Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Chennai

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2022, 19:22   #571
BHPian

Re: Best Fuel Stations / Petrol Pumps In Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is Rs 105.24 a litre. They have normal petrol and diesel, Speed 93, Speed 97, CNG and EV charging. The HP bunk before that has Power 93, I don't know of Power 97. Does it exist?
Thanks for the info on Speed 93 and the bunk itself.

There is no Power 93 or 97, as far as I know. HPCL has only Power (RON91) and then Power 99.

The HP bunk would be Krishnaraj and co. They are listed as one of the 2 pumps in Chennai that carry Power 99. The other one is in Saidapet (Super service station).
Old 18th September 2022, 19:31   #572
Senior - BHPian

^^ Among the three I would rate the BP as no.1, HP as no.2 and the IOC as no.3 in priority. My BIL always fills at Krishnaraj & Co, and will visit the other two only when he couldn't get fuel there.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 17:57   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

There seems to be a reputation for IOCL these days - one that makes you avoid it. I see that Shanthi bunk near Trident (GST road) seems fine - one diesel tankful with them proved good enough for me. However, I have had a fouled fuel filter due to crappy diesel and our 2 wheelers have had ignition troubles as well - all due to assorted IOCL outlets. We used to prefer IOCL outlets due to our Citi IOCL credit card.

Our 2 wheeler mechanic's first question to us for our scooter and Electra's trouble was - "I hope you aren't filling up at the Indian Oil bunk nearby". We have an IOCL near Bharath University in Selaiyur, for reference, that everyone knows is particularly bad.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 19:23   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
There seems to be a reputation for IOCL these days - one that makes you avoid it.
It is true. What I feel is IOC keeps poor control over its outlets, especially the privately owned ones. The only pump I've been bravely filling is the SP Koil COCO.

I don't have a good opinion on Shanti in the only time I filled there.

If you really want to fill in IOC, go with those with 4.x rating in Google Map Places. Apart from COCO outlets, this is my secondary strategy to list pumps during my trips.

The only PSU with visible rating system is BPCL, I lookout for Pure for Sure Platinum rated pumps.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 17:00   #575
BHPian

After the discussion above related to petrol stations with reliable RON95+ fuels, I called up BPCL's customer care number yesterday, asking them if they had a list of all petrol stations in Chennai that stocked Speed 93 or Speed 97.

A regional in-charge called me on my phone to respond on my query today (I was impressed at their TAT on such a query). Looks like there are only 4 outlets that provide Speed 97, which many might know already. Still I am documenting here.

1. Elite petrol station on Cathedral road, next to Semmozhi poonga
2. Balakrishna Automobiles on St. Mary's road, Alwarpet
3. ASM Abdul Cader & Co. on GST at Alandur (between HPCL and IOCL outlets)

The 4th one is in Kodambakkam but I didn't quite get the name or landmark. Got distracted by the information that came next. Read on.

What is more interesting is this: The representative who called says that the standard petrol that is pumped in BPCL outlets is rated higher than itself is between RON93 and RON95, including Speed (not Speed 97). They even mentioned that other petroleum companies (IOCL & HPCL) have RON91 since they sell XP95, Power 99 etc as separate brands and that we should be fine with normal petrol or Speed if our need is RON95.

I am not sure how to consume this information but since this is coming from a company representative, I am inclined to take this as true. Also, I heard from the person at ASM AC & Co (the bunk on GST) that Speed 93 is also phased out and only Speed or Speed 97 is available.
asmr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 09:14   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Any IOC bunks in Chennai dispensing xtragreen diesel?
This Urapakkam IOC has added Xtragreen among the available fuels. I've personally not gone in and checked, just going by the display (which was recently added within the last 2 weeks). The pump is on Chengalpattu direction about 200 meters from the Urapakkam Honda car showroom, opposite the Croma-Skechers complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
COCO Petrol pump or good petrol pump beyond Chengalpat on the GST road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
There is an IOC COCO after the Palar bridge. Not a fan of IOC, so never tried it.
I had the opportunity to try to this pump couple of times. It is good. Diesel retails at 95.07.

Last edited by narayans80 : 12th October 2022 at 09:23.
Old 16th October 2022, 13:39   #577
BHPian

ASM Abdul Cader & Co. on GST near the Mercedes showroom have added an AdBlue dispenser. This is super convinient for BS6 diesel owners that have cars with an AdBlue tank. The per liter is cost ~ ₹70.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 19:39   #578
Senior - BHPian

^^ The Mercedes showroom doesn't seem to be there any more. A new ABT Maruti showroom is opening there shortly.
Old 14th December 2022, 23:10   #579
BHPian

Guys,

Any BP COCO pumps near by Velachery, Pallikaranai area? Unable to find any. Could you please suggest?

Thanks,
TK
Old 16th January 2023, 22:10   #580
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Are you sure the Indira Nagar one is currently a COCO, I occasionally fill there as this is the closest pump to my house - and the cc bill says ALV Fuels, not IOC COCO anything.
My two wheeler was dangerously low and fuel and I filled here.
The auto printed receipt from the fuel dispenser says "COCO Indira Nagar" and my card statement says "COCO INDRA NAGAR ALV FUCHENNAI"

Also been wanting to ask you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The reliance pump at Singaperumal Koil is my usual place to fuel up. There is an Essar pump on the highway just beyond Trichy that is very good as well.
Is Reliance and Essar better than BP? Near the said Reliance bunk there is also an IOC COCO and a BP COCO, so curious why Reliance is your pick. I'm having some long drives lined up and there is a better chance to find a Reliance bunk than a BP one (Chennai - B'luru round trip), so checking with you.
Old 30th January 2023, 16:24   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueKnight View Post
Guys,
Any BP COCO pumps near by Velachery, Pallikaranai area? Unable to find any. Could you please suggest?
TK
There is no COCO bunk in the area but I find the BP bunk opposite to Jayachandran pretty good. I usually fill up there or at the IOC before the Kaiveli signal when you drive towards Velachery. Only issue with the IOC bunk is that it gets full with school buses (Sunshine, San Academy etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post

Also been wanting to ask you:
Is Reliance and Essar better than BP? Near the said Reliance bunk there is also an IOC COCO and a BP COCO, so curious why Reliance is your pick. I'm having some long drives lined up and there is a better chance to find a Reliance bunk than a BP one (Chennai - B'luru round trip), so checking with you.
I have filled Petrol and Diesel in many bunks. My first choice is Reliance as I find it the smoothest, good pick up and efficient. Having worked in their refinery tank farm many years ago, they had the best technology, quality control over IOC, BPCL or HP refineries. They used to ship out Gasoline to the US way back in 2000 and the same ones used to go IOC/BPCL via the Sikka-Khandla pipeline. Their investment in Instrumentation and its calibration (flow sensors) were state of the art and expensive. Essar's refinery was also pretty modern than most of public sector refineries at that time. With their private distribution and limited bunks, I expect lesser adulteration than deeply embedded public sector entities.

IIRC, shell was supplied by HPCLs refineries earlier but not sure if it is the case anymore.

Not sure if others have observed it but I find BPCL regular petrol gives me best mileage and smoothness at lower revs but it becomes a bit harsh as the revs increases. There is a correlation of mileage with average speed and running time of trips. I reset the trip meter, average fuel efficiency, running time and average speed at every refill. I find BPCL gives me better mileage at lower average speeds than HP or IOC. Hence I prefer BPCL for city driving while I like HP Power for highway drives on my Ignis.
Sridhar K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 09:13   #582
BHPian

Can some recommend the best petrol stations in and around Teynampet/ T.Nagar area where we can get 95 and 98 RON fuel at ease with no quality issues ? I filled up recently at the HP bunk in Teynampet (Anna Salai) and couldn't classify between 91 and 95. I was told I was being filled 95 but I want to be sure.
Old 28th April 2023, 09:48   #583
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
Can some recommend the best petrol stations in and around Teynampet/ T.Nagar area where we can get 95 and 98 RON fuel at ease with no quality issues ? I filled up recently at the HP bunk in Teynampet (Anna Salai) and couldn't classify between 91 and 95. I was told I was being filled 95 but I want to be sure.
Just take a short drive into Alwarpet St Marys Road and buy Speed 97 at Balakrishna Petrol Pump. BPCL.
We (most of La Famiglia such as exists now) have been using this bunk for ages. Always gave us top quality.
Old 28th April 2023, 10:13   #584
BHPian

In Anna Nagar area I have used the following bunks for several years and found them to be reliable:

1) BPCL COCO in Shanthi Colony near Sundaram Medical Foundation

2) HPCL Bunk (Anna Nagar Service Station) in 3rd Avenue, near Olympia Honda Showroom
Old 28th April 2023, 12:56   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Just take a short drive into Alwarpet St Marys Road and buy Speed 97 at Balakrishna Petrol Pump. BPCL.
We (most of La Famiglia such as exists now) have been using this bunk for ages. Always gave us top quality.
T Nagar has Ekayars on Venkatanarayana Road. Always reliable. Or Guindy (just as you come down the bridge, next to that "Polyhose" office building) has the KPN / K Paramasivan & Co BP pump.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed