Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 17:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maintenance of Buses by various STUs

Some of the leading STUs have tens and thousands of buses running round the clock both on inter city and city routes. These buses need regular maintenance and these large organizations have large facilities to keep these vehicles running on the roads. Some requirements are outsourced such as coach building while some STUs build them in their own regional workshops. The mechanical upkeep of these buses are done both in depot and in workshops. Some of the buses in the fleet need specialized care such as the Volvos which are maintained by Volvo personnel deployed in depots itself as told by a BMTC staff. Some information collated from various STU websites are as follows. Any more information and pictures of workshops, buses under maintenance, depots, maintenance schedules are most welcome.

APSRTC

APSRTC follows two tier maintenance i.e. preventive maintenance of buses at depots and major repairs/ overhauls at workshops. To serve this purpose Corporation has constructed 7 retreading shops and 7 work shops. The Bus Body Building Unit in Hyderabad builds more than 600 bus bodies every year.
Modern and updated technologies have also been introduced. To provide thorough cleaning in minimum possible time, 28 Automatic Washing machines were installed at major bus stations and district head quarters depots at a cost of Rs. 28 millions. Each machine washes about 250 buses a day effectively
Infrastructure

BMTC

Every month all the BMTC buses are subjected to smoke check. The depots are provided with computerized emission testing machines. Emission norms ensured.
Preventive and periodical maintenance are being carried out as per the recommendation of the vehicle manufacturers and the schedule is as follows.
  • Daily maintenance (Every day)
  • Alternate day maintenance (Once in two days)
  • Ten day maintenance (Once in 10 days)
  • Docking-I, for every 20000 kms of operations.
  • Docking-II, for every 40000 kms of operations.
  • Docking-III, for every 60000 kms of operations.
  • Docking-IV, for every 80000 kms of operations.
The Corporation has provided four Mobile Workshops, which attends the en-route breakdowns immediately after receiving the message.
Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation

BEST

The transport wing of B.E.S. & T. undertaking operates buses within the Municipal limits of Greater Bombay and it is presently extended up to Belapur in Navi Mumbai in northeast direction as well as up to Bhayander and Teen hath naka at Thane.
In order to keep this bus fleet roadworthy, a Two-Tier System of maintenance is followed by Transportation Engineering Department. A workshop located centrally at Tilak road near Khodadad Circle, Dadar acts as one work centre, which carries out major overhauling of all units, chassis, major body damage repairs and modification work, replacement of heavy units, reclamation work. This system facilitates grouping of jobs requiring same process / machines / equipment's together for better utilization of manpower.

Depot is another work centre, which provides bus services effectively on every day, carries out preventive maintenance as well as repairs on buses. We have 25 depots located in four zones viz. City, Central, Western, Eastern suburban zones.

Dadar workshop has a built up area of 27,170 square meters. All Unit overhauling, repairing of Body damages, tyre cut repairs, plant & equipment installation and repairs, reclaimation activities are carried out in the workshop.

Operation wing consists of 25 depots spread over the areas of greater Mumbai in addition to Bus Control section, Motor vehicle section and statistical section. For its effective bus operation all the depots carry out various maintenance practices such as preventive maintenance, unit replacement, RTO passing, body damage repairs of buses. An imprest stock of various units, important chassis / bus components is maintained at depot level. Depot replaces the defective units with the imprest stock units and sends the defective unit to Material Control section of workshop for repairs.
Transport Engineering

MSRTC

MSRTC is the second largest Corporation in the Transport Sector. ME Department is the main important faculty operating and maintaining fleet of about 16,000 buses and making them available for operation throughout Maharashtra. This Department works on two fragments viz. production and operation and for this purpose it has got network of depots, Divisional Workshops. New buses are built at the 3 Central Workshops i.e. Pune, Aurangabad and Nagpur. As mentioned, for production of new buses and maintenance of buses, ME Department has got 3 tier system i.e. Central Workshops, Divisional Workshops and depots. The organizational structure of ME Department is attached at Annexure 'A'.

New bus body building and chassis purchase.
ME Department purchase chassis and construct new bus bodies at the 3 Central Workshops as per the requirement of the Traffic Department. The bus bodies constructed are of ordinary and Semi Luxury type. The overall capacity of the construction of new bus body is about 1836 buses per annum. The Central Workshopwise capacity and man hours prescribed are as follows..

Further, the Central Workshops are also equipped with repairs, calibration and reconditioning of engine and FI Pumps. ME Department have framed maintenance policy based on the recommendations of chassis manufacturers. This policy is called as Vehicle Maintenance Policy describing GSO no. 1125. ME Department is having 32 Divisional Workshops located at the Divisional Headquarters wherein vehicle maintenance is carried out as follows..

Six monthly docking.
RTO passing.
Assembly overhauling.
Accident Repairs.

These Divisional Workshops are attached with unit of Divisional reconditioning unit wherein the complete reconditioning of the bus at the prescribed age (After 3 years, 5 years and 7 years of the bus life) is carried out.

Depot Workshops.
ME Department is having 248 Depot Workshops for daily maintenance and running repairs of the buses. The main jobs carried out are as follows.

Daily Maintenance.
Decadely Maintenance.
Engine Oil Change.
By-Monthly Docking.
Running repairs.

These Depot Workshops are equipped with sub stores for making various spare parts material available required for above repairs.

Tyre Retreading Plants.
ME Department is controlling 9 Tyre Retreading Plants wherein the retreading and service repairs of tyres by precured process is carried out in order to provide required no. of rtd. tyres for the division. The TRPs are situated at C.W.Pune, Kolhapur, Nagpur, Nanded, Jalgaon, Nashik, Latur, Amravati and Ratnagiri.

Welcome to the official website of MSRTC

Last edited by girishglg : 19th January 2012 at 17:21. Reason: Mods pls move it to the right section if required
girishglg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 14:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maintenance of Buses by various STUs

Though these details are given in their websites, the only thing common between them is they follow Breakdown maintenance. Most of them do not have a comprehensive preventive maintenance that's actually followed!
Old 19th February 2012, 19:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

I find APSRTC Employees love their vehicles more than the others. Today I was following an AIRAVATH B7R and a GARUDA B7R, the GARUDA looked almost new. At the Satellite Bus Station in Kasturi Nagar, I found a VOLVO, parked neatly with the air-vents on the roof open to let out bad odour as the Bus rested
Old 9th March 2012, 11:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Parisar compared the performance of PMPML with bus service providers in five other Indian cities; BEST (Mumbai); MTC (Chennai); BMTC (Bangalore) and DTC (Delhi). In a previous study titled PMPML Report card, Parisar had quantified the performance of PMPML, which showed how PMPML scored low on all counts. The current study concludes that PMPML also performs considerably worse than other bus systems in Indian cities.

Read more from Parisar website - Comparison of bus services in Indian cities
Attached Images

Old 9th March 2012, 16:59   #5
BHPian

The above data looks very fishy especially comparing Breakdown rate of 0.0 (or negligible ) for MTC. Knowing MTC, the break down rate is definitely not this level. But one aspect I agree is that fleet age is younger which might contribute to lesser breakdowns as it has a policy of condemning buses even which are less than 5 years old.
Old 25th March 2012, 02:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

PMPML surely fails in many areas apart from the ones mentioned below

Drivers and conductors have laid back attitude
There is no change carried , they ask for change from you all the time.

From the very brief time that i travelled, i noticed buses with missing floor panels, torn engine cover ,hanging body parts, non functional lights.
Old 31st July 2012, 21:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

PMPML is extremely bad in maintaining their bus. also they love to do JUGAAD. saw this bus with JUGAD
Attached Thumbnails
Maintenance of Buses by various STUs-bus.jpg  

Old 16th January 2013, 19:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

UPSRTC bus journey a test of endurance

This is the condition of buses run by UPSRTC. No wonder there are not many takers for such as commute which is so uncomfortable and filthy.

With the exception of just a few STCs most of the other state corporations are in a state of rot. Read on-

Courtsey - TOI

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...w-buses-upstrc
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks