Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 16:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics : MAN's new front engined bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Any idea on the cost of a fully loaded 12M coach.
12M bus range starts from as low as 12 lakhs and goes upto 16 lakhs for the fully loaded version ( 230 Hp, Retarders, Both axle air bellows, ABS).
Body would cost another 20 to 25 lakhs depending upon customisation.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

If the high end 12M costs 40 lakhs and the new one from MAN is going to cost 60 lakhs thats almost a 50% premium. I doubt MAN would opt for such a premium unless they have something in the bag which we do not know of.

It would be interesting to see what MAN is going to offer to shake up the market with such a premium, could be a Volvo case study repeating again.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Front end and driver's seat were also pretty ordinary, nothing very special or exciting. The front infact, was all taped up in black so couldnt see the exact shape. But could guess from the visible outline.
Did it look somewhat like the pics attached? The pics are of MAN Lion's Explorer coach. MAN had supplied 100 such coaches to South Africa for the FIFA World Cup 2010. Those buses were 79 seaters on a 13.8M Chassis.

MAN sells such buses in Philippines on their CLA 16.220 chassis. I guess its the same chassis that is being brought into India as well. However, this one gets a 6 Cyl engine, not a 4-cyl one.

(Images from the internet. The second image is the MAN SA Official website). Thanks to my friend for hunting out the images.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics : MAN's new front engined bus-1185869423.jpg  

Pics : MAN's new front engined bus-h_man_busexpl_fifa2010.jpg  

Old 14th June 2011, 18:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Did it look somewhat like the pics attached? The pics are of MAN Lion's Explorer coach. MAN had supplied 100 such coaches to South Africa for the FIFA World Cup 2010. Those buses were 79 seaters on a 13.8M Chassis.

MAN sells such buses in Philippines on their CLA 16.220 chassis. I guess its the same chassis that is being brought into India as well. However, this one gets a 6 Cyl engine, not a 4-cyl one.

(Images from the internet. The second image is the MAN SA Official website). Thanks to my friend for hunting out the images.
I saw this Man bus being tested at Dehu Road near Pune. The rear was exactly similar to the picture that you have posted but the front looked different. Maybe since it was partially masked, I am not able to relate to the pic posted by you. Since it was travelling in the opposite direction, I could not take any snaps of it.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

With the quoted specs its a complete disaster. At 60lakhs you will get a Tata Divo with a RE 285hp engine. Pay 10lakhs more and you move to a 290hp Volvo B7R.

Also, I dont think 4cylinder engine would be good enough for an intercity coach from the vibration point of view.

But anyway, I really dont see why such a bus, even an FBV, should cost anything more than 40-50lakhs.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

I strongly doubt the price tag of 60lks.
They are very well aware of the price sensitive Indian market. So it will be squarely targeted aganist 12M and may be some 10% premium can be allowed, but still its a question only.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Also, I dont think 4cylinder engine would be good enough for an intercity coach from the vibration point of view.
Reasons are less that a 4 cylinder engine vibrates more than a 6 cylinder.
Normally odd number of cylinder will vibrate more than even.
Old 14th June 2011, 22:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Reasons are less that a 4 cylinder engine vibrates more than a 6 cylinder.
Normally odd number of cylinder will vibrate more than even.
Actually, its the other way round. A 6cylinder, or its multiples are the most balanced Inline IC engines. A 4cylinder is worse than a 6-cylinder, but better than a 3cylinder. Again here I am talking only of am Inline engine and not V-engines.

Many buses in Europe even use a V-6 engine, for 2 reasons, they take up less space, while being more balanced and thus vibrates less.

And that is exactly the reason, why I said, its not good enough. I didnt mean it wont be powerful enough.
Old 15th June 2011, 13:27   #39
BHPian

I really doubt the 220 BHP 4 cylinder story as the existing MAN 6 cyl 6.7 liter engine is available in a 220 HP power node also. That being the case why should they get an all new engine to power the bus when the prevailing norm for the segment is 6 liters at present?
Old 15th June 2011, 15:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The grille was pretty much like the first picture that you have posted. Except it was heavily taped up perhaps to avoid recognition.
Although it could be attributed to a number of factors, the driver wasnt very keen on the kind of enthusiastic overtaking done by his counterparts in a B7R. Those guys almost make their buses look like nimble hatchbacks.
Old 16th June 2011, 01:06   #41

I would like to second Alphakilo here ; It is not sure whether this is MAN or not

The reason being, MAN a premium CV maker which would not like to compete with the likes of TATA/AL as Volvo/Merc are its real rivals the world over

If we do consider it a MAN, lets not forget MAN's Force association, it could well be a Force derived platform and MAN engines

The exterior looks shady and a lot more is desired from a german manufacturer
Old 16th June 2011, 10:22   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Neat catch, the MAN bus. I think if they keep air-suspension, and air-conditioning as standard then they have hit the bulls eye. A lot of passengers I have spoken to are apprehensive about the heat that comes out from a rear engined bus, maybe the heat story is just a figment of the imagination, but it still is something that manufacturers have to contend with
It is true. I have had at least a few trips (hastily planned, hence had no choice of seats) in the last seats where I have suffered considerably due to the heat emanating from the RE. Volvo buses. It was terrible. Some of the heat could be body heat. It can be cramped in the last bench.
I did a trip in a sleeper Volvo to Goa. It can be uncomfortable even horizontally.
Old 16th June 2011, 12:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by runaldahiwade View Post
I would like to second Alphakilo here ; It is not sure whether this is MAN or not
It was 100% MAN dude. The badging was all over. (Not visible in the pics).
Old 21st July 2011, 06:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

At last, here is the front view of the Man Intercity Bus that has been eluding us for so long. I saw this bus zipping past in the opposite direction at Talegaon near Pune. The front end, with its partial camouflage looked unique but is no match for the classy looks of the Volvos. The profile and rear looked similar to most other buses in India but I have to say that the fit and finish (even for this pre-production test model) looked great.

As already discussed, if MAN launches this fully-built-vehicle with a 250-odd HP engine, AC, ABS, Disc Brakes and yet all, it has a fair chance of giving tough competition to the AL 12M Chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics : MAN's new front engined bus-man-intercity-bus-1.jpg  

arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 22:47   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by runaldahiwade View Post
The reason being, MAN a premium CV maker which would not like to compete with the likes of TATA/AL as Volvo/Merc are its real rivals the world over

If we do consider it a MAN, lets not forget MAN's Force association, it could well be a Force derived platform and MAN engines

The exterior looks shady and a lot more is desired from a german manufacturer
Tata / AL is not inferior to any of these foreign companies. There is nothing like a premium CV maker. Any CV maker would offer products that catters to the demands of the market it is targetting. The MAN trucks sold in India is completely made in India by MAN-Force Motors. The Volvo & Benz buses (body) are completey built in India. In the near future we will see Volvo bringing some other brands under it (like UD Trucks etc) to address the mass market in India. No more any international CV maker comming to India can ignore the mass market potential which is dominated by TML & AL. The "Bharat Benz" is an example...which again is a german manufacturer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks