Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 23:32   #1
BHPian

An Indian Unimog

I have seen several Unimogs on my trips to Austria, Germany and other European countries. The silent behemoth offroader is always seen doing its duty diligently and without complaint. A lot of us will agree that this is the best offroader ever and really has no match.

I had the pleasure of meeting up with one right here in our country, serving the nation for over 30 years and plowing snow somewhere in the Himalayas. Recently, I was driving by this road and passed by a very familiar shape which caught my eye. Behold, standing by the roadside was a Unimog. I stopped and got closer to the machine and was looking under and into the cab to have a closer look when a guard waived me off and was about to ask me to leave. I was going to oblige when another figure appeared and asked me if I wanted a closer look. He clearly spotted an enthusiast in curious me. Soon the key appeared and he asked me if I wanted to get into the cab and get a feel. I was delighted and said, of course.

Thereafter I spent half an hour with the beast and with the chaps who run the operations and they mentioned that the Unimog had been in service for at least 25 years and could be more than 30 even.

Just before I was about to leave, I asked if I could take some pictures of the beast. First I was refused but when they saw may saw my sad face they let me take a few. The conditions set were that I will not disclose the location and all markings and numbers will be removed before I show the pictures to anyone. I happily agreed and now it is a pleasure to share the pictures with you fine folks.
Attached Thumbnails
An Indian Unimog-1.jpg  

An Indian Unimog-2.jpg  

An Indian Unimog-3.jpg  

An Indian Unimog-4.jpg  

An Indian Unimog-5.jpg  

An Indian Unimog-6.jpg  

An Indian Unimog-7.jpg  

An Indian Unimog-8.jpg  

zipperone is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 07:28   #2
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: An Indian Unimog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
I had the pleasure of meeting up with one right here in our country, serving the nation for over 30 years and plowing snow somewhere in the Himalayas.

Thereafter I spent half an hour with the beast and with the chaps who run the operations and they mentioned that the Unimog had been in service for at least 25 years and could be more than 30 even.
Wow a Unimog. At some point Telco did evaluate bring it to India. Pakistan has quite a few Unimogs

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2209449

Cheers

KPS
Old 19th June 2011, 21:30   #3
BHPian

Awesome Find Zipperone, Iam guessing this unimog belongs to BRO (Border Roads Organisation). Please Confirm this. If so can you just name the place where you spotted this beast.
Old 27th June 2011, 08:12   #4
BHPian

The maximum I can say is that the location is the state of Jammu and Kashmir trying to keep the promise I made to the chaps who run this. I recently spoke to one of the engineers and he has invited me over to spend some time with the beast as it clears snow this winters. Hopefully I can make the trip this year.
Old 2nd July 2011, 13:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
The maximum I can say is that the location is the state of Jammu and Kashmir trying to keep the promise I made to the chaps who run this. I recently spoke to one of the engineers and he has invited me over to spend some time with the beast as it clears snow this winters. Hopefully I can make the trip this year.
Thanks Mate, that ought to do it, fortunately for you and me my father is in the Army(presently posted in BRO itself) and with a little bit of convincing i might be able to get all the details about the machine
Old 3rd July 2011, 22:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

thanks for sharing! this is indeed a great find.

we thought only unimog in India is with UBS sir, that to is inoperational.
Old 4th July 2011, 09:58   #7
BHPian

Just a question, is there a difference between the UNIMOG and MINIMOG? Because i remember quite a few vehicles that were operational up here in Ooty. These 'green coloured' vehicles belonged to the government and were referred to as the MINIMOG. They were petrol- powered, if I remember right. These trucks were part of a fleet of government vehicles that also included VW vans and VW staion wagons. The vehicles were auctioned off in the late ninties if i remember right (was in school then). One sole MINIMOG is still operational though, have seen it running recently near botanical gardens.Can someone from the nilgiris throw some more light on this please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks