Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2022, 19:13   #556
tud
BHPian

Re: Best Fuel Stations / Petrol Pumps In Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Isn't BS6 diesel being produced at refinery level? I mean to say, all the refineries in India produce only bs6 fuel. Don't they? Bs4 fuel being available even now is news to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I spoke to a friend who has a Diesel Fortuner and he said not all pumps are dispensing the BS6 diesel even now. I too was surprised this was the case.
Never owned a diesel car and I initially thought the DPF issues were more due to manufacturer fault rather than incompatible fuel being put in.
Does anyone know what is the status with Chennai? The diesel that we get here is BS 4 or BS 6 compliant?
Old 28th August 2022, 19:54   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Any IOC bunks in Chennai dispensing xtragreen diesel? I wanto to try it but I have not heard anyone about a good IOC bunk yet.
The IOC bunk Shanthi Petroleum, immediately after Trident as you drive towards airport, dispenses Xtragreen. It is a decent petrol bunk.

In fact all the three bunks near Trident - HP (Krishnaraj & co), BP (Abdul cader & co) and the IOC (Shanthi petroleum) are decent bunks.The next good one is the Shell at Chromepet. I have not tried any other bunks between Guindy and Trichy! In Trichy my favourite bunk is TVS.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 06:46   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The IOC bunk Shanthi Petroleum, immediately after Trident as you drive towards airport, dispenses Xtragreen. It is a decent petrol bunk.

In fact all the three bunks near Trident - HP (Krishnaraj & co), BP (Abdul cader & co) and the IOC (Shanthi petroleum) are decent bunks.The next good one is the Shell at Chromepet. I have not tried any other bunks between Guindy and Trichy! In Trichy my favourite bunk is TVS.
The reliance pump at Singaperumal Koil is my usual place to fuel up. There is an Essar pump on the highway just beyond Trichy that is very good as well.

Last edited by hserus : 29th August 2022 at 06:48.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 13:12   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The reliance pump at Singaperumal Koil is my usual place to fuel up. There is an Essar pump on the highway just beyond Trichy that is very good as well.
The Essar pump is on the way to Madurai?
Old 8th September 2022, 21:52   #560
ike
BHPian

Quote:
I went to Shanti on Sunday and they did not have Xtragreen. The guy mentioned they stock only fancier variants of petrol and dispense ordinary diesel only.
Old 17th September 2022, 20:21   #561
BHPian

Posting a general query related to IOCL outlets in Chennai.

It seems that quality of the petrol varies "significantly' between outlets. I have tried XP95 from 3 or 4 different IOCL outlets and I see quite a bit if difference in quality, seen via performance of my car as well as in mileage.

Is there a reliable IOCL outlet in the KK Nagar - Ashok Nagar - T Nagar area or OMR (Perungudi-Taramani-Velachery nearby areas)? Even their COCO in Indira Nagar seems to be questionable.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 21:10   #562
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

@asmr, Now this is a seriously scary piece of info that you have. The last refuge of the enthusiast who is wary of adulteration, is XP95 and COCO.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 21:27   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Is there a reliable IOCL outlet in the KK Nagar - Ashok Nagar - T Nagar area or OMR (Perungudi-Taramani-Velachery nearby areas)?
That Indira Nagar COCO is the better of the lot. Otherwise rest of the IOC don't inspire any sort of confidence. If you are brand agnostic, Ekayars BPCL on Venkatnarayana Road is the best of the lot, has a long term reputation (like 40-50 years). There is one more BPCL near Raintree on St Mary's Road, that too has a long-term reputation.

I now fill diesel at an IOC regularly, but this is the COCO at SP Koil.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 22:26   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
@asmr, Now this is a seriously scary piece of info that you have. The last refuge of the enthusiast who is wary of adulteration, is XP95 and COCO.
I am sorry if I came across as being alarmist. My drives within city are pretty standard in terms of timing and distance. So I am able to easily see the difference in average mileage showing up on the console. It also correlates very well with the excel file I maintain to record all of my fuel topups, which I have posted in my initial ownership review thread as well. The difference in quality just stands out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
That Indira Nagar COCO is the better of the lot. Otherwise rest of the IOC don't inspire any sort of confidence. If you are brand agnostic, Ekayars BPCL on Venkatnarayana Road is the best of the lot, has a long term reputation (like 40-50 years). There is one more BPCL near Raintree on St Mary's Road, that too has a long-term reputation.

I would love to go with BPCL or even HPCL but they do not have any RON95 product. I am very familiar with the one near Raintree. Been there several times with my Santro. For my Taigun, I have been to Ekayars once to fill Speed 97 but the price difference between XP95 vs Speed 97 (not to mention Power 99 or XP100) leaves me no choice but to go with XP95 for most refills.

Slightly OT for this thread - I am yet to try Speed 93 or Power 99 though. I am hoping that Speed 93 would work decently enough if cycled with XP95? Or may be a mix of Speed 93 and Power 99 (like fill tank with Speed 93, drive 100kms, fill tank with Power 99) would give the best of both worlds, albeit at a slightly higher cost than XP95.

Last edited by asmr : 17th September 2022 at 22:29. Reason: Fixed typos
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 06:12   #565
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
There is one more BPCL near Raintree on St Mary's Road, that too has a long-term reputation.
Balakrishna’s Petrol Pump on St Mary’s Road. BPCL. He has Speed 97 too. Not always but most of the time. He has been around forever and has a first class reputation. My Dad and Sis and all still fill gas only there and nowhere else in the city of Madras.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th September 2022 at 06:14.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 09:19   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure the Indira Nagar one is currently a COCO, I occasionally fill there as this is the closest pump to my house - and the cc bill says ALV Fuels, not IOC COCO anything.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 09:56   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry if I came across as being alarmist. My drives within city are pretty standard in terms of timing and distance. So I am able to easily see the difference in average mileage showing up on the console.
I would generally suggest you to stick to one pump (two at most) when in the city. I've obsessively doing that on all the vehicles I own/owned including 2-wheelers. This applies even to my highway drives where I stick to the same pumps.

I've seen my MID and tank-to-tank FE figures vary over a 2-3 kpl range depending on traffic, AC usage, weather even though I stick to the same dispenser in the same pump and supervise the fuelling from fuel lid open to close.

IOC generally isn't high on my list. Have heard lot of adulteration stories, which have kept me away. Only the last dozen fuel ups I've found confidence in the SP Koil COCO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Are you sure the Indira Nagar one is currently a COCO, I occasionally fill there as this is the closest pump to my house - and the cc bill says ALV Fuels, not IOC COCO anything.
It is listed in IOCL site as a COCO (number 6). My card bill for SP Koil shows Addhi Traders
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 10:26   #568
Senior - BHPian

I filled XP 95 for my bike a couple of weeks ago at Shanthi petroleum near Trident hotel. I always fill Speed 93 at the BP station near it, but on that day Speed was not available so I hopped to the IOC bunk. They had no equivalent of Speed 93 so I filled XP 95.

I felt the engine was smoother and more responsive for the next couple of weeks. Though I did not exactly document it, I felt the FE also was more. I fill the tank to the brim when the fuel gauge touches the red mark in the Splendor and it will run for around 630 km before the next fill. I just take a photo of the speedometer after the fill, since there is no trip meter. This time I found the bike had done 670 km.

This is not an accurate calculation like reserve to reserve. The FE recorded by such method for Speed was 63 kmpl, some months ago. But I can tell off hand that it is definitely higher with XP95. I am thinking of switching to it for both car and bike from next month onwards.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th September 2022 at 16:28. Reason: Typo.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 12:06   #569
BHPian

Quote:
I filled XP 95 for my bike a couple of weeks ago at Shanthi petroleum near Trident hotel. I always fill Speed 93 at the BP station near it... The FE recorded by such method for Speed was 63 kmpl, some months ago. But I can tell off hand that it is definitely higher with XP95. I am thinking of switching to it for both car and bike from next month oonwards.
I have used XP95 from Shanthi station but it was only once while on my Yercaud trip last December. The FE and performance of my car was pretty good after that refill, especially with it being a highway + ghat section trip with a fully loaded car. This outlet isn't too long a diversion from my office commute route. So may be this is a good choice to have.

I didn't know that the BPCL outlet before Shanthi had Speed 93! May I ask how much is the cost per liter for that?

Also, is there a lookup list here on this forum to show which outlets have Speed 93, Speed 97, Power 99, XP100 etc? If not, may be we can build one, mentioning the more reliable or quality ones too, based on individual experience?
Old 18th September 2022, 14:27   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't know that the BPCL outlet before Shanthi had Speed 93! May I ask how much is the cost per liter for that?

Also, is there a lookup list here on this forum to show which outlets have Speed 93, Speed 97, Power 99, XP100 etc? If not, may be we can build one, mentioning the more reliable or quality ones too, based on individual experience?
It is Rs 105.24 a litre. They have normal petrol and diesel, Speed 93, Speed 97, CNG and EV charging. The HP bunk before that has Power 93, I don't know of Power 97. Does it exist?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks