Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2007, 09:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

^^Exactly the point. The volvo buses should only be driven by folks who've done the safety training course from volvo. If every tom, dick and harry drives a volvo, these buses will become a weapon of mass murder on the streets. Also these should have speed limiters so that they can't exceed 80km/hr.

Manufacturer specified top speeds are always conservative and are estimated with the vehicle fully laden. These buses do 120km/hr quite easily, as many pointed out, redlining in 6th gear.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 20th June 2007 at 09:51.
Old 20th June 2007, 10:21   #47
BHPian

volvo as a policy hands over new B7R buses only when it is going to be driven by a volvo trained driver , but the company cannot take care of what happens after that, as in, say the bus is sold to someone else after 2-3 yrs, which is the main problem. Indian drivers arent used to such powerful fast silent (the engine being at the rear) buses and w/o proper trainin, they cant always handle what the B7R can deliver..
Old 20th June 2007, 10:34   #48
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I never found any difference, whether the Volvo is driven by a ST operator or a private operator. Give a man a powerful vehicle, he will drive it fast, therefore, unlesss speed curbs are introduced, you can't regulate the Volvos. Every bus and truck you see on the road is travelling almost at its top speed of 80 kmph, and so is the Volvo. I don't feel safe when a Volvo is on the road, maybe the passengers feel so.
I do the Mumbai-Pune expressway 40-50 times a year.
My Baleno is usually faster, quicker and more manoeuvrable than the fastest driven Volvo.

Nevertheless, on the expressway, I give the Volvo, wide berth too. You never know, a young irresponsible monkey may be at the wheel.
And have found the banged up private Volvos being driven more rashly (lane changes) than the State run Volvos with the uniformed drivers.

As far as speeds are concerned,
big heavy imported saloons and Octavias routinely drive over 140 km/h.
OHCs, Balenos, Scorpios and Innovas go between 110-130 km/h.
The little tall-boy hatches Santros and Indicas, Swifts, Qualises and Taveras are often found at 90-100 km/h.

I'm sure these cars are capable of faster, but these are the speeds that daily drivers drive, keeping safety and FE in mind.
Old 20th June 2007, 14:18   #49
BHPian

I was pushed off the road by many a times on Vijayawada-Hyderabad route while I was travelling in my WagonR by thease Volvos. They do not even care what the fate of the vehicles that were pushed off the road. Most of the times I hit bumps when pushed off the road and Once I almost hit a motorcyclist side to me. These drivers are mad,****ing people.

Now what I do is, when I see a Volvo coming opposite and crossing another vehicle, I see a safe areas off the road and be ready to be pushed.
Old 20th June 2007, 17:34   #50
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
I was pushed off the road by many a times on Vijayawada-Hyderabad route while I was travelling in my WagonR by thease Volvos. They do not even care what the fate of the vehicles that were pushed off the road. Most of the times I hit bumps when pushed off the road and Once I almost hit a motorcyclist side to me. These drivers are mad,****ing people.

Now what I do is, when I see a Volvo coming opposite and crossing another vehicle, I see a safe areas off the road and be ready to be pushed.
Is your Vijayawada-Hyderabad route, an undivided highway where an oncoming vehicle can hit you?

Or is it a two-lane divided carriageway or four-lane divided carriageway?

The Mumbai-Pune Expressway is a six-lane divided carriageway, with a deep trench dividing the two directions. Even if a fullsize 12-ton truck attempts a "U" turn, the trench is deep enough to topple the truck onto its side, saving the oncoming traffic. So there is no question of an oncoming vehicle looming in your lane and forcing you off on the soft shoulder.

However the Mumbai-Nashik highway on which I was last week, is a two-lane undivided highway in many places on a raised bed that tapers down to the fields, even to deep crevasses in the Igatpuri ghat section.

An oncoming truck is overtaking another oncoming truck, leaves you no room to get pushed off the highway. That can evoke pretty hair-raising anxiety, plus sometimes accidents.
Old 20th June 2007, 20:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

What interest's me most is how these guys are able to bypass that speed limiter from the company[that too volvo],limited to 103 kmph. Having extensively traveled by volvo's I can vouch for the fact that the buses go much faster than 103kmph.

Do they have pete's for volvo's too.
Old 20th June 2007, 21:07   #52
BANNED

I have seen Volvo buses going at 130+ kmph - between Avinashipalayam and Walayar (Salem - Trichur NH) and then on the four lane divided highway beyond Salem. These buses are usually those doing Bangalore - <some place in Kerala> run.
Old 20th June 2007, 22:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

I have had to speed up beyond 120 kmph to overtake Volvos
Old 20th June 2007, 23:30   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Is your Vijayawada-Hyderabad route, an undivided highway where an oncoming vehicle can hit you?

Or is it a two-lane divided carriageway or four-lane divided carriageway?

The Mumbai-Pune Expressway is a six-lane divided carriageway, with a deep trench dividing the two directions. Even if a fullsize 12-ton truck attempts a "U" turn, the trench is deep enough to topple the truck onto its side, saving the oncoming traffic. So there is no question of an oncoming vehicle looming in your lane and forcing you off on the soft shoulder.

However the Mumbai-Nashik highway on which I was last week, is a two-lane undivided highway in many places on a raised bed that tapers down to the fields, even to deep crevasses in the Igatpuri ghat section.

An oncoming truck is overtaking another oncoming truck, leaves you no room to get pushed off the highway. That can evoke pretty hair-raising anxiety, plus sometimes accidents.
The Hyderabad-Viajayawada is a badly maintained undivided highway, the most busyiest highway in Andhra Pradesh. I am puzzled with their attitude, how can they endanger the lives of others, putting the passengers and others life at risk.

I do not have any problem Volvo's going around 120's, but on two-lane undivided highways, they push off other vehicles while overtaking vehicles, putting their lives at risk.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 20th June 2007 at 23:32.
Old 21st June 2007, 09:21   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I have seen Volvo buses going at 130+ kmph - between Avinashipalayam and Walayar (Salem - Trichur NH) and then on the four lane divided highway beyond Salem. These buses are usually those doing Bangalore - <some place in Kerala> run.

i doubt this. 130+? even the speedo is marked till 120 only if im not wrong..
Old 21st June 2007, 09:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
What interest's me most is how these guys are able to bypass that speed limiter from the company[that too volvo],limited to 103 kmph. Having extensively traveled by volvo's I can vouch for the fact that the buses go much faster than 103kmph.

Do they have pete's for volvo's too.
Sppedo error dude.. Itz required by law that a speedometer has to show a lilttle more higher speed than what he actually does..

So that cops cannot catch you and tell on my speedo it was 50kmph.. Fine the manufacturer... for going 60kmph.

And volvo speedos are marked only till 120.
Old 21st June 2007, 09:38   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
i doubt this. 130+? even the speedo is marked till 120 only if im not wrong..
You are not wrong. When the speedo is marked for just 120, I wonder how people see a 130 on the speedo. Speedo error cannot display "130" by itself
Old 21st June 2007, 13:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

while returning from kerala, we saw this KSRTC (kerala state) Volvo in the middle of the road, all glass was shattered, it appeared as though the driver hit something and he smashed through the window. because the glass had a big hole in teh drivers area. scary!
Old 21st June 2007, 14:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Volvo speedo tells max speed 120kmph....But it can easily do close to that speed with the tacho not even near redline...It has excellent torque....

Thats the reason sometimes we need to speed up to 125-130kmph to overtake these guys....

Abhi
Old 21st June 2007, 15:51   #60
BANNED

Speedo has only 120 mark but seen many of them kicking other cars doing above120+ in Mumbai Pune Highway.May be their speedos are designed to show -30KMPH speed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks