Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Chennai

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 10:57   #391
BHPian

Re: Best Fuel Stations / Petrol Pumps In Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
how do you rate Shell petrol on FuelEfficiency compared to petrol from a good BP/HP pump ? Just curious to know if Shell petrol is really worth the premium they charge over PSU petrol.
These are the results that I found with my i10 1.2 Kappa2.

BP - 10 - 11 kmpl
HP - 11 - 13 kmpl
Shell - 14 kmpl

The Shell petrol pump at Camp Road, Selaiyur seems to be good.
eyesice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 13:37   #392
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, eyesice. Figures do help quantify results better.

BTW, any specific reason why BP/HP figures are a range, while Shell FE is a clear figure ? I am guessing that is the varying FE figures got from various BP/HP bunks, while the Shell figure is consistently from same bunk (Selaiyur). If so, do post the details of the HP bunk where you get 13kmpl, because that is almost close to the Shell figure, but at lower retail price than Shell fuel.
Old 28th July 2014, 17:37   #393
Senior - BHPian

I used to fill up at Shell Ekkaduthangal and T.Nagar Ekayars in tandem for my bike in 2010 I didn't see much visible FE difference between Shell and Ekayars BP (gave about 45 on Suzuki Access 125). My car, the same i10 Kappa gave 12-14 filled always at Ekayars, the difference was due to my office commute timings, get lower when I idle out and higher if I manage to stay in 3-4th gear for bulk of my commute.

So even within BP or HP, it depends on which bunk you fill. Not all BPs or HPs are the same, though I always filled at BP I didn't like the one near Spic near Guindy ABT.
Old 30th July 2014, 23:47   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, any specific reason why BP/HP figures are a range, while Shell FE is a clear figure ? I am guessing that is the varying FE figures got from various BP/HP bunks, while the Shell figure is consistently from same bunk (Selaiyur). If so, do post the details of the HP bunk where you get 13kmpl, because that is almost close to the Shell figure, but at lower retail price than Shell fuel.
You are right. I used to fill up from different BP / HP bunks. The HP bunk at Eachankadu Junction ( Pallavaram - Thoraipakkam 200 ft road ) is the best I have come across.

There is a Shell Bunk in OMR after Sholinganallur which also returns good mileage. The price is also slightly less ( 10p / ltr ) -http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...ing-board.html

If you come across any decent non shell bunks, please share
Old 31st July 2014, 18:01   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

I really do NOT want to run thru all the 27 pages, but would like to get feedback on the BP COCO at Chintadripet (Opposite to new secretariat building - Government hospital now), Ritchie Street entrance.

Also does anyone know their work timings? I see them closing around 10.30 PM.
Old 26th August 2014, 21:27   #396
BHPian

Any recommendations around Velachery area? I usually fill up from either the HP pump in 100 ft road or the IOC pump near Guru Nanak college. Of late I am not entirely convinced about the quantity of fuel dispensed at both these places.
Old 1st September 2014, 16:18   #397
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Any recommendations around Velachery area? I usually fill up from either the HP pump in 100 ft road or the IOC pump near Guru Nanak college. Of late I am not entirely convinced about the quantity of fuel dispensed at both these places.
The HP Bunk on 100 ft road- Velachery bypass was good, but off late, the quality seems to have detoriated. IOC near Guru Nanak was pretty bad from the beginning.

I usually fill up in the HP Bunk in Pallavaram - Thoraipakkam road, towards Pallavaram after the Koot Road signal. This has maintained the quality of its fuels. If it is not way off, you could try and fill up here.
Old 1st October 2014, 17:31   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I usually fill up in the HP Bunk in Pallavaram - Thoraipakkam road, towards Pallavaram after the Koot Road signal. This has maintained the quality of its fuels. If it is not way off, you could try and fill up here.
Are you talking about the HP pump which is opposite to Shell? Or the one which is on the Eachankadu junction?
Old 1st October 2014, 18:06   #399
BHPian

The IOC COCO bunk at Singaperumal koil seems to be good. Did a tankful of diesel there recently and was happy. There is also a BPCL COCO bunk at Mahindra city where diesel seems to be good as well.

There is less crowd at IOCL bunk these days and good IOCL bunks like Shanti service station in Meenambakkam and Singaperumal koil bunks are decent choices.
Old 2nd October 2014, 14:31   #400
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Are you talking about the HP pump which is opposite to Shell? Or the one which is on the Eachankadu junction?
The HP Fuel Station which is after the junction, but before the Shell Bunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Fuel Stations / Petrol Pumps In Chennai-screenshot_20141002142750.png  

Old 2nd October 2014, 15:32   #401
BHPian

I thought you guys were referring to the HP petrol bunk which comes after the Vel's signal(coming from pallavaram side).That is where i fill up regularly but i am not sure if the quality is good or not.
I have filled in shell petrol bunk which comes next to it many times,but could not find any difference in mileage.
Old 15th October 2014, 15:58   #402
BHPian

Hi Maverick

I moved to Medavakkam a few months ago..Can you recommend a good place for wheel alignment and also to buy tyres for my Figo tdci. I live in Sitalapakkam to be exact and medavakkam should be ideal for the above work to be done.

Regards
keshav
Old 20th October 2014, 10:52   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
Hi Maverick

I moved to Medavakkam a few months ago..Can you recommend a good place for wheel alignment and also to buy tyres for my Figo tdci. I live in Sitalapakkam to be exact and medavakkam should be ideal for the above work to be done.

Regards
keshav
Rao tyres does a good job. He has a bigger facility inside camp road in addition to the one on Tambaram - velachery road.
Both shops have good set up.

Regards,
Maverick79.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 08:11   #404
BHPian

Recently have been tanking up from AB Enterprises IOCL bunk in Semmenjeri. This is a unit of Praveen Travels. When going towards Mahabalipuram, cross Sholinganalur -> Infosys -> TCS and this will be on your left hand side. Or just near the 2nd foot overbridge after Sholinganalur. Quality seems to be fine. I am constantly getting 12.7-12.9 in my petrol Swift (2007) with 100% AC.
Old 13th April 2016, 23:24   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Filled diesel for the last three times at Shanti service station (IOC bunk) opposite to Old airport. Would recommend the bunk for both quality and quantity as I got pretty good mileage and engine runs super smooth. Was recommended by another bhpian geeash.
I was casually going through team bhp forum posts, i happen to read this about Shanthi petrol bunk, i though i should share my very recent bitter experience.

when i bought Vento in Dec 2015, VW gave me a handwritten coupon for 5 liters of Diesel and asked me to use the coupon in Shanthi petrol Bunk. I have a practice of fueling my vehicles only from BP(be it car or bike) except in rare cases. with that said, i did not wish to do fuel my Vento for the first time in an IOC bunk(basically my mindset) and hence i went to BP next and filled it tank full. After couple of tankfill from BP, i visited Shanthi petrol bunk (IOC) on one fine day to exchange the free coupon. I explained the person clearly that i have a free coupon for 5 litres, hence fill the tank for first 5 litres and reset the meter to zero and then do a tank fill; he also agreed, got the coupon from me and handed it over to his colleague standing nearby and started filling Diesel. When the meter reading was about to strike 5 litres, another person standing nearby purposely wanted to distract my attention and called me so urgently that i need to sign a register because i am using a token. While i told him that i will sign after the meter reading is complete, in a fraction of second the guy continued to fill diesel from 200+ and odd rupees; without resetting the meter. I tried to stop him but he never bothered to listen to me and did the refill and finally argued that he had reset the meter to zero. finally without knowing what to do i paid for the entire 17 litres and about to leave the bunk, but suddenly i thought i should not let myself cheated by these guys that too for solid 5 lts of Diesel, I parked my vehicle by side, came to those 2 persons and I literally argued with both the persons for 5 minutes, and then there came a third person who was watching this scene quietly. He came to me and told me that such things will not happen here, but i reiterated again to him that meter was not reset. Finally the third person agreed that mistake happened somehow unknowingly and gave me back the 200+ rupees(could not remember the amount exactly)

I called up VW manager and explained him on the happennings, he also agreed that these guys are doing it continuously and this was the 3rd incident reported. I asked him why not KUN VW terminate the relation ship with this bunk and issue BP coupons, i was told that it is not KUN's decision, but VW have to decide on this and that he will escalate to VW, not sure what they did after that.
anandharamanp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed