Team-BHP - Best Fuel Stations / Petrol Pumps In Chennai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Chennai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chennai/)
-   -   Best Fuel Stations / Petrol Pumps In Chennai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chennai/56785-best-fuel-stations-petrol-pumps-chennai-4.html)

Hi Sunil,

I happened to see this thread just now :Frustrati. I had filled both Diesel and Petrol (of course on different occasions and different vehicles) in this fuel station, but did not have any problems. Would avoid it now.

Would advice guys staying in and around Velachery to try the HP Bunk in the Velachery Bypass road (Opposite to the Hero Honda Showroom). Service is nothing special, but my car gives a better mileage everytime i fill here. Similar is the HP bunk in Pallavaram (after Pallavaram Bus Stand towards Tambaram).

For the last couple of years I have been using the IOCL COCO in Adyar. This is opposite the Telephone Exchange on L.B. Road. There is a noticeable increase in mileage compared to other bunks.

Attendants trying to distract your attention while filling up is too common a practice for any bunk to be beyond it. However the best way to handle it is to shut the engine, step out of the car and never remove your eyes from the counter. The attendants are quick to assess that you cannot be messed with.

@gvivek75

I used to be regular at the bunk on LB road with the ICICI atm and the sweet shop (forget if it is IOCL). They tried twice to distract me with some free offer and stop the pumping before the said amount was filled and try to reset the meter. I caught them on both occations and was given some flimsy excuse that the power tripped.

Another time, I was waiting behind another customer who was distracted filling out some *prize form* and they shut off his pump. I immediately got out of the car and started walking towards the attendant who quickly ran and turned the pump back on. Then I told the gentlman that he was getting ripped off and both of us gave those idiots a yelling. They were caught red handed. I complained to the manager also, but I am not sure if the owners are colluding in this as it is done so blatantly. Now, I avoid this bunk like the plague.

The fuel in this pump maybe okay but you there will be about 4 or 5 attendants who surround your car with all kinds of questions/offers. Beware. Get out of the car and stand next to the bunk while filling happening..

Another problem I find with this bunk is that they mostly claim that regular petrol/diesel is over and try to push you to buy the premium petrol/deisel. This has happened numerous times to the point, that I once got into an argument with the guys, cause I knew he was bluffing.

I now avoid this pump since there are too many hazzles to deal with. One shouldn't have to go to a petrol bunk and feel that they are wandering through chambal valley during Phoolan Devi's hey days.

I regularly commute from Chromepet to Guindy everyday. The best bunks, in order of priority in this route are:

1. The best is the Shell station on GST Road, Chromepet.

2. Next is the IOC outlet (Shanthi Petroleum) next to Trident Hotel. I filled xtra premium petrol for my bike here. The attendant voluntarily showed me zero on the pump before filling, and gave me a pump generated bill after the fill. Just like Shell!:thumbs up Nobody tried to distract me or even came near me.

3. The HP pump and the BP pump near the Radisson Hotel. Both are good.

4. In the Pallavaram/Chromepet/Tambaram areas, apart from the Shell pump, I will visit onlly the Club HP outlet at RP road, Nehru nagar (Chromepet). One will have to cross the MIT flyover to reach this pump. Problem is more often than not they will have only normal petrol. I don't trust any other pump in the vicinity.

5. If I am visiting T Nagar/Mount Road/Royapettah areas, I will fill in the GN Chetty Road (BP)/ near Gemini Flyover (HP coco)/ TVS outlets respectively.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1826735)
@gvivek75

I used to be regular at the bunk on LB road with the ICICI atm and the sweet shop (forget if it is IOCL). They tried twice to distract me with some free offer and stop the pumping before the said amount was filled and try to reset the meter. I caught them on both occations and was given some flimsy excuse that the power tripped.

I now avoid this pump since there are too many hazzles to deal with. One shouldn't have to go to a petrol bunk and feel that they are wandering through chambal valley during Phoolan Devi's hey days.

Point taken. Though I was commenting on the fuel quality and not specifically on their ethics. In fact in line with your experiences, such distractions have been tried with me too but coming from the badlands of U.P. I am too seasoned with such tactics. My mantra is, never allow them a moment to try out their tricks.

By the way I live in Thiruvanmiyur and commute to OMR for work. Could you suggest any other good bunk in the area which I could start going to?

My favourite petrol pump in Chennai near my home:

Elite Petrol Services [BP retail dealer], 27, Cathedral Road, Chennai - 600 086 [near Stella Maris College/Bapalal's].

I fill up at HPCL Company operated station at Nandanam before mpl showroom.

No cheating by the guys here and also the mileage is consistent if i fill here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvivek75 (Post 1826620)
For the last couple of years I have been using the IOCL COCO in Adyar. This is opposite the Telephone Exchange on L.B. Road. There is a noticeable increase in mileage compared to other bunks.

This guy is a cheat. I've stopped fueling here.

Once i was cheated of 100 rs while filling for 500,
by the company owned BP outlet in Shanthi colony, Annanagar
I don't understand why company owned outlets do this.
Whom does the black money reach?

Another cheat is the IOC oulet opposite EGA theatre.
No wonder it is always deserted.

Another thing i've noticed is some IOC oulets attract auto-drivers more and you can find them in queues. What could be the reason?

@gvivek5:

I have been trying the BP one in Kottivakkam, after electra on the left side before the life line signal. So far they have not tried to cheat me. I need to do a full-to full to see the impact on mileage.

@Daewood:

Auto drivers are very mileage sensitive, hence they will stick to bunks that give right quantity. Then again, auto engines don't get affected too much by kerosene so there is no guarantee regarding quality. Also sometimes, many bunks keep separate stations for Autos/two wheelers and cars and the pump for autos/two wheelers will most likely give closer to the actual quantity as it is these customers are generally more mileage conscious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daewood (Post 1827795)
Whom does the black money reach?

It just goes into the pockets of the attendants.

The BP bunk in Mogappair (opposite to Frontier lifeline) tried a similar technique with me last year but i caught them. Now they have installed the automatic billing machines attached to the pumps and they display a board that 'If you are not handed over the electronic bill, the fuel filled is free' . So if one insists on the bill after filling there is no chance to get cheated. (atleast in this bunk). And in the automatic billing machine , when you swipe your card the attendant doesn't have to enter the amount. So he can't really try the distraction technique here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1827841)
Auto drivers are very mileage sensitive, hence they will stick to bunks that give right quantity. Then again, auto engines don't get affected too much by kerosene so there is no guarantee regarding quality.

I don't think auto drivers prefer bunks which give correct quantity, because their fav bunks are mostly dingy old bunks which still use mechanical meters.

I guess as you suggest it might be the kerosene adultered fuel which attracts them.
Maybe they get it at a lesser price.
I've asked this to many drivers but never got a satisfactory reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daewood (Post 1827795)
Once i was cheated of 100 rs while filling for 500,
by the company owned BP outlet in Shanthi colony, Annanagar

This outlet is mostly run by women attendants. They cheat too? I used to go here but I stopped as cards don't work consistently. They always have some issue or the other.

My regular outlet is the HPCL on 3rd Ave Annanagar. They never cheat, but their air pump sucks. It will always over inflate or under inflate. I get air filled at a Yokohama dealer in Shanti Colony.

I always find the BP bunks as the most notorious ones...one guy asks for the amount other guy talks about the privilege card and the other guy stops at an unsaid amount...

always be aware of the BP bunks in vellachery high road, near Apollo hospital (mount road) and one in nungambakkam (near pizza hut)...

as said and done prevention is better than cure

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilead (Post 1828072)
This outlet is mostly run by women attendants. They cheat too? I used to go here but I stopped as cards don't work consistently. They always have some issue or the other.

My regular outlet is the HPCL on 3rd Ave Annanagar.

This incident happened 3 years back and that was the time they introduced overhead filling tubes and you have to see the reading at a display kept far away. That time it was manned by men only.

Yes, the HPCL outlet in 3rd avenue is good, particularly the guy who always says "Vanakkam" to every customerclap:They aslo clean your windshield if it's dirty.