Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 10:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop : Ashok Leyland Avia D120 spotted near Vagamon (South India)

Quote:
Ashok Leyland will manufacture the Avia range of vehicles in its Pant Nagar facility in India with a capacity of 30,000 units
Heavy vehicles maker Ashok Leyland, the Hinduja Group flagship company, is planning to launch its latest Avia range of vehicles in the domestic market during this fiscal, a top company official said.

The city-headquartered company would manufacture the Avia range at its Pant Nagar manufacturing unit, Ashok Leyland Managing Director Vinodh K Dasaritold reporters here.

"We hope to bring them by the end of this fiscal," he said.

Noting the company was manufacturing AVIA range vehicles at its plant in Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic for the European markets, he said they make them as country specific vehicles.

"It will be India specific product when we launch it here," he said.

He said the Prague plant will continue to manufacture Avia vehicle and the Indian version would be made at their Pant Nagar facility.

"The facility will have a capacity to make 30,000 units per year," he said.

He said Avia range vehicles were one of the successful products for the company and would replace the company's Ecomet range of trucks in a phased manner.
Source : Zigwheels.com
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 15:39   #32
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power House View Post
Zed & directinjection : fykip..I specifically asked whether u can name 1 LCV coz i know perfectly well that the Dost is the first attempt by AL at LCV.. The Cargo and Chital you guys mentioned are all ICV's.. And for how it is going to be a cyclone effect, Action speaks louder than Words..wait and see.. .
Thank you for enlightening us on the LCV - ICV perspective. Please take this in the right spirit - rather than using this forum as a means to air rhetoric, it would benefit members \ visitors if facts, assumptions and\or discussions are presented with regards to future launches. While I do understand that information may have to be restricted for competitive reasons, im sure there is middle ground between rhetoric and restriction. I would point you in the direction of posts from Ashley for guidance.

In case my comments are not clear - please feel free to pm or reply to this post.

Again I request you to take my feedback in the right spirit. We are all here to experience T-BHP and at the same time contribute towards improving the experience for members & visitors.

Oh, and the moderators normally discourage the use of acronyms & sms\chat lingo

Last edited by Zed : 21st May 2012 at 15:40.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 13:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
As for the Dost, it has a marketshare of 22% in the 4 states it has been released in less than 1 year..
Can you pls define the segment where the Dost commands a 22% share. Is it the same segment comprising the Ace and the Maxximo (upto 1 Ton payload) or are you talking about the 1-2 Ton payload segment which is actually very nascent for semi forward and full forward LCVs.

Also can someone in this forum throw some light on why the AL ICVs were not succesful as IMHO, the vehicles were on par or better than the present competition and the bus versions (Stag and Lynx) sell well.

Pretty surprising that people prefer ALL HCVs & Buses but not ICV trucks. Getting a little too curious as there doesn't seem to be a proper reason for their modest success rate despite some good engineering efforts.
Old 24th May 2012, 21:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
Can you pls define the segment where the Dost commands a 22% share.
I could see quite a few Dosts on Kerala roads. It is taking market share away from Mahindra, as ACE sales are not seems to be affected. At the same time, i guess less number of Super ACEs are sold because of the popularity of Dost. Good going for Dost so far at least in Kerala.
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Can you pls define the segment where the Dost commands a 22% share. Is it the same segment comprising the Ace and the Maxximo (upto 1 Ton payload) or are you talking about the 1-2 Ton payload segment which is actually very nascent for semi forward and full forward LCVs.
Its in the entire LCV segment (upto 6T).. And the figures are for the past FY'11..
Old 2nd June 2012, 15:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you pls define the segment where the Dost commands a 22% share. Is it the same segment comprising the Ace and the Maxximo (upto 1 Ton payload) or are you talking about the 1-2 Ton payload segment which is actually very nascent for semi forward and full forward LCVs....
Quote:
Its in the entire LCV segment (upto 6T).. And the figures are for the past FY'11..

The 22% MS is in the 2 to 2.5T segment.
This does not cover the segment where Ace and Maxximo are there. They are in the same category like Alto/800 and Dost is in slightly next level of WagonR/i10.

The competitors to Dost are Mahindra Bolero Maxx truck,Mahindra Bolero Pick up,Mahindra Genio, Tata Super Ace. Out of all these Genio only has a payload of 1.25T which is comparable with Dost and rest are lesser by few hundred kgs. Though this is not very obvious, for various other reasons like Mileage, better ergonomics (higher payload in a smaller vehicle) Dost is selling.

For more details you can refer this thread

Quote:
Also can someone in this forum throw some light on why the AL ICVs were not succesful as IMHO, the vehicles were on par or better than the present competition and the bus versions (Stag and Lynx) sell well.

Pretty surprising that people prefer ALL HCVs & Buses but not ICV trucks. Getting a little too curious as there doesn't seem to be a proper reason for their modest success rate despite some good engineering efforts.
In trucks in ICV segment AL had Ecomet 912 and 1112. Though this was a ICV by paper the aggregates where heavy. The important mantra in Indian automobile industry - Mileage was not class leading. But days passed by and requirement of higher tonnage carried in rated load application emerged and now Ecomets have come to lime light(though not high, but not as worst in past).
Now in these application the mileage is getting comparable (and at times higher in certain regions). Coupled with recent up gradation of Ecomets to 1012 and 1212 -Smart and Strong, specifically suiting to rated load and over load with matching drive lines by AL, this has now started to sell better, steadily.
But the real essence should be how the market receives when the Avia range is launched.

Apart from all these its my view, many questions in market is like a myth - why certain products sell and why some doesn't.

AL is not able to replicate the same success they enjoy in bus with trucks.
Tata is not able to inch forward with Super ACE, though its predecessor Ace was the industry first and its a icon to tribute.
Mahindra is not able to penetrate heavy CV's as easily as in LCV's.

The only reason I understand is, when the customer group is changed the brand is a newer one and need be looked as a same successor in other segment unless otherwise the attempt is so serious.
Old 2nd June 2012, 22:33   #37
BHPian

While everyone here is wondering/contemplating about why this was registered in Chennai, the first thought I had is, why did they come all the way to Vagamon to test this. Its almost 620 kms away, and the roads or the climb is nothing different to any other hill station in TN. Not sure, but guys at AL must have wanted to mix business with pleasure.
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Tata is not able to inch forward with Super ACE, though its predecessor Ace was the industry first and its a icon to tribute.
I think it is TMs marketing failure. They were not able to differentiate Super ACE from ACE. By name most think it as another ACE with slightly different features. We could argue the target consumer is knowledgable enough, but the fact is for them Super ACE is nothing but another ACE, so why pay more. They should have given a different name and marketed as a new product instead of as an extention to the ACE series. Same mistake they did with Sumo Grande, Indigo Manza and Indica Vista. I am sure one day they will rectify this and target as competition to AL Dost.
Old 13th June 2012, 14:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
While everyone here is wondering/contemplating about why this was registered in Chennai, the first thought I had is, why did they come all the way to Vagamon to test this. Its almost 620 kms away, and the roads or the climb is nothing different to any other hill station in TN. Not sure, but guys at AL must have wanted to mix business with pleasure.
In Ashok Leyland(AL), Kerala is known as a hot market for ICVs..Tata, Mahindra, Eicher & Swaraj has been ruling the segment, leaving only small nos for AL. Hence it is natural that AL targets Kerala for a good volume of their new ICV..Probably that's why they came all the way from Chennai to test these new ICV's.. And not only that, AL conduct surveys on the go.. Probably they must have let some callused hands experience the vehicle..
Old 18th March 2013, 11:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this truck undergoing testing on the Chennai - Bangalore highway, somewhere between Vellore and Krishnagiri. We were returning from the WABCO track in Thiruvallur. My colleague who was in the passenger seat took the photo.

The truck was cruising effortestly at around 100 km/hr. Looked good.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop : Ashok Leyland Avia D120 spotted near Vagamon (South India)-wp_20130315_002.jpg  

Scoop : Ashok Leyland Avia D120 spotted near Vagamon (South India)-wp_20130315_003.jpg  

Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 21:15   #41
BHPian

A couple of these have been doing many rounds between Ashok Leyland Technical Centre in Villivayal Chavadi, Chennai and Hosur Unit - II for the past couple of months. Think they are trying to clock maximum miles before launch, which was supposed to happen last September-October. I think we can expect it in market by this September.
Old 28th March 2013, 14:12   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
The 22% MS is in the 2 to 2.5T segment.
This does not cover the segment where Ace and Maxximo are there. They are in the same category like Alto/800 and Dost is in slightly next level of WagonR/i10.

The competitors to Dost are Mahindra Bolero Maxx truck,Mahindra Bolero Pick up,Mahindra Genio, Tata Super Ace. Out of all these Genio only has a payload of 1.25T which is comparable with Dost and rest are lesser by few hundred kgs. Though this is not very obvious, for various other reasons like Mileage, better ergonomics (higher payload in a smaller vehicle) Dost is selling.

Sir I would like to bring it to your notice 2 more competitors: Tata 207 RX, Xenon RX. This apart from Hindustan Motor's SCV, Piaggio 4 wheeler, Premier Roadster as well as Force Trump are also vying for the pie of the next revolutionary market. DOST has definitely captured the market amazingly.

Coming back to the AVIA, it is a beautiful truck! I think I also saw one having a crew cab! But I guess the pricing front will be the key success factor as the competition is very tough with Eicher recently taking the crown from Tata in the LCV-ICV space. Even BB has launched their cargo applications. ALL must act quickly and make their move.
Old 28th March 2013, 16:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post

Sir I would like to bring it to your notice 2 more competitors: Tata 207 RX, Xenon RX. This apart from Hindustan Motor's SCV, Piaggio 4 wheeler, Premier Roadster as well as Force Trump are also vying for the pie of the next revolutionary market. DOST has definitely captured the market amazingl...
Agreed for the competition list. I was referring to major list of competitots. Infact now the Genio is also eliminated from the list and it has not made considerable sales.
Old 28th March 2013, 16:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

If I remember correctly, the European Avia uses Cummins B-5.9 engine. Any idea what engine AL is using?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks