Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:19   #1

Suggest a Light weight delivery van to carry bulk load

I am planning to buy a delivery van eg: (Force Traveler ). I need to carry a total weight of 1500 kgs, its mostly bulk load. This vehicle is for distribution of my product to shopkeepers. I am looking for a fuel efficient and low maintenance vehicle. I request you to suggest a vehicle that will suit my purpose.Thank you.
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggest a Light weight delivery van to carry bulk load

Omni Cargo CNG/LPG? It's the cheapest and the CNG/LPG variants should help keep running costs low. You may even find a used one if you are lucky.

The small and nimble Omni will help you negotiate tight turns in city traffic much better.
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

@honeybee

His payload requirement is 1500Kgs. The Omni or the Eeco wont be able to carry that sort of load at all.

@joe3tom

With the kind of weight that you are looking at you would have to look at something from among the following options

1. Mahindra Maxx Pickup /Bolero Pickup
2. Mahindra Genio
3. Tata 207DI Ex

But all of these have payloads around the 1000-1200kgs. Of course you may also have to look at the amount of space that would be required by you and not just the weight. All of these have power steering versions, so getting around the city should not be an issue. The Bolero/Maxx use Mahindra trusted 2.5L M2DI engine and the Tata uses the tried tested and abused Tata 497engine. So these will give you very good mileage and very low maintainance costs too. The Genio's engine, though technologically more advanced, has only as of now been used with the Xylo. There have been a few reports of the Xylo engine having certain problems, and also a technologically more advanced engine repairs and parts may be costlier. But if you are going to drive it yourself, you would like to be in the Genio, rather than any of the others.Among the above three though, if you are looking to seriously overload it, close to 2tons, I think the Tata would be a better option. Its larger engine gives you more torque at very low rpms. But your quoted value of 1.5tons should be handled by all easily.

Another option you may want to look at, is to buy 2 Tata Ace/Mahindra Maxximos. Each having a 800-1000kg payload, you can split the load and have them deliver to different areas. Here you will have to do some calculation, as to whether the overall cost savings and the extra cost involved in buying 2 vehicles and other factors, which option is better for you.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:06   #4

Thanks Honeybee and Julupani for your replies. Though the load that I need to carry is only 1500 kgs the volume is big. Thats why I gave an example of Force Traveler. Can you suggest something from the category of Force traveler long chassis. Some of the vehicles that i have shortlisted are,

1.Force Traveller- Long Chassis
2.Eicher - 10.50 - Four wheel type.
3.Mahindra Loadking - Four wheel type

Can you tell me which is the best vehicle in this category or are there any other vehicles that i should from.

Thanks

Joe3tom.
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:45   #5
BHPian

You can also have a look at the Winger 3200mm wheelbase delivery van which is a high roof version and provides better comfort and manoeuvrability in urban areas as the length is around 5 m and the high roof will give you enough cargo space for stacked boxes.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

@SAE40

I think the Winger again wont suit his purposes, as his load volume is very high.

@joe3tom

Why not look at the hot favourite, the Tata LPT407 of SFC407??

With the Force Travellor, do you mean the delivery van or the Truck?? Even the Loadking has quite a few variants.

Among the above, you wont have much problem with the Eicher or the Mahindra, but it would be advisable to stay away from Force Motors.

Also, another factor that you may or may not have considered. If you will register in Chennai, you will need to buy a BSIV model. Make sure that these are available in BSIV versions
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 15:24   #7
BHPian

A 407 with an add-on covered body is the best bet anyday as it is a rugged and proven configuration. I'd thought that there was also a requirement of minimal aesthetics and 'ready to use' condition straight out of the showroom as a covered body takes time to build. Just for info, the 407 is now available with a common rail engine from Tatas, probably a BS IV version (not sure though).
Old 9th May 2011, 16:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

True, the BSIV Commonrail Tata 497 engine is being rolled out in various models in the next few months. A common rail version of the Tata 497 in its 3L guise already existed having powered the Safari for some time. Now the common rail system has been used in its larger 3.8L guise.

Though after my previous post, I remember, having found out that among the Eicher the Loadstar and the 407, the 407 seems to have the smallest of load body length. So if volume is of more importance than the weight, which I think is Joe's case the Mahindra Loadstar would the best option.
Old 17th May 2011, 14:31   #9
BHPian

i see TATA ACEs and the Ape Truk being regularly overloaded to 2.5 to 3 Tonnes... I have infact received at my shop a delivery of a 2.3 Ton consignment in one ACE.

If i may can i ask what kind of goods are you transporting. Kinda curious cause i am looking at an SCV purchase as well in the next 2 months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks