Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 14:57   #16
BHPian

Re: The Jugaad

Hey SS, TFS.

Down south in TN Chennai there is a similar contraption to "Chhakda" simply called "Meen Body Vandi" (translated to Fish cart) Its used to haul anything and everything including fish/chicken and other vegetables from the central markets to suburbs.

These are modified 3 wheelers with bullet/java/yezdi/rajdoot engines attached and run mostly on kerosene. These run freely on all main roads of Chennai without any cops stopping them, since each cart owner/driver pays regular "Mamool" or "hafta" to police.
Attached Thumbnails
The Jugaad-meen_vandi.jpg  

arunu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 16:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Woaah never knew such contraptions existed in India and could be driven around doing chores without a valid registration. Thanks for putting up a thread here ss-t.

These were called the Tempo Hanseat from Bajaj and were very much legal. Atleast I remember these in bangalore with valid registration plates, unlike what is posted by SS-T.
A relative of mine had two of these hanseats back home in Kerala and I remember the ruckus they would create when started.
Yes agreed they made huge ruckus, but in seventies they had original petrol/2t oil engines. In fact these petrol/oil engines had a very sweet soothing sound from it's short exhaust, this exhaust used to turn along with the entire engine and front wheel when the steering was turned.The engine used to start very fast with just a touch of a circular Black starter push button.
Old 8th March 2012, 18:50   #18
BHPian

I think, the so called share autos plying in chennai should come under the classification of these Jugads. They have no specific dimensions or anything. Also these jugads have a field day since none can question them and they are all over the road, stopping where they like.
Old 8th March 2012, 20:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great info for people from the South who have not visited the rural North.

Is there one company that manufactures this or is it all done by local mechanics. Is there any kind of parts/design commonization/standard?
Old 8th March 2012, 21:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Rural Bengal teems with the 3 wheel variety. Chinese diesel engine. No front brakes. Band brakes at the rear.
Last week, one of these drew first blood on my SUV. Their secret of stopping is to swerve enough so that the narrow front part avoids the obstacle. The load bed hits the obstacle, and stops!

Do the 4 wheel juggads have front brakes?

Here the Rajkot made 'Listers' have disappeared, replaced by Chinese engines. So surprised that the 'Listers' are still being used in N. India.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 8th March 2012 at 21:56.
Old 8th March 2012, 21:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

It is also known as Maruta
Also another form is sugarcane Juice cart,the engine drives the cart,and helps in extracting sugarcane juice as well.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 21:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Oh My God ! Was an eye opener to say the least.
But the illegality of operating such a vehicle quite so openly is quite shocking. What are the traffic cops for?
There ARE no traffic cops in rural and semi-urban UP/Haryana etc. Till some time ago, even Gurgaon did not have a traffic police force. Plus, the cops' job is to protect the vote bank, not put them in jail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Absolutely wonderful, i recall reading an American blog about Jugad.
Any links to the blog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Don't get me started on this.
Didn't realize Jugaads have invaded Bihar too lately. Shows the growing affluence of the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Woaah never knew such contraptions existed in India and could be driven around doing chores without a valid registration. Thanks for putting up a thread here ss-t.
Remember, one's proof of local residence (as evident from the dialect one speaks) is good enough to waive off any fines / legal action. If you or I were to drive this thing on the highway, we would stand out like a sore thumb, and the cops would be more than happy to lighten our wallets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Is that a steering wheel shaft or a spear waiting to impale the driver in a head-on collision?
Jugaad is apparently the most preferred dowry item in those areas.
LOL - people want a spear as dowry? Not really - demand for dowry includes the more conventional goods carriers and of course, motorcycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
Excellent article SS! Should go to some auto magazine or newspaper.
Has anyone noticed that front grill!? Gives a new definition to Aero-dynamic.
Thanks. Just dynamic would be good enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamboj View Post
Very nice effort on documenting Jugaad.
Few might know that in Punjab it is also called Maruta (male version of Maruti)
I have honour of travelling in Jugaad once . Ride is like travelling in a tractor-trolly, rather better than that due leafspring based (or whatever it is) suspension. In Punjab and Haryana many smaller private schools use these to ferry children.
Thanks for the feedback on ride quality! Never got to ride one myself. Indeed, these started being called Maruta in Punjab from the late 1980s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
It is also known as Maruta
Also another form is sugarcane Juice cart,the engine drives the cart,and helps in extracting sugarcane juice as well.
Don't recall seeing the motorized sugarcane cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Excellent thread Dada. I've seen a lot of these vehicles in Northern India and Gujarat..., and wondered what makes these contraptions roll. Just came to know the "technology" that goes behind these masterpieces.
...with all due respect, the Tempo was an engineering marvel compared to the Jugaad!
Thank you, PW. I agree - Hanseats were quite well engineered, though not quite doing the duty they were originally designed to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
Hey SS, TFS.
What's TFS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
Down south in TN Chennai there is a similar contraption...called "Meen Body Vandi"...
These are modified 3 wheelers with bullet/java/yezdi/rajdoot engines attached and run mostly on kerosene.
I thought the Meen Body Vandi referred to even the non-motorized 3-wheelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Great info for people from the South who have not visited the rural North.
Is there one company that manufactures this or is it all done by local mechanics. Is there any kind of parts/design commonization/standard?
Parts standardization - yes, to an extent. The engines across various manufacturers have a common parts bin of things like pistons, valves, crank shafts, injectors etc. Brakes, bearings etc. are of a limited number of designs. The economies of scale apply due to the common parts bin, though each fabricator might operate out of a 200 square yard shed.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 8th March 2012 at 22:02.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 21:58   #23
BHPian

Just so that we stop singing praise of Jugaad (no not the vehicle, but the so called frugal engineering concept) - I think until India and Indians change some of the mindset - there is not much chance to emerge as power house!

Thinkers ponder what
autocrazy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 22:48   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Didn't realize Jugaads have invaded Bihar too lately. Shows the growing affluence of the population.
I can't understand from where have so many people crowded the streets in this part in the recent 3-4 years, the buses/trains all full capacity, always.

Quote:
LOL - people want a spear as dowry? Not really - demand for dowry includes the more conventional goods carriers and of course, motorcycles.
Cycle & radio combo to .315 bore guns & Scorpios, depends what you fancy.
Quote:
Don't recall seeing the motorized sugarcane cart.
They are doing duty in our region as well, but not as PITA as jugaad.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 00:41   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can't understand from where have so many people crowded the streets in this part in the recent 3-4 years, the buses/trains all full capacity, always.
Migrants going back to a brave & safe new Bihar under Nitish Kumar. Visible change in demographics in the sugarcane fields of UP, where migrant labour from Bihar was aplenty till a year or two ago, very few available this year for the big farmers to hire. Borrowed UP's Jugaad tech and took it back to Bihar I suppose!

Quote:
They are doing duty in our region as well, but not as PITA as jugaad.
Got some pics to post?
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 05:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Any links to the blog?
Now that it has become management talk on frugal engineering and Innovation, everyone is writing and talking about it. Two years ago when this was new thing to talk about in management and leadership training programs only few blogs/articles existed. Tried googling, but could only find one, the other one seems to be lost somewhere (Will try again or dig through emails for get the link) in the meantime here is the one that i found.

jugaad | Our Delhi Struggle

The Economist one is more interesting

Cost-cutting in Asia: A snip at the price | The Economist
mayankjha1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 11:34   #27
BHPian

Waking up from bed on a fine morning in my hotel at Mandarmani, a sea side village in East Midnapore district of West Bengal, I could not find my daughter. My wife informed me that she had walked towards the beach in front our hotel just a while ago. When I found her, she was watching this with great interest:-
The Jugaad-055.jpg
The Jugaad-056.jpg
I think that although she had seen these earlier, she could not see them very closely enough. The next moment she returned back running, requesting us to accompany her for an hour long ride in it, in exchange of Rs 200/-.
But it may be mentioned here that these vehicles are very helpful to move on the beaches, as they are lightweight and do not get stranded easily on the beach, unlike the heavier motor cars and SUVs. Also with the engines fitted high, they may move more freely during rising waters at times of high tide.

Last edited by rahul4640 : 10th March 2012 at 11:43. Reason: Spelling check
rahul4640 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 13:23   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
...watching this with great interest...
Very interesting indeed. Similar to the Chhakda prevalent in Gujarat. Wonder what engine it uses. Any one care to comment on the drive arrangement on the rear axle?
Old 15th March 2012, 12:12   #29
BHPian

Awesome Thread SS Traveller. A number of Jugaad thread was around here, but none offered this much insight. Thanks and appreciations for the research.
The Great Indian Jugaad (as a concept, not as this vehicle) has been a matter of fascination to many a management guru and practitioner. We are indeed a race with imagination and unbelievable capacity for make-do. This thread throws light upon that fact and shows the make believe generation that indigenous is beyond indica.
sen2009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 14:15   #30
Team-BHP Support

This is not known in Jugaad in Punjab.
Its called Maruta. Or a mail Maruti. Never mind Maruti is already male.

Marutas in Punjab are made in Dabwali area(famous for jeeps), as well in some pockets of Ropar area(Rupnagar).

Though they have leaf spring rear suspension, I feel its a waste of money. I have ridden as a passenger once, and its worse than riding a buffalo(yes I have ridden a buffalo too).

Its as comfortable as riding on the mudguard of a tractor(with no suspension to speak off).
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks