Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2012, 11:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Foton (Chinese) Trucks in India?

Quote:
I think we underestimate the Chinese products too quickly.

FOTON is a manufacturer producing close to 600 thousand vehicles a year (more than the complete CV production in India)! I really don't think they could have achieved these numbers with sub-standard quality. For sure there would have been lemons but I'm pretty sure the numbers would be negligible.

For many products, the Chinese quality is way above the Indian standards!

My personal opinion is that if Foton do decide to make a strong stand in India, then things would become really interesting. TML, AL & VECV have not seen a high volume competitor as yet in the CV segment. Uptill now, the new players like Volvo, MAN, Scania etc all play in niche segments.
Owning and operating a FOTON vehicle, I wouldn't say the above (no offence mate!). No FOTON vehicle (would not include the other Chinese manufacturers) is any close to the quality of Indian manufacturers. But of course, if we mean "Indian manufacturers" as in like HM, Sonalika or the kind, true perhaps. But then it would only be at par with these. I remember when my driver sat on the van for the first time, he said "Bhaiyya, yeh tho hamare ambassador jaisa hai!" (Brother, this is just like our ambassador). This despite the fact that, on paper, it boasted of so many functions which was astounding to my driver himself, who was driving a Nissan Urvan until then.

However, FOTON could be the volume player here. Like somebody earlier pointed out, there isn't that kind of manufacturer to challenge the volumes manufacturers in our country. Only niche players. So if you say FOTON is a formidable force to reckon with in the Indian scenario, I agree. But if you say, its quality is way above Indian manufacturers', NO WAY! We shouldn't generalise on Chinese products as such. We are being specific about a particular company here. As for the quality of the Chinese products, I know that for what you pay, that you get. Top brands from around the world have their manufacturing facility in China, and there's no dearth of quality in any of their manufactured products. A far more developed country it is (thanks to the communist regime), and has got the right kind of manufacturing zones for specific products. All good and agreed. But not FOTON. Simple.

Cherio
Champion
Champion is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 14:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
FOTON though a BIG brand, will probably not be very successful in India, unless they prove that their trucks last long. ...

Unless FOTON is able to break the "Chinese hai yaar, chala to chala nahi to dukaan ke bahar warranty khatam (It is chinese buddy, warranty over as soon as you step out of the shop) " thought, I dont see it really taking off in the Indian Market. JMT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
I think we underestimate the Chinese products too quickly.

FOTON is a manufacturer producing close to 600 thousand vehicles a year (more than the complete CV production in India)! ......
For many products, the Chinese quality is way above the Indian standards!

My personal opinion is that if Foton do decide to make a strong stand in India, then things would become really interesting. TML, AL & VECV have not seen a high volume competitor as yet in the CV segment. Uptill now, the new players like Volvo, MAN, Scania etc all play in niche segments.
Foton, will have aggregates sourced from Cummins and Eaton/ZF IMO.Cabs, axles may be manufactured by them. Their products will have all the fancy bells and whistles, with price at the rock bottom level.
But as a company, Indians never have a good view about Chinese products. This is obvious in many industries and so many Chinese companies are using different brand name(as if they are from west) so they dont have a poor initial impression. Lets see if the formula is same here or some thing changes.
Old 22nd April 2012, 01:06   #18
BHPian

Saw a huge FOTON logo on a shop (showroom) near my house. It is just beside the Aga Khan Palace, in the same area as the old DASS showroom. Will try to get some pics tomorrow.
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
But as a company, Indians never have a good view about Chinese products. This is obvious in many industries and so many Chinese companies are using different brand name(as if they are from west) so they dont have a poor initial impression. Lets see if the formula is same here or some thing changes.
So much so, Chinese started using "Made in PRC" as "Made in China" gives a poor impression!
However, true to our perception, the Chinese invasion in two wheelers (200cc bikes promised at less than 30K!) died a silent death. It may happen here too (this attempt is much serious though, with significant greenfield investments).
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 16:19   #20
BHPian

I heard FOTON is planning to launch their trucks in 2014. I think they have already finalised their plant location in Pune.

Primarily they should be focussing on the LCV/ICV segments.
Old 28th January 2013, 11:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo to become world’s largest heavy-duty truck manufacturer following strategic alliance with Chinese company Dongfeng Motor Group.
May gain access to more emerging markets.

Quote:
Chinese state-owned auto maker Dongfeng Motor Group Co. is set to announce as early as this weekend a strategic alliance with Swedish truck maker Volvo AB.
Dongfeng is a major exporter of heavy trucks to emerging markets, including Africa and South America, and the alliance would help the company further expand its global reach, the official added.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0AS3QA20130123

Cheers!
Old 1st March 2013, 15:03   #22

Saw these two Foton pickups being tested in Pune today. Looks like Tunland at the outset.

Foton (Chinese) Trucks in India?-img_1211.jpg

Foton (Chinese) Trucks in India?-img_1208.jpg

Foton (Chinese) Trucks in India?-img_1209.jpg

Foton (Chinese) Trucks in India?-img_1207.jpg
bora.nayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 15:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Holy cow! Thats a sweet looking pik-up truck. If they launch it at a good price and provide decent After sales, M&M need to be worried lot.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 17:32   #24
BHPian

Looks like all the Automobile players are getting their Pick-up trucks in India. Well one thing is for sure we would see a lot of good looking trucks on the road.
Old 13th February 2014, 23:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

saw 2 toonland trucks parked in the parking of foton office. i must admit that these trucks have very good road stance. powered by 2ltr Cummins engine.
Attached Images

tushky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 16:17   #26
BHPian

Badge was camouflaged for this Foton Ollins seen near the Chinchwad RTO Pune moving towards Nashik Highway. Foton might introduce this in India for 2-8tonne range..
Attached Thumbnails
Foton (Chinese) Trucks in India?-foton-ollins.jpg  

Last edited by Stratos : 21st July 2014 at 16:20.
Leymama is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 18:59   #27
BHPian

It seems Foton is about to launch a Luxury Bus in association with Amar Coaches (a Punjab based coach builder) similar to the Mercedes-Sutlej tie up. Here are a few pics from the website of Amar Coaches:
Attached Thumbnails
Foton (Chinese) Trucks in India?-galaxyfoton.jpg  

Foton (Chinese) Trucks in India?-galaxyfoton.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks