Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 01:28   #31
A M
BHPian

Re: Volvo Buses Originating from Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Team,
We are planning for a trip to Amritsar from Delhi over the weekend. Plan is to either go by train or book a bus. Since it is such a short notice, there are no train tickets available. The second option remaining is Bus.
Don't get a punbus. They don't run Volvos but only the locally built HVAC buses.
The buses are in poor condition. The seats are not comfy for a long-haul. The AC vents are broken, you won't be able to control or direct the airflow away from you as all there is, is a big hole blowing the coldest of air right on your head. God save if you've a scarce crop on your head.
The staff is illiterate about the AC control. They will switch the temp to minimum and you will be left shivering the whole journey. Ask them to raise the temp a bit, and they will tell you

"Je AC thanda ni karda ta passenger complaint kar dende ne ki AC ni chalaunde"

(Translation-- If the AC doesn't chill, the passengers complain to the authorities that we didn't switch on the AC.)
Damn!! So are you punishing us to choose your services!!

Personal experience, so I advise you to steer clear of Punbus.
On the other hand, Haryana Roadways has a fleet of excellent Volvos. But they run Delhi-Chandigarh only.
But you do get Chandigarh-Amritsar services in Volvos, Isuzus and MB buses by private operators.
But this will require you to switch buses at Chd, will have to travel to ISBT-43 from ISBT-17 and also the route will be longer.

Not sure but I reckon, Indocanadian run their buses from IGI only.

Sorry to confuse you further!!
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 23:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well friends, we did finally make the trip. Booked the tickets on Makemytrip for Ashiana travels Volvo bus departing at 1030 PM. I dont know what to term the experience as. The bus in itself was OK and we reached also before time. However, the booking process needs a lot of improvement. If one searches for buses between delhi and amritsar on MMT or any other portal, we can see a lot of buses. In fact, these are not separate buses. One books tickets on any of the bus, and finally reaches on the same bus.

For eg., in our case we booked Ashiana travels. But the bus was not Ashiana travels. It was RS Yadavs. Now people who have booked on RS Yadav, Ashiana, Hari, XYZ, ABC travels all end up on the same bus and what we have is absolute mayhem for the seat numbers. One of our seat got mixed up with a guy who had booked tickets through red bus dot in with some other travels. Same seat number and we both ended up on the same bus. There were 5 other similar cases in the bus. However matter was solved amicably but one doesn't expect to be put through such hassles. Moreover even the ticket prices differ. Online booking cost 850 Rs per ticket, but there were people who had purchased same ticket for Rs 600 from counter

All in All I feel the whole sector needs a lot of improvement. Trains are no doubt the best mode, specially if you are with family.
Old 4th December 2012, 17:12   #33
BHPian

Overall I also feel that Road transport is a neglected area up in the North.

Only once I have had a chance of opting a bus service from Delhi To Manali and back. The trip was by HPTDC Volvo to and fro. This trip was done some 6 years ago.
Overall it was a decent experience (Largely due to the food at Dhaba and scenery) but the crew behaved very indifferently.

But here I would like to elaborate on the prompt service provided by HPTDC booking guy.

At that time, online booking facility was not available. So I went to a Authorized HPTDC booking agent in Pune.
He booked my onward journey ticket but refrained from booking the return journey. He gave me a Phone no. of HPTDC Manali, instead. When I called at the said office, I was directed to make payment by Demand draft and wait for their call.

I had no choice but to pay as I didn't want to try the privately operated buses. So I paid and waited.
After almost a week later, I got a call from the Manali booking office confirming the receipt of the payment.
He inquired about my preferred seating position and was happy to book the same for me.
he sent a confirmation mail to me, which was to be regarded as an official ticket.
This to me was a very assuring experience, when instant online booking was not possible.

And getting a call back from any government organisation is next to experience godliness in this era IMHO.
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 23:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am planning to go to vaishno devi, on 28th. As train tickets are full, I have to take Volvo, till katra.

But, There are alot of options and alot of operators, Even rates vary quite a bit, from 1000-1500. I am very confused here.

Can anyone help me on this please.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:20   #35

There are some good services available by prominent players like RST and Swagatham Holidays for Katra.
Swagatham Holidays is a reputed name and is reliable going by the market response. You can book through their website or through the tele booking numbers provided there.
Manatdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 02:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatdeep View Post
There are some good services available by prominent players like RST and Swagatham Holidays for Katra.
Swagatham Holidays is a reputed name and is reliable going by the market response. You can book through their website or through the tele booking numbers provided there.
Thanks for the prompt reply, I have decided to go ahead with PUNBUS volvo, from Delhi and on the way back, I will go ahead with swagatham.

Cheers!
Old 11th January 2013, 17:15   #37
BHPian

Best volvo networks from del are
1) del-jaipur - RTDC
2) del-shimla - HPTDC

there is no reason to take any other mode of transportation for these areas - these leave on time and are nice.

Del- Manali is a private volvo hell hole - as in the buses run, and they are volvos - but they are badly maintained, the drivers talk on the phone through the ghat roads, seat numbers when booked online are completely useless. But some of them come with seats with extendable supports - quite comfy.

Sectors which are dying for more volvos - Delhi Nainital - as far as I know, they don't exist - only fake volvos run.
Old 26th January 2013, 22:42   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I have travelled in HP tourism buses from Shimla to Delhi.
I was extremely happy with the travel.Time was punctual while departing and at arriving.A water bottle and a shall was given and the ride was also extremely good.The only thing which was surprising me was how the driver could drive the 12M long bus in the ghats. But he made it with ease.
I have traveled in the Airawat service (B7R Volvo) of the Karnataka KSRTC. I too was amazed the way the driver maneuvered the Volvo Bus through dimbam Ghats, that too braving elephants that were on the way.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:11   #39
BHPian

Hi!

I am planning Delhi - Manali - Delhi in May 2013 and whilst the consensus seems to point to HPTDC's Volvo service, I was quite taken up by Swagatam buses on that sector.

Some posts/pictures point to Sleeperettes type seating (with lower leg supports) and their website confirms a higher fare for personalized LCD screens. Greatly appreciate if I can get some feedback from anybody who has used this bus (either this or another route).

Further more, how is their reputation, re: availability of the bus, do they pull out the bus and replace with another lower category service frequently??
Old 3rd February 2013, 15:24   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Hi!

I am planning Delhi - Manali - Delhi in May 2013 and whilst the consensus seems to point to HPTDC's Volvo service, I was quite taken up by Swagatam buses on that sector.

Some posts/pictures point to Sleeperettes type seating (with lower leg supports) and their website confirms a higher fare for personalized LCD screens. Greatly appreciate if I can get some feedback from anybody who has used this bus (either this or another route).

Further more, how is their reputation, re: availability of the bus, do they pull out the bus and replace with another lower category service frequently??
I have been by swagatam once- they charged 1100 rs for a volvo with extendable supports - there were no lcds then. decent bus, but the drivers spoke on the phone throughout - and that is avoidable. They wont bother with redbus.in seat designations - so be prepared for that.
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 15:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I have been by swagatam once- they charged 1100 rs for a volvo with extendable supports - there were no lcds then. decent bus, but the drivers spoke on the phone throughout - and that is avoidable. They wont bother with redbus.in seat designations - so be prepared for that.
Thanks. Guess I should opt for HPTDC and forget swagatam.
Old 3rd February 2013, 16:05   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Thanks. Guess I should opt for HPTDC and forget swagatam.
Oh! definitely - I thought you didn't have a choice. I don't know if you can book HPTDC online, but if you can't then try calling the HPTDC booking office closest to you, or if you know anyone in delhi, tell them to go to Mandi House - the HP bhawan is right there and they do the booking for sure.
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 16:11   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Oh! definitely - I thought you didn't have a choice. I don't know if you can book HPTDC online, but if you can't then try calling the HPTDC booking office closest to you, or if you know anyone in delhi, tell them to go to Mandi House - the HP bhawan is right there and they do the booking for sure.
Thanks once again. HPTDC can be booked online. Registration done, just that they haven't opened up the booking for MAY 2013, said it will start from March onwards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks