Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 09:48   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Jugaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
These are not exactly jugaads but properly manufactured vehicles (I dont think they are in production any longer, killed by the more efficiant tempos) quie popular in UP also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempo_(car)
Some more information on the Tempo Hanseat

Tempo Hanseat | The Truth About Cars

Mods:Apologies, unable to edit the last post
Attached Thumbnails
The Jugaad-707pxgoliath_dreirad_1954_tce.jpg  

The Jugaad-800pxtempo_hanseat_3wheeler.jpg  

m_upreti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 13:34   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
...watching this with great interest:-
Attachment 900504
Attachment 900496
...these vehicles are very helpful to move on the beaches, as they are lightweight and do not get stranded easily on the beach...
Found these three-wheeled jugaads teeming in the rural areas of WB the last time I was there (March 2012), especially plying on the highways early in the morning (pic taken at 6:21 AM). A close-up view of the undercarriage of one of these, shows a very interesting braking arrangement.
The Jugaad-jugaadnh2wb.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 13:50   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Found these three-wheeled jugaads teeming in the rural areas of WB the last time I was there (March 2012), especially plying on the highways early in the morning (pic taken at 6:21 AM). A close-up view of the undercarriage of one of these, shows a very interesting braking arrangement.
Thanks Doctor Sahab. Here is another variant commonly found in Birbhum district. This picture was taken by me while I was at Shantiniketan (Bolpur) last winter. Please see that the front wheel is distinctly different from that of the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
The Jugaad-img_0114.jpg  

rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 21:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

Anand Mahindra makes a great point about jugaad (@ 0.45 sec)
to him!

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd April 2013 at 01:53.
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 22:14   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

This is better then Auto as it can ferry more passengers around, another variation of this is to ferry goods and farm produce around by removing the seats at the back.

Attachment 899224
Attachment 899225
These versions are also known as "ganesh" in Meerut/Muzaffarnagar and Saharanpur district in UP.

I have travelled in both the Ganesh and the Jugaad many times visiting my village and neighbouring places.

The Ganesh is a much more comfortable ride than a jugaad as it has bit more engineering gone into it. The engine sits on the front wheel making it a one wheel drive vehicle. The biggest drawback was it was unable to handle turns with a slightest hint of slush. In the recent years the jugaad has been more popular as it can handle bad roads and can felly more people.

The jugaad is non existent in the eyes of the law. It is marked as a "daggamar" vehicle.

regards
Piyush
Old 22nd April 2013, 22:58   #66
BHPian

A few more Chakdahs from Gujarat - Kutch area and Sasan Gir region. Some of these vehicles are quite decorated while others are more utilitarian in their looks.

Regards,

The Jugaad-indian-harleys-1.jpg

The Jugaad-indian-harleys-2.jpg

The Jugaad-indian-harleys-3.jpg

The Jugaad-indian-harleys-4.jpg

The Jugaad-indian-harleys-5.jpg

The Jugaad-indian-harleys-6.jpg
jeepster09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:25   #67
BHPian

An auto rickshaw version of the chakda from Kutch region in Gujarat. The body has been nicely made and properly painted in the official taxi livery.

The Jugaad-chakdah-rickshaw1.jpg

The Jugaad-chakdah-rickshaw2.jpg
jeepster09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 08:08   #68
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to post these pictures, from my recent trip to China

A Jugaad replica in China
The Jugaad-jugaad-china-01.jpg

Another one
The Jugaad-jugaad-china-02.jpg

Similar to India they also use it for moving stuff (and sometimes people) within the city.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 10:42   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this the end of the road for the jugaad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business Standard, 21 May 2013
The Supreme Court has restrained plying of Jugaad, a locally made trasport vehicle, on roads without being registered and insured, saying that they have become a "menace" to public safety.

A bench of justices B S Chauhan and F M I Kalifulla said that Jugaad is motor vehicle under law and cannot be allowed to ply on roads without vehicle being registerd and its driver holding license.

"As the Jugaad is covered in the definition of the motor vehicle under Section 2(28) of the Act, the statutory authorities cannot escape from their duty to enforce the law and restrain their plying.

"The statutory authorities must ensure that Jugaad can be plied only after meeting the requirements of the Act. The same has become a menace to public safety as they are causing a very large number of accidents. Jugaads are not insured and its owners generally do not have the financial capacity to pay compensation to persons who suffer disablement and to dependents of those, who lose life," the bench said.
Source
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Post Business, 18 May 2013
On the face of it, the Supreme Court order of May 15 directing all states to ensure that jugaad vehicles do not ply unless they are registered with the regional transport authorities and have third party insurance needs to be welcomed.
The jugaad passengers are those at the bottom of the pyramid, who may not possess even a cycle. The jugaad offers the only means of getting from point A to point B, and those points will be from home to work and back. Not getting on to a jugaad could mean having to forsake a day’s wage. As for the risk of injury or death, that is to be left to fate. The Supreme Court order will leave them stranded.
The continued existence of jugaads is nothing but a damning indictment of the state of rural public transport. According to the report of the Working Group on Road Transport for the Twelfth Plan, less than one-third of the nearly six lakh inhabited villages are serviced by the State Road Transport Undertakings. Is there any discussion at all on this, with the kind of urgency and seriousness that urban public transport gets (it is another matter that despite all the attention, urban public transport is also in a mess)?
Maybe, because of the sanctity of the Supreme Court order, state governments will take jugaad vehicles off rural roads. But if they don’t take steps simultaneously to address the unmet demand for rural public transport, things will be back to square one. The Indian jugaad spirit will only replace the current lot of vehicles with some other means of transport, which could be more unsafe. They will continue till another Supreme Court order some years down the line.

So long as there is demand to ensure that earnings more than make up for the bribes paid, such services – whether Gramin Sevas in Delhi or jugaads in the rural areas – will continue.
That is the bitter truth.
Source

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st May 2013 at 10:49.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 19:15   #70
BHPian

The Jugaad-935866_577380495661360_1525013577_n.jpg

Found on FB, what people you think of this one ?

TaurusAl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 22:12   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Is this the end of the road for the jugaad?
Found an interesting article on a young engineer who has chosen to address the specific need in the market which so far has seen only jugaad solutions

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ntenttarget=no
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 11:11   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
It is also known as Maruta
Also another form is sugarcane Juice cart,the engine drives the cart,and helps in extracting sugarcane juice as well.
Here it is, the SugarCane Crusher Cart
Attached Thumbnails
The Jugaad-wp_000001.jpg  

thecoolsundar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 12:15   #73
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile our Indonesian friends have made it into an art form!
Here's one at Borobudur
The Jugaad-image.jpeg
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 16:09   #74
BHPian

Aren't these called the Phatphatis in Delhi ?

I used to look at them in awe when we moved to Hissar from down south and even its name sounded too alien to me.

And I have a memory connected to this vehicle during my first ride. After a tired day of shopping, we got into this to get back home and I fell asleep with my newly brought truck toy in my hand only to realize that I dropped in the way during my slumber. :(
Old 21st July 2019, 17:23   #75
BHPian

He's at it again.

The Jugaad-img_20190720_195927.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks