Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Chennai
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 23:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

For some reason I find that nitrogen pumps are better calibrated or something compared to normal air at fuel pumps. At multiple nitrogen filling stations across Chennai and even compared in Bangalore at cold temps the pressure levels are about the same within 1-2psi. Whereas at regular air pumps (Shell, IOC) there are lot of variations. So for peace of mind I get it checked at a nitrogen place. Other than that I haven't found any difference going to nitrogen.
Old 11th November 2010, 14:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Oh I went in just for air, guess thats why I got charged
be happy that you did not get charge-sheeted. Don't you know you cannot go to petrol bunks to get some air ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
How are you sure that you're actually getting 99% pure Nitrogen?
And not 74% Nitrogen.
That's why we have nitrous.
Old 12th November 2010, 14:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
And not 74% Nitrogen.

I have often noticed that there is a certain % indicated on the display in some machines, I assumed that as the N2 level, in which case I have been filling in air at 5 bucks per tyre, since the value in all machines was never above 80
Old 16th November 2010, 09:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

There is one station after ashok leyland in Guindy, there if you fill fuel for more than 500 then Nitrogen is free, the one near my place costs 40 bucks for 4 tyres.
Old 26th November 2010, 16:27   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
There is one station after ashok leyland in Guindy, there if you fill fuel for more than 500 then Nitrogen is free, the one near my place costs 40 bucks for 4 tyres.
But this is where my credit card details were stolen

Ya i had filled diesel there and used my credit card and after 3 days Bank calls me informs that my card has been duplicated and blocked it.

After a month or so 4 people were caught in this scam and news was published in Hindu.Out of 4 2 were working in fuel pumps

So beware !
Old 23rd December 2010, 19:33   #21
BHPian

Re: Chennai : Nitrogen Filling Stations

Annanagar Autoservice, HP bunk [near BSNL office/Kandasamy Naidu College]
Initial filling of 10 per tyre
Refills @ 5 per tyre

They claim air pressure will be strong enough for 35 days at the least
Old 10th February 2011, 22:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Have any of you noticed over-filling of nitrogen due to wrong calibration? Here is the case in point:

Car 1 - my FIL's brand new i10 Kappa2. We empty the tyres and fill the car up to 33 PSI with nitrogen with the IOC pump in Kottivakkam. The car, which was pretty smooth until then even on bad roads, seemed too bouncy. I check the pressure after about 250 KM of driving in the Malar Hospital pump (ordinary, not Nitrogen) - and the pressure was 37 or so! The car was back to its usual self after correcting the pressure.

Car 2 - My Getz CRDi. This car has been on Nitrogen diet for a long time. Owing to its low profile tires on 15" rims, the ride was always bad. Or so I thought. I usually fill 30 PSI of Nitrogen at the IOC pump in Adyar (near Aavin circle / ICICI bank) - I checked today at the same Malar Hospital pump, and surprise - it was 33 PSI. Brought it back down to 30, and the car feels better.

I have always thought that Nitrogen filling will be better calibrated, but looks not - I will check the pressure again at a Shell to see if it is close to 30, or if the Malar pump is at fault. But gut feel / vehicle's behavior says the Malar pump is more right than wrong.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Shanti petrol bunk near Airport charges 5 per tyre. And the BP bunk just before Shanti also charges 5 per tyre.

Any bunks that offer free Nitrogen for Filling fuel near tambaram??

I know there is one BP near kelambakkam that does free Nitrogen fill for fuel refill.
Old 18th February 2011, 14:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
And not 74% Nitrogen.
Hi Nitrous

There are no sure shot ways but then you need to be aware of the vendor from whom you are availing service
normally the nitrogen gas must be atleast 93% pure and not 99% pure. Second what we fill is dry nitrogen , Third you cannot just top up the ordinary air in the tyre you need to completely deflate and fill up with N2 gas.

Most of the auth service mechs of companies have this facility and this is the most preferred way of filling up. you may top up at other outlets.

Old 7th March 2011, 15:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Shanti bunk:-

I went their to fill nitrogen. The only thing the guy did was to remove nitrogen from 34-32.

He asked for 40 rupees. I simply refused and asked him to bring a bill for the same. Told him i was going to go to consumer court for over charging customers.

He immediately asked,"please give me something as service charge, "at least". Tipped him 10 bucks.

I am guessing there is nothing wrong to ask these folks for a bill if they are ready to charge 40 rupees for 4 tyres fill up.
Old 9th March 2011, 13:11   #26
BHPian

Newly opened Ganesh Tyres (opposite to the BP petrol bunk) on Velachery Road in Gowrivakkam offers nitrogen filling apart from selling tyres, wheel alignment and balancing.
Old 17th March 2011, 08:38   #27
BHPian

B.K.Lal Tyre shop opposite Satyam parking in Royapettah has everything related to tyres/rims + N2 filling. (don't know about charges though). I exchanged my alloys + tyres here - so got free N2. (Fully recommended! - for pics, check my cruze thread)
Old 7th July 2011, 10:41   #28
BHPian

I run tubeless Michelin tyre on factory rims, so always had the problems of some air pressure changes every week.
and make it a point to check air pressure every time i fill gas in the beginning of the week.
I switched over to Nitrous since the bunk i regularly fill got the machine.

HP pump near chennai trade center, opposite MIOT hospitals Chennai.

They charged my Rs 40 for complete gassing. Only after they started filling i noticed and was told that the new machine had already got spoiled in the rain.

So the autostop at the pressure set does not work. The display of the percentage of nitrous does not work.
end of it i got ripped for the money and i dont know whether i run on Nitrous or normal air and whether its fully filled.

Its due for refill today, hope iam put to rest.

Newer things come into the market more confusion added. Now i feel i am better of this just air.

Is it okay if i switch to top ups with regular air? or should Icompletely deflate and refill with air?
Old 7th July 2011, 14:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Is it okay if i switch to top ups with regular air? or should Icompletely deflate and refill with air?
Air itself contains around 73% of nitrogen. So topping nitrogen with air wont do any damage. Only problem is that your are adding in air contaminants to pure nitrogen (around 90%) hence the purpose of filling with nitrogen will be lost (once in a month top-up and smooth running tyres etc). Asusual, once you top up regular air you will have to check ur tyres every week.
Old 17th July 2011, 12:05   #30
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Newly opened Ganesh Tyres (opposite to the BP petrol bunk) on Velachery Road in Gowrivakkam offers nitrogen filling apart from selling tyres, wheel alignment and balancing.
My friend did an alignment & balancing with this guy at Gowrivakkam. He was charged higher than the usual rates...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks