Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Chennai

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2010, 17:38   #121
BHPian

@headers: very obvious! then whats the point of using shell super unleaded when one can use 97?
Old 5th June 2010, 19:40   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagxf View Post
@headers: very obvious! then whats the point of using shell super unleaded when one can use 97?
The Jag is a high performance car that will benefit from high octane fuel. The ordinary cars don't require it. Shell super is the same octane as the Shell normal petrol, with some additives for engine cleanliness.
Old 6th June 2010, 15:40   #123
BHPian

One of the reasonable HP outlets in ANNA SALAI, which pumps good quality fuel and no cheating is - the one after KUN / DSC (not sure about the name) Hyundai junction. It is a COCO bunk. It is the one that houses the XENOS boutique. Fuel here seems to be unadulterated and billing, QOS seems to be decent.

The BP at the Velachery-Aquatic complex -Raj bhavan road junction (just opposite to old corcorde building, now a big construction is going on) seems to cheat many times.

The HP at 100 feet road velachery is moderately crowded and sells good quality fuel. Service is just average.

I generally find IOC bunks fuel quality are quite okay, and Shell takes the crown overall (quality and yes. including the skyrocketing prices) :-D
Old 6th June 2010, 22:04   #124
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Quote:
With 97 Octane, most cars will give you a slight increase in FE as well as power. Its obvious isnt it?
No ways.
Cars with lower compression than 10.0 will not be able to compress the high octane fuel making the flame speed slower.
And in the absence of a knock sensor, the ECU won't know what fuel its running and will base the timing on sensor input from the IAT in closed loop conditions.

Petrol cars with a turbo or high compression and a knock sensor need Speed 97.
Old 6th June 2010, 22:17   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OT:
No ways.
Cars with lower compression than 10.0 will not be able to compress the high octane fuel making the flame speed slower.
And in the absence of a knock sensor, the ECU won't know what fuel its running and will base the timing on sensor input from the IAT in closed loop conditions.

Petrol cars with a turbo or high compression and a knock sensor need Speed 97.
I beg to differ on that!

If we talk non ECU vehicles. It can run on higher octane fuel. You need to retune the engine for that!!
Old 6th June 2010, 22:36   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
If we talk non ECU vehicles. It can run on higher octane fuel. You need to retune the engine for that!!
Increase compression (Can we call this tuning?).
And advance timing at the distributor (Of course, this is tuning).
Old 7th June 2010, 13:58   #127
BHPian

Guys,
I recently moved from Kottivakkam to Virugambakkam, so please let me know reliable petrol pumps nearby my area.
Old 8th June 2010, 14:58   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
One of the reasonable HP outlets in ANNA SALAI, which pumps good quality fuel and no cheating is - the one after KUN / DSC (not sure about the name) Hyundai junction. It is a COCO bunk. It is the one that houses the XENOS boutique. Fuel here seems to be unadulterated and billing, QOS seems to be decent.

The BP at the Velachery-Aquatic complex -Raj bhavan road junction seems to cheat many times.
+1 to that. I am a regular at the HP station, consistent quantity and quality. I can bet on the mileage when i fill here.

Another HP station that i fill is at TTK Road, before the eldams road signal. No cheating here as well.

To avoid:
The BP near Raj Bhavan tried to cheat me as well with the (cash/card technique and Rs 200 filled techniques twice), stopped going there eversince.
HP pump at medavakkam road towards velachery, they dont' even have the tag and 200 technique here as well.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:54   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
Guys,
I recently moved from Kottivakkam to Virugambakkam, so please let me know reliable petrol pumps nearby my area.
Welcome to Virugambakkam, Funnyguru. Where exactly in Virugambakkam do you stay?
Coming back to your question, there's a shell bunk diagonally opposite to the Vadapalani bus stand. I don't use it. Can't afford the extra 4/5Rs. Instead, I use the BP bunk near the Kodambakkam junction(When going towards Kodambakkam from Vadapalani, it's on the left hand side just before the Kodambakkam signals).
Been a regular to that bunk for the past 7 years. Never been short-changed and the overall experience is good.
Actually, there are quite a number of bunks in Vadapalani/Virugambakkam area but for no apparent reason I don't go there. I always prefer the one mentioned above.
But do avoid the shady looking petrol bunk(HP???) that's opposite to Vijay hospital.This petrol bunk is next to Rahat Plaza. Been short-changed once there.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:23   #130
BHPian

I am trying to find a reliable pump in the shols/tambaram/mcity(Chengalpattu) route if any? Are they any good pumps in the camp road area?
Old 8th June 2010, 18:03   #131
BHPian

[quote=Klever;1926872]Welcome to Virugambakkam, Funnyguru. Where exactly in Virugambakkam do you stay?

Hey buddy, i stay near Avichi school, near Jain's apartment.
Old 8th June 2010, 18:09   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
I am trying to find a reliable pump in the shols/tambaram/mcity(Chengalpattu) route if any? Are they any good pumps in the camp road area?

As soon as you cross the Katankulathar and just before Marimalai nagar (Tambaram -Chengalpatu route), on the left side you see a BPCL bunk. This is a COCO bunk. You can see a lot of truckers lining up to fill their tanks. This bunk used to be good in terms of Quality and Quantity. Its been a while since I used this bunk, can some one shed some light on this?
Old 9th June 2010, 09:06   #133
Senior - BHPian

Balakrishna Automobiles - RA Puram, Chennai

Pump on St Mary's Road RA Puram. Balakrishna Automobiles. Very good, No Cheating, shows zero before fill. We can see lots of vehicles lined up. He is the official filler for Park Sheraton Cabs. I fill up there only as far as i can. no problems faced so far.

Amenties: Ordinary Water wash, Standard Chartered ATM, In&Out Store, Cards accepted at pump, Emission Test Facility
Old 10th June 2010, 09:01   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkrish View Post
Check the one near the Kamatchi Hospital Flyover, Pallikaranai. I had written a blog post on this long back. Check this post.
Alex!! Welcome to TBHP! Good to see you here!
Old 10th June 2010, 16:38   #135
Senior - BHPian

Filled up full tank in the IO bunk on ECR today. This is in Kottivakkam. After the auto cut off I gave the guy the card, asked him to get the bill and then moved to fill up air for the tyres.

After filling up air, I am waiting and the guy comes and gives me a charge slip for 1745. I sign it on an impulse and then remember filling for only 1600 odd. Just to check, I have a look at the bill and sure enough, it said 1645.XX.

I ask the guy the same and he promptly goes and comes back with a 100 rupee note and an apology. Just posted it here as I did not know whether this was done by oversight or not (His promptness in immediately giving me 100 is what surprised me)

PS: I always fill up in this bunk and have found it to be the better of all the three bunks in the area.

Most Viewed