Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:56   #1
BHPian

AMW enters the Desert Storm!

First truck maker in the Desert Storm, awesome!

AMW enters the Desert Storm!-amw_constructionweekonline.com.jpg
Photo Credit: constructionweekonline.in

Asia MotorWorks (AMW) is the first truck maker in India to participate in the annual Desert Storm rally. This over 3,000 kms long event is considered to be the toughest and most grueling long distance rally raid on the subcontinent. AMW will be entering four specially modified trucks in the 'Ndure' category.
The rally was flagged off from New Delhi on February 20, 2012, and ends on the 25th in Ahmedabad.
The Ndure category is a controlled speed endurance TSD (Time Speed Distance) test for production vehicles.

More details about the Desert Storm can be found here
Travelogue about the route to be followed by the Desert Storm 2012 Participants
jalsa777 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:06   #2
BHPian

Re: AMW enters the Desert Storm!

Some more pictures:

Source: Asia Motor Works' Facebook Page

AMW enters the Desert Storm!-amw-desert-storm-2012-1.jpg

AMW enters the Desert Storm!-amw-desert-storm-2012-2.jpg

AMW enters the Desert Storm!-amw-desert-storm-2012-3.jpg

AMW enters the Desert Storm!-amw-desert-storm-2012-4.jpg
jalsa777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Great new category in DS. wondering which vehicle are they competing with? or is it amongst themselves?

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2012 at 21:04. Reason: gr8 = great. No SMS language please.
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
gr8 new category in DS. wondering which vehicle are they competing with? or is it amongst themselves?
For now, its just the 4 AMW trucks in the category. Hopefully, other companies will enter next year
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:43   #5
Zed
BHPian

Im keeping my fingers crossed that the category attracts the rest of the CV players in India next time around. This could well be the beginning of the truck racing scene in India. Kudos to AMW for participating this year. What worries me a bit is the lack of a roll cage (or am I not seeing it?) - I assume this may not be mandatory for the competition class the trucks are in but unlike most competing cars that can survive rolls minus a roll cage - wonder what level of protection a standard truck cab will provide. Plus there's no mention of who the drivers are - i.e company staff or semi-pro's ??

Here's a clip for those of you that are interested in truck rallying featuring one of the most dominant teams in recent years. The soundtrack reeks of Malmsteen.

Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Im keeping my fingers crossed that the category attracts the rest of the CV players in India next time around. This could well be the beginning of the truck racing scene in India. Kudos to AMW for participating this year. What worries me a bit is the lack of a roll cage (or am I not seeing it?) - I assume this may not be mandatory for the competition class the trucks are in but unlike most competing cars that can survive rolls minus a roll cage - wonder what level of protection a standard truck cab will provide.
The category in which the trucks have entered has the Time-Speed-Distance (TSD) format. Hence, the speeds are controlled and so I don't think there is a need for a roll-cage as per the regulations.
Experts please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by jalsa777 : 23rd February 2012 at 14:03.
jalsa777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:19   #7
Zed
BHPian

@ J-777
As mentioned in my post the category of competition might not warrant a roll cage but my question was more of a 'what if ?'. A misjudged approach \ descent in an undulating landscape, even at low speeds, can result in a truck landing wheel side up.

One of the pics suggests most of the ingredients that constitute a flag-off were in place - Cheerleaders - check, chequered flag & Chief guest - check, Rally lights and decals on truck - check, arrangements at the podium - check, seat-belts... oh ooh!
Zed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 13:08   #8
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Asia MotorWorks (AMW) is the first truck maker in India to participate in the annual Desert Storm rally. This over 3,000 kms long event is considered to be the toughest and most grueling long distance rally raid on the subcontinent. AMW will be entering four specially modified trucks in the 'Ndure' category.
Any updates on how the trucks have help up so far ?
Old 27th February 2012, 17:15   #9
BHPian

Team AMW wins top 3 awards in Truck category at Rally Desert Storm

https://twitter.com/#!/AsiaMotorWork...49427531468805

@jalsa777: Any further updates, if you have any please?
Old 27th February 2012, 17:52   #10
Zed
BHPian

'Win' ?? I guess that was a foregone conclusion since they were the only participants in the truck category so that's a bit of an overstatement! But Id certainly like to know how the trucks held up, what sort of terrain \ speeds they negotiated and who the drivers were.

Would be good to have the other CV biggies going head to head in proper rally trucks in the next edition of the event. Who knows perhaps we will have an Indian entry at the Dakar someday...
Old 14th March 2012, 21:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Source:AMW FB

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2012 at 13:59. Reason: Hi Ashley2, please always use the Team-BHP "attachment" option when adding pics to thread. Thanks.
Old 14th March 2012, 23:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

God knows what it would feel like to be driving that trailing Gypsy!
Old 15th March 2012, 23:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Im keeping my fingers crossed that the category attracts the rest of the CV players in India next time around. This could well be the beginning of the truck racing scene in India. Kudos to AMW for participating this year. What worries me a bit is the lack of a roll cage (or am I not seeing it?) - I assume this may not be mandatory for the competition class the trucks are in but unlike most competing cars that can survive rolls minus a roll cage - wonder what level of protection a standard truck cab will provide. Plus there's no mention of who the drivers are - i.e company staff or semi-pro's ??

Here's a clip for those of you that are interested in truck rallying featuring one of the most dominant teams in recent years. The soundtrack reeks of Malmsteen.
Would really like to see TATA 713 4x4 perform.

BTW that vladimir Chagin, known as Czar of Dakar. He has dominated Dakar rally than any other truck driver, 7 times and 63 stage wins.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 12:39   #14
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Would really like to see TATA 713 4x4 perform.

BTW that vladimir Chagin, known as Czar of Dakar. He has dominated Dakar rally than any other truck driver, 7 times and 63 stage wins.
Chagin and Firdaus Kabirov have absolutely dominated the truck category in their Kamaz master trucks for the several editions of the Dakar.

This years winner, the relatively young privateer Dutchman Gerard de Rooy (son of a former Dakar winner) has been trying desperately to finish ahead of team Kamaz ( If im not mistaken he was running DAFs in the past) and he finally accomplished his mission in an Iveco truck this year. Would he have won if Kabirov and Chagin were still behind the wheels at Kamaz ? One can only speculate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks