Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:37   #76
BHPian

re: The Bajaj Qute (RE60)

I just watched Mr. Rajiv Bajaj address the media during the launch of RE 60.

I think he made it amply clear that this is Bajaj's next big step in the three wheeler market. So, they are not even pitching this as a family car. So, it is not a Nano competitor in that sense. It is more of a commercial transport vehicle to replace the 3 wheelers perhaps at a slow pace.

I would definitely want to try it out before passing any judgement.

I think this is a good move by Bajaj. Hope they do well!

Cheers,
Abhi
Old 3rd January 2012, 23:13   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Bajaj's Small Car

I guess this is new generation of AutoRickshaw from Bajaj.
I won't even touch it with a 10 foot barge pole.
Old 3rd January 2012, 23:34   #78
BHPian

Rajiv Bajaj expected such negative response from the public and hence he never dared to call it a nano competitor or atleast a 'car'.
Overloading it with kids for the morning school can be a problem with this 4 wheeler.
Old 3rd January 2012, 23:40   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
The biggest comedy of the decade.
It will be very surprising if it works!!
Already it stands half way in windscreen and I am not sure it will cover the complete swipe area of the windscreen!!
Perhaps the wiper is hand operated as in the earlier autorikshaws and on the copassengers side in the earlier Jeeps.
Also, this car, if it can be called so, can only serve one purpose; facilitate auto mags to run comparo tests with Nano.( as sparring partner)

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd January 2012 at 23:44.
Old 3rd January 2012, 23:44   #80
BHPian

Some highlights of this small "car" from bajaj -
  • Named - RE60
  • 200cc petrol engine, four-seater
  • 35 kilometres per litre (83 miles per US gallon)
  • Top speed of 70 kilometres an hour
  • It weighs 400 kilograms (880 pounds).
  • Emits just 60 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre
Bajaj, Renault and Nissan abandoned their joint low-cost car project in July last year amid differences over the direction of the project. Renault had voiced concern about the quality of the final product. (looking at the final product they came up with, we can't blame them!)

Rajiv Bajaj - the core market for RE60 would be owners of three-wheeled motorised rickshaws (but it was also for anyone who "wanted to take it home.")

Bajaj took several digs at the Nano during his presentation, saying "I am personally not sure what the Nano is."

Source Article :: Bajaj unveils Nano's rival RE60

Last edited by SunilM : 3rd January 2012 at 23:59.
Old 3rd January 2012, 23:57   #81

The more i look at this auto-car the more disgusted i feel!!

if one looks closer the rear would look like one of those hard top modified rickshaws!!
Old 4th January 2012, 00:18   #82
BHPian

200 CC Engine ? Can it pull 4 people with a couple of school bags ? if they price it near a lakh, Nano is a better off with a 600 CC engine. also the normal question, does it come in diesel ?
Old 4th January 2012, 00:40   #83
BHPian

Ridiculuous !! This has to be the most hideous creature to come out of the stables of any auto manufacturer the world over. I know we Indians make do with whatever little aesthetics the Dzires and the Ritzs of the world throw at us - but man, truly, this is taking lack of aesthetics way too far.

Btw, calling this a 'car' is wholly unfair - Rajiv Bajaj refers to the end customer as someone who is driving a motorized three-wheeler (minus the angrezi - he means an auto-rickshaw, i guess!) Basically, a super-ugly, poorly put together toy autorickshaw with doors - but why bother building an auto that runs on petrol !!! ... am not surprised that the Frenchmen from Renault didnt want their name to be associated with this beauty of a product

I hope it bombs - i shudder to think of the sight of a few of these on the roads !!!

Last edited by RoadTiger : 4th January 2012 at 01:01.
Old 4th January 2012, 01:02   #84
BHPian

I hope this hideous product helps people realize how difficult it was for Tata to make a Nano and appreciate it for what it is.

I mean, how can this even think about competing with the lovely Nano. Since the day of the Nano launch, I had been silently hoping that all the Autorickshaws rot in hell and be replaced by brand new Nanos. With the launch of the RE60, the day NanoCabs happen in India suddenly seems to have come much closer.

@TML please launch a CNGed NanoCab ASAP. Who needs diesel when you've got CNG!?!?
Old 4th January 2012, 01:10   #85
Senior - BHPian

While the car looks hideous, especially from the side profile, I think Bajaj is onto something here. The product seems to be clearly targetting the 3 wheeler market, both in India and abroad. Bajaj is not positioning this as a car, and certainly not pitting it against the Nano.

Now, if the focus is the 3 wheeler segment, then its a huge improvement in safety levels, with 4 wheels, a roof, and doors.

Also, while the vehicle looks hideous, I think it seems to be very practically designed. Look at the space in there, should be able to seat 4 people comfortably, probably with some luggage as well. Add to that the excellent mileage and traditionally low cost maintainence of Bajaj vehicles.

Another interesting point is that Bajaj is perhaps the only Indian auto company that has grudging acceptance in the neighbouring markets of Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. They also seem to be doing well in exports to Africa. I think this vehicle might just fit the bill in meeting the needs of transportation in these developing countries.

I'm willing to bet on Bajaj's RE60 being a success. And, I think its commendable that they have taken a bet on trying to improve on a product that actually does not have any competition (as yet). Kudos to Bajaj for a pioneering attempt.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 01:58   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.kedlaya View Post
I just watched Mr. Rajiv Bajaj address the media during the launch of RE 60.

Bajaj Auto launches its new car RE 60 - YouTube

I think he made it amply clear that this is Bajaj's next big step in the three wheeler market. So, they are not even pitching this as a family car. So, it is not a Nano competitor in that sense. It is more of a commercial transport vehicle to replace the 3 wheelers perhaps at a slow pace.

I would definitely want to try it out before passing any judgement.

I think this is a good move by Bajaj. Hope they do well!

Cheers,
Abhi
Thanks for posting this Video, this does make sure that its not a Nano Competitor Car. Its purely a step forward for the Auto Rickshaw & hence the RE badge.

This also shows how stupid the Media is, Nowhere in it speech did Rajiv Bajaj say that this engine is made with Collaboration with Nissan or Renault while the ticker happily was saying so, infact he mentioned that its fully built by them. They also mentioned it as Nano Rival which its certainly not & neither did Mr Bajaj mention so.

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th January 2012 at 05:10.
Old 4th January 2012, 02:18   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
That's one ugly looking contraption Bajaj has Made.

The headlight design seems inspired from Kia Soul. If only they were inspired more from that car.
Spot-On Technocrat! The headlight design and some ideas borrowed for the wheels too. Here is a comparison.

The Bajaj Qute (RE60)-soulvsre60.jpg

Agreed it is a low-cost offering, but why make it apparent with this hideous design. The Magic Iris looks way better and appropriate for the application as a three wheeler replacement. Bajaj could have at least made some research and stuck to a design like the IRIS than this wannabe car like contraption.

It may be too early to pass judgment but IMHO all the negativity may turn opposite if RE60 is priced right. I sure was expecting more from Bajaj than this.

Pic of Soul Ignition, courtesy kia-world.net and the RE60 from this thread.
Old 4th January 2012, 03:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

Here is the interior pic. Looks good but spartan. The glovebox with lock at the top is neat touch. The gear selector is neatly placed too. Plenty of rear seat space too.

Source: Motorbeam.com

This is a good replacement to auto rickshaw. I don't think it should be called a car. More like a 4-wheeler auto. Good for Bajaj to provide safety belts at rear too. Neatly tucked away in the rear pillar. The seats look uncomfortable. Needs a head rest for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bajaj Qute (RE60)-2012_bajaj_re60_interior.jpg  

The Bajaj Qute (RE60)-2012_bajaj_re60_rear_seat.jpg  

Last edited by chevelle : 4th January 2012 at 03:37.
Old 4th January 2012, 08:06   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Side profile, esp the top half, reminds me of the Sumo Grande
Old 4th January 2012, 08:09   #90
BHPian

Its very clear that this is a Auto on 4 wheels. Hence lets not compare it to the NANO.

Now we have Iris as well in this segment and IRIS looks so much more beautiful compared to the RE. I have seen many modified Hard top Autos in Belgaum, and mind you they looked better than what Bajaj has done.

RE by itself is a major step compared to the current AUTO, Special factors will be the safety as well as the comfort. And other factor being the Pulsar 200CC engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks