Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Chennai

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2018, 12:20   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best Fuel Stations / Petrol Pumps In Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
How is the small essar bunk just after the guindy cloverleaf exit towards st.thomas mount/poonamallee ? Is it some old derelict bunk newly rebranded as essar or is it fresh construction ? Qty/qlty ?
Any and every Essar bunk I've tried has been high quality. That bunk you mention is one that I quite often fill Diesel in when I am going to Bangalore from Chennai (which is once a month at least).

There's another Essar on the OMR - Pallavaram radial road which I often fill at.

My order of preference - Shell, Reliance / Essar, then BP. Indian Oil and HP are generally only as a last resort, except when local knowledge on highways says that the pump in question is good.
Old 21st June 2018, 18:01   #467
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That bunk you mention is one that I quite often fill Diesel in when I am going to Bangalore from Chennai (which is once a month at least).
THis essar bunk has only petrol.
Just after descending guindy flyover, one the way to st.thomas mount.
Its a small bunk where any car greater than 4m length will be unable to come out without a 3 point turn after filling up.
Old 21st June 2018, 19:35   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
THis essar bunk has only petrol.
Just after descending guindy flyover, one the way to st.thomas mount.
Its a small bunk where any car greater than 4m length will be unable to come out without a 3 point turn after filling up.
I seem to be thinking of a different pump then, as I’ve filled diesel there. Apologies.
Old 29th June 2018, 13:37   #469
BHPian

Unethical V power push by Shell at Ekkatuthangal.

I work in Taramani and live up north, and I make a practice to always fill up at Shell at Ekkatuthangal, on my way back home. This is mainly for guaranteed quantity and quality. This adds half an hour to my journey, but I always feel its worth it as I care about my car and don't want to risk bad fuel in my car.

The good thing about this pump was that they never troubled me to fill up with VPower. Of course, there was a customary "saar try Vpower, its good.", but when told to fill up with normal petrol they obliged. Over the last three weeks, I have been noticing that they just point blank stop the sale of normal petrol after 10 pm. I was once told that normal petrol stocks are over and I filled up with Vpower as it was too late already (after 11.30 pm, and not a time to be hunting petrol pumps). Went to fill up again yesterday, and the same story.

I lost it this time and demanded to see the manager. I was led to a supervisor who pleaded helplessness and that the stocks were really over for normal petrol. I wanted to see the complaint book to register a complaint, and all of a sudden, magically, normal petrol is available. Filled up and left.

I understand that Vpower is expensive and ergo makes more money for Shell, but there is absolutely no scientific or logical reason for Vpower. it DOES NOT make a difference. And add to that, Honda actually advises against the use of petrol with additives. Why should I be forced to buy a petrol that doesn't make sense? I would gladly pay an additional 20 bucks a liter if there was a purpose, but this is just robbery!

I didn't want to be taken for a ride and so I made a stand. How many people would be bothered? They would just fill Vpower and get going. Shell petrol pumps are trusted blindly, but they have now started lying. Is it time to avoid Shell? There is an Essar bunk near my home, I think its time to start taking my business there!
esoticoreventon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 14:28   #470
Senior - BHPian

Re: Unethical V power push by Shell at Ekkatuthangal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
I make a practice to always fill up at Shell at Ekkatuthangal
I remember you asked about pumps that were open at midnight few months/year back. I confirm Ekayars BP on Venkatanarayana Road is indeed open past midnight. I passed them around 1230-1am once and all lights were on and there were people filling up.

I have filled in Shell Ekkaduthangal many times (used to work near there) and haven't felt anything different in my ride/drive for the premium paid. I too have seen them hard selling the premium petrol, but never bothered once. Experienced the same hard selling in Arcot Road and Chromepet Shell as well.
Old 29th June 2018, 16:59   #471
Senior - BHPian

Filled up Shell V-Power at the Shell enterprise near the Kamatchi hospital. It was priced at an absurd 93.xx per litre, but they have a priority station where one would not have to wait to fill up, while the normal petrol pumps have long ques during peak hours.

I found absolutely trivial difference in the way the bike runs, and 'zero' difference in mileage. I wonder how they even thought of pricing this premium gasoline at a huge premium of about 10-12 Rs over regular gasoline
No wonder Shell outlets resort to such gimmicks to sell this special stuff.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 18:26   #472
BHPian

V-Power is hard sold at Shell Chromepet too. Once at mid afternoon, they said regular petrol is being re-filled and won't be available for 30 mins. I got frustrated as the same line has been used by them before, filled up V-Power for a meager amount and left. Never been to any Shell since then. Have experienced this blatant lying and up-selling at 3 Shell stations so far. Not going to entertain them anymore.

Also, haven't found any difference with V-Power at all. With their shady tactics, I would question if they even really fill V-Power from V-Power fuel lines, it's too easy to fill regular and charge for V-Power.
Old 29th June 2018, 18:42   #473
BANNED

AFAIK, shell V power has some additives which are mainly detergents/cleaning agents aimed at getting rid of soot/sludge from the valves, cylinder head etc. This is going to be of any use at all, either in old carbuerettor engines or modern fuel injection (manifold/direct) which have run atleast 60k to 70k where there is some hope of carbon/sludge build up. Even then, not sure how beneficial it is. Otherwise, its just a waste of money is what I came to know through word of mouth
Old 30th June 2018, 14:54   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Been filling at the Shell petrol station in Semmanchery, kind of opposite to the Times of India building, OMR. Been using regular as well as V-Power in my TVS Wego and VW Polo GT TSI for the last 3 years. They are good.

I have tried every premium/regular fuel by every PSU brand on my VW Polo GT TSI but I get knocking noise on hard acceleration on all of them except HP Power Petrol. On a friend's insistence, I tried out the V Power from Shell, that only increased the knocking noise. Switching to regular Shell also didn't help. Back to HP's Power. The usual two HP bunks I trust are Idumban Service Station before MGR Janaki college and the COCO HP on Mount Road Nandanam next to the VW dealership.
Old 30th June 2018, 22:46   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I have tried every premium/regular fuel by every PSU brand on my VW Polo GT TSI but I get knocking noise on hard acceleration on all of them except HP Power Petrol. On a friend's insistence, I tried out the V Power from Shell, that only increased the knocking noise. Switching to regular Shell also didn't help. Back to HP's Power. The usual two HP bunks I trust are Idumban Service Station before MGR Janaki college and the COCO HP on Mount Road Nandanam next to the VW dealership.
That's surprising . Power or power 99? Knocking sound should not happen. Better get it checked out
Old 2nd July 2018, 22:37   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, shell V power has some additives which are mainly detergents/cleaning agents aimed at getting rid of soot/sludge from the valves, cylinder head etc. This is going to be of any use at all, either in old carbuerettor engines or modern fuel injection (manifold/direct) which have run atleast 60k to 70k where there is some hope of carbon/sludge build up. Even then, not sure how beneficial it is. Otherwise, its just a waste of money is what I came to know through word of mouth
It is about prevention of build-up, rather than removal of carbon. Except for the detergent additives, it is normal Shell petrol, same octane.

I have been filling V power for my bike from 2007 at the Chromepet Shell, when the odo was around 70k. Past the 100k mark, my mechanic wanted to decarb the silencer. I said it won't be necessary, but he kept pestering me, so I let him do it at 112k on the odo. He took it to a place where they will cut open part of the silencer from one side and direct a blow torch inside to burn out carbon deposits, then weld it back so that the cutting will not be visible normally.

Later in the day he brought the bike back, smiling sheepishly. "There was nothing inside sir, it was a waste of time and money" he said. The bike is a Y2K Splendor.

When I bought my car in 2009, I filled 5 litres of IOC petrol at the ABT bunk against the coupon they gave. Then drove it to Shell Chromepet and filled the tank with V Power. I have never filled any other fuel for both car and bike so far. Since I always top up at the half tank level in both, if sometimes V Power is not available, I will move out without filling!

Initially I alternately tried V Power and normal Shell petrol in the bike a few times. There was a perceptible difference in pick-up and smoothness with V Power, and also about 2 kmpl in mileage.

Incidentally I have seen a few cab drivers also filling V Power at Shell.

Last edited by Gansan : 2nd July 2018 at 22:38.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:47   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
That's surprising . Power or power 99? Knocking sound should not happen. Better get it checked out

I don't even know where we get Power 99. I fill Power only. There's no knocking sound with Power at all. So I don't think there's a problem.
Old 3rd July 2018, 17:18   #478
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have never filled any other fuel for both car and bike so far. Since I always top up at the half tank level in both, if sometimes V Power is not available, I will move out without filling!

Initially I alternately tried V Power and normal Shell petrol in the bike a few times. There was a perceptible difference in pick-up and smoothness with V Power, and also about 2 kmpl in mileage.

Incidentally I have seen a few cab drivers also filling V Power at Shell.
V-power diesel and V-power petrol have the same cleaning quality ? Cabbies filling V-power diesel is a big big surprise for me, shell normal fuel itself is a few rupees above PSU retail rate.
Old 3rd July 2018, 19:35   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
V-power diesel and V-power petrol have the same cleaning quality ? Cabbies filling V-power diesel is a big big surprise for me, shell normal fuel itself is a few rupees above PSU retail rate.
Cabbies seem to swear by it for high mileage and heavily abused engines. I guess the detergents in it help somewhat with the huge amount of gunk in their engines due to infrequent oil changes, clutch riding at signals and heavy use in stop start city traffic.
Old 29th July 2018, 00:12   #480
BHPian

New Shell station opened in Kelambakkam on Kelambakkam - Vandalur road. It's on the left just after taking right from OMR at the Kelambakkam junction. This is good news for me as there is a dearth of good pumps in this stretch. Hopefully they don't piss me off like other Shell stations by trying to sell only V-Power with silly reasons.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 29th July 2018 at 00:15.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed