MERCEDES BENZ Multi-Axle 2 1.83%
Cerita 1 0.92%
MAN Front-engined Bus 1 0.92%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 22:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Most profitable Long-distance Cruiser

The 4X2 B7R definitely gives close to 3 KPL if driven properly.I dont think the 9400 6X2 will have a fuel consumption figure of 1.5KPL! It definitely has to be more than 2 KPL

@ 2KPL,fuel consumption would be around 22.5 Rs per km (@45 rs per liter diesel).I am sure its more than 2 kpl.

Maybe someone like Gold Class can clarify on this
Old 22nd September 2011, 07:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
The 4X2 B7R definitely gives close to 3 KPL if driven properly.I dont think the 9400 6X2 will have a fuel consumption figure of 1.5KPL! It definitely has to be more than 2 KPL

@ 2KPL,fuel consumption would be around 22.5 Rs per km (@45 rs per liter diesel).I am sure its more than 2 kpl.

Maybe someone like Gold Class can clarify on this
The point I was trying to make was that the B9R is driven most of the time at its limits.

Its definitely capable of giving 3 KMPL is driven in the right manner, but the Operators have to drive it at top speed to cover the maximum distance in the shortest possible time. If they drive it sedately, then it hits their 'profitablilty' hence mileage is sacrificed at the altar of performance
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 4X2 B7R definitely gives close to 3 KPL if driven properly.I dont think the 9400 6X2 will have a fuel consumption figure of 1.5KPL! It definitely has to be more than 2 KPL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The point I was trying to make was that the B9R is driven most of the time at its limits.
Its definitely capable of giving 3 KMPL is driven in the right manner,..
The following are the derived kmpl after speaking to many drivers
B7R - 2.8-2.9
B9R-2.5-2.7
MB MAV - 2.6-2.8
12M - 3.8-4 (slightly lesser for 225 hp version)
LPO 1618 -3.6-3.8

These are under normal driving conditions - (read as) using it to the limits
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its definitely capable of giving 3 KMPL is driven in the right manner, but the Operators have to drive it at top speed to cover the maximum distance in the shortest possible time.
100-120 kn/hr should not be a problem for Volvo. It is driven continuously at higher speeds in other countries. Of course road conditions are also better in those countries.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:31   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Its definitely capable of giving 3 KMPL is driven in the right manner, but the Operators have to drive it at top speed to cover the maximum distance in the shortest possible time.
+1 to that Arun.

In fact, it is not only about speed but also the payloads that they are loaded with. Most bus operators are courier/parcel operators too and they load the buses to the brim to make more money out them.

This coupled with lack lustre maintenance, no adherence to service schedules, spurious spares and adulterated fuel only add to the woes.

Heck, I ve seen B9Rs riding on radials on one axle with cross plies on the other.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Normal driving for buses means somewhere around 80-100kph.KSRTC rates its drivers based on fuel consumption figures for every trip.I have seen drivers on the Bang-Mang route stick to 80 kph and complaining about being forced to achieve high FE figures.

2KPL is on the lower side.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Nice to see some updates on Divo.
Are there any other operator who have got Divo's.
Earlier Hispano's are with SRS, Neeta, APSRTC (though no repeat order from all of them)
The reason is that the 6 BT 230 HP version is discontinued and the new Divo coaches are with 285 HP ISBe. The 285 coaches i believe, are not launched fully (pan india) and it might take some time to know, how exactly the market is reacting to these.

From the limited info i got from SRE, they are happy as the bus is fetching them a premium on ticket rates with lower operating costs and top speeds similar to Volvo. Add to it, the fact that the purchase price of the bus is a little over half that of a B7R

Volvo's forte is its fairly spaced out service intervals which keep the vehicles on the road for most part of the year and slower deterioration if not met with accidents. Tata and ALL needs to match that if they have to take the fight to the Volvos and MBs.
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

I have not selected any bus as I don't know which makes sense as a buyer. I am a Leyland fan but won't vote for them. I don't think they have made any progress from the time Volvo introduced their buses in India. A Leyland is trash next to a Volvo. It has been over 10 years Volvo Buses and Trucks entered India. Nobody has even come close to the overall engineering and capabilities of a Volvo bus. Competition is supposed to bring around a better product. In India, nobody cares.

I am going off topic and this is important. There is only one bus that ranks on top for safety. That is Volvo. There is no bus in our market with the performance, efficiency, handling, braking, passenger and driver comfort of a Volvo bus.
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
+1 to that Arun.

In fact, it is not only about speed but also the payloads that they are loaded with. Most bus operators are courier/parcel operators too and they load the buses to the brim to make more money out them.
They max load they do is upto 3T - Not all of them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Heck, I ve seen B9Rs riding on radials on one axle with cross plies on the other.
Plz share with us some photos.
AFAIK, there is no cross plz tyres for the Volvo's 22.5" wheel rims in India!
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:57   #25
BANNED

Quote:
They max load they do is upto 3T - Not all of them though.
AFAIK, there is no cross plz tyres for the Volvo's 22.5" wheel rims in India!
I cannot comment on the exact tonnage but what I can tell you is that they stuff the bay to the brim with everything they can. Also, more often than not, the cargo consists of hardware, perishable food items, parcels, electrical goods and the kind which have a high density and weight.

I will soon post some pics of the cross plies.
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
..... A B9R was pressed into service by VRL in Bellary-Bangalore route which was apparently pulled back due to the bad condition of the roads (Of course one wouldn't want to mess with a one crore bus). This route is now serviced by the 280 HP Divo coaches of SRE ....
I think SRE travels has withdrawn Divo's service in Blore- Bellary route.
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think SRE travels has withdrawn Divo's service in Blore- Bellary route.
IIRC, SRE never ran Hispanos on the B'Lore-Bellary route! The Hispanos (Divo) was always on the Bellary-Mumbai route. That route is still alive.
Old 23rd September 2011, 00:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
IIRC, SRE never ran Hispanos on the B'Lore-Bellary route! The Hispanos (Divo) was always on the Bellary-Mumbai route. That route is still alive.
Agree..... it was a typo. The route is Bellary - Mumbai. What made me write Bellary- Bangalore is the fact that the road (mining belt) between Bellary and Bangalore was what broke the back of the VRL B9R volvos as i'd heard so it just got registered in mind. Anyways ... i couldn't find any other operator or bus in Bellary - Mumbai route after checking redbus.
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:35   #29

Quote:
Normal driving for buses means somewhere around 80-100kph.KSRTC rates its drivers based on fuel consumption figures for every trip.I have seen drivers on the Bang-Mang route stick to 80 kph and complaining about being forced to achieve high FE figures.

2KPL is on the lower side.
Correct, KSRTC drivers are also resorting to switching off the AC frequently to increase the mileage.
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:54   #30
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Most profitable Long-distance Cruiser (Bus)

Apart from the fuel costs, maintenance and driver/cleaner salaries, the major outflow is the government taxes.

Road Tax, Permit, FC costs form a major liability. In TN, there is a new concept introduced by the Govt which is called Seat Tax per Quarter. I think it is approximately 3000/- per tax So you need to run the bus on full load daily.

So to avoid loss , some of the bus operators opted for less number of seats (1+2) instead of 2+2.

I voted for AL for cheaper maintenance costs. To break even early, the bus should not meet with any accidents. Due to better highways, the mileage has improved. Also luggage contributes decent amount of revenue.

Last edited by RGK : 23rd September 2011 at 22:00.

Most Viewed