper than Shell.

I have not tried Essar much as there is not a single Essar station anywhere near my daily commute route.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 18th January 2020 at 11:21.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote