Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Chennai
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 23:46   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Yes, I am saying this with experience. I have tried with Elantra,Zen,Pulsar and Activa. Both normal and premium petrol give almost the same mileage. I am not sure on the cleaner combustion part though.
To really benefit hi-octane fuel the engine should be capable enough.
I don't think any of the normal cars here have that.

Vtec has a slightly higher compression ratio, so at least in theory it should help (whatever lil it does). I've been told it does't have a knock sensor, so better fuel helps.

Premium fuel giving more mileage ? I don't know about that.

I'll test (very unscientific of-course) and will update.
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:40   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
To really benefit hi-octane fuel the engine should be capable enough.
I don't think any of the normal cars here have that.

Vtec has a slightly higher compression ratio, so at least in theory it should help (whatever lil it does). I've been told it does't have a knock sensor, so better fuel helps.

Premium fuel giving more mileage ? I don't know about that.

I'll test (very unscientific of-course) and will update.
All premium petrols (except Speed 97) as well as normal petrols have the same RON - 91. The premium part refers to the engine cleaning additives that are blended to the normal petrol.

I have repeatedly tested my Splendor with both Shell normal and Super unleaded. The bike is undoubtedly smoother and returns 2 KMPL more with super unleaded.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:06   #213
BHPian

In Chennai , Shell Diesel is Rs 46.95 where as BP has it for Rs 40.18. Is Shell Diesel worth for extra Rs 6.77/Litre?
I will end up paying Rs 270 more on every refill of my i20. Than driving experiance, will it safeguard my engine (Benefit to the premium that we pay on each litre of diesel)
Current running cost is Rs 2.30/Km, i should get approx 117 Km more for each tank fill. Will it work? Please suggest
Old 23rd September 2010, 20:47   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
In Chennai , Shell Diesel is Rs 46.95 where as BP has it for Rs 40.18. Is Shell Diesel worth for extra Rs 6.77/Litre?
I will end up paying Rs 270 more on every refill of my i20. Than driving experiance, will it safeguard my engine (Benefit to the premium that we pay on each litre of diesel)
Current running cost is Rs 2.30/Km, i should get approx 117 Km more for each tank fill. Will it work? Please suggest

IMO, Shell diesel is not worth it. But there may be different viewpoints on this forum!

I realised after 20 years of motoring that using normal diesel works best!!
Old 24th September 2010, 13:40   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
IMO, Shell diesel is not worth it. But there may be different viewpoints on this forum!

I realised after 20 years of motoring that using normal diesel works best!!
Thats quite a statement. Then looks like I've been doing the correct thing after all.

Logically - the auto companies would be taking the average quality of the fuel available in the country and be modifying the vehicle to use that quality. So logically, the locally available diesel should be the best option as you've pointed out.

The Shell Diesel, on the other hand must be too rich in taste for the Indian vehicles. Like foreign liquor probably.

I guess we would have to fill at a very good PSU bunk and nothing more than that is required.
Old 24th September 2010, 16:06   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
The easiest way I guess would be to test. Fill it up with Shell and work out the running cost per kilometer. If it decreases it should be worth it. I'm suggesting this method as the other factors like cleaner combustion, better cleaning etc just can not be measured by us.
Old 29th October 2010, 21:02   #217
BHPian

My 100% unscientific test results.

Shell normal

444Kms / 42 Ltrs = 10.54 Km/Ltr.

I usually get the same figure with normal err.. Speed petrol.

Last weekend I went for a trip to Velankanni and back.
Used normal petrol all the way. 100% A/C , 4 adults + 1 child + luggage in the boot.

Was shocked what the vtec gave.

191 kms / 11.54 Ltrs = 16.55 Km/Ltr with

Roads were so good we did the first 144km in 2 hrs flat.

Next fillup 333Kms / 29.4 Ltrs = 11.32 Km/ Ltr.

came back with a tab more than 3/4 tank.

684 Kms with approximately 56 Ltrs of normal fuel. = 12.21Km/Ltr
Not bad considering total driving time was around 7 hrs to and 6.5hrs while returning.

Took 2.5 hrs from Pondy to Chennai while returning.

So shell gave me not much benefit.
So did speed, so normal petrol seems to be the sanest choice.

Speed boat rocks.
Old 10th November 2010, 12:38   #218
BHPian

Guys beware of the IOC pump in LB road.

Last week these guys tried to pull a fast one by cutting off @ 201 rs and then filling up for 799 after resetting to zero.

A third guy was all along trying to distract me with the IOC card stuff and asking me about TN 38 and where is the car from etc.,

Somehow I was not convinced looking at the fuel gauge, and called the manger and asked him for the two bills from the pump. I was shocked to find out the first bill showed 0.00 rs and second 799.00.

Was in a hurry..so just moved on after they filled in the balance.

Last edited by 2theMax : 10th November 2010 at 12:39.
Old 10th November 2010, 14:00   #219
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
From the 220 posts in this thread, we could compile a list of 'must avoid' and 'recommended' fuel pumps in town.
We could even make a jpeg image of the city map with the various pumps marked and suitable colour coded.
What say?
Old 10th November 2010, 14:16   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
From the 220 posts in this thread, we could compile a list of 'must avoid' and 'recommended' fuel pumps in town.

We could even make a jpeg image of the city map with the various pumps marked and suitable colour coded.
What say?
Great idea. Also include LPG stations.

BTW, my contribution to the list. Avoid filling LPG at the outlet (BP I think) selling LPG. I had once visited them, asked them to fill up my LPG tank having capacity of 60 ltrs. He stopped after filling 50 ltrs and said I should not fill up to capacity.

I got suspicious and asked him to continue. The meter was going beyond 12 odd litres and he got jittery and stopped and refused to fill more citing safety reasons. I insisted on a bill for the total amount of gas filled. It was some 62 odd litres. I could've taken them to task but then realised, this is one big racket. No point fighting them as I'll only be wasting my time, money and effort.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:23   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrajesh View Post

I got suspicious and asked him to continue. The meter was going beyond 12 odd litres and he got jittery and stopped and refused to fill more citing safety reasons. I insisted on a bill for the total amount of gas filled. It was some 62 odd litres. I could've taken them to task but then realised, this is one big racket. No point fighting them as I'll only be wasting my time, money and effort.
Same thing happened to me a few years back at the BP pump just before the koyambedu flyover.
Old 11th November 2010, 17:09   #222
BHPian

I came across this list of LPG filling stations in chennai from some website.Hope this will be helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LPG chennai stations.pdf (18.3 KB, 510 views)
Old 11th November 2010, 19:43   #223
Ice
BHPian

Been filling at Balakrishna BP on St. Mary's Rd for the past 15 years, and Madhu's opposite MRF office on Greams Road. Have a running account at both these stations, and they have been 100% honest on billing, quality of fuel, and quantity.
Old 12th November 2010, 00:16   #224
BHPian

Oops, sorry for not mentioning the particular fuel station that I was referring to. It is the one located next to LIC building on Mount road.
Old 28th December 2010, 18:40   #225
BHPian

Re: Best Fuel Stations / Petrol Pumps In Chennai

The company owned HP pump on mount road just before the model school road turning has shut down. Have been told an office building is coming up at the location.

That bunk was probably amongst the most reliable in chennai & close to home too. Guess I'm going to have to drive down to the bunk after dominoes on cathedral road for reliable fuel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks