Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 15:16   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ashok Leyland Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Ok, got it now....in this case, the OD lever would be separate from the main gear lever, right ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Yes I am one hundred percent sure. I noticed that sitting in that PTC Express bus before the bus reached Nagercoil of this uncommon-till-then gear change and after Nagercoil it was OD all the way during that night.
I also vividly remember the ad by AL on this feature soon afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Was the OD engaged by a separate gear-lever or was it integrated in the main lever itself ?
Due to the limitation in the constant mesh gear box, a seperate unit was fitted. To my knowledge that can be actuated seperately only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
AshLey sir, looks like lots of chrome and less of alloy! Looks like, is being typically made for our Polachi/Pazhani route "bling" buses.

Is this available as an option directly from AL or an aftermarket fitment?
This is the second bus running in Palani area with alloy wheels. First being the SRK between Palani-COimbatore. This is an aftermarket fitment.
Ashok Leyland Viking-dsc_3691.jpg
Image credit to dhadapani
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 15:35   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
This is the second bus running in Palani area with alloy wheels. First being the SRK between Palani-COimbatore. This is an aftermarket fitment.
Attachment 1017043 Attachment 1016835
Image credit to dhadapani
Both the rims seem to be of different design. The triangular shaped vents in one and rectangular in the other. Also the wheel bolt/nut region seems to be seperate like in the Volvo whereas in the other it is straight onto the wheel. But then, I prefer the SRK type wheel, less bling!

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 21st November 2012 at 15:36.
Old 21st November 2012, 17:13   #78
BHPian

On the subject of alloy rims, hope they are built to tolerate abuse from roadside puncture shops who sometimes use crowbars to pry open the tire from the rim. Or do they need sophisticated tire separator machines?
Old 21st November 2012, 18:28   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
On the subject of alloy rims, hope they are built to tolerate abuse from roadside puncture shops who sometimes use crowbars to pry open the tire from the rim. Or do they need sophisticated tire separator machines?
These are fitted with tubeless tyres. They require very less effort compared to tubed tyres. Apart from this the, primary advantage of alloy wheel in HCV's is reduced heat transmission to tyres from wheel disc / brake drum, and there by increasing the tyre life.
Old 21st November 2012, 21:17   #80
BHPian

Quote:
To me it looks like a typical steel wheel rims which are used with tubeless tyres.
Old 28th November 2012, 05:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also remember seeing the overdrive gear in AL buses of Pallavan Transport corporation Express buses plying between Trivandrum and Madras (erstwhile names of Thiruvananthapuram and Chennai) in 1973/74.
Do you remember a few TTC buses used to have a small button attached to the Gear Lever somewhere around late '80s' which used to be called the overtake button? The driver used to just pull the button to get some extra power for overtaking. Have seen those as a kid am not sure how the system used to work.
Old 29th November 2012, 05:52   #82
Senior - BHPian

Beats me why ASHOK LEYLAND is not updating their website, they have all BSIII models which cannot be sold in the Metros, and the same with TATA and even VOLVO
Old 17th April 2013, 14:20   #83
BHPian

Hello to all Fellow BHPians. This is my first comment in this forum. With respect to Viking and a 12M, with same specs, except the body length, it has been pointed out by a Senior Field Service manger with over 20 years of Experience, with AL, that the average Maintenance cost of both the buses, with similar mileage on board, on same route (here we are talking about kolkata - Siliguri route (680 km / 14 hrs ) x 300 days / year); the Viking had about 20-22% less maintenance cost compared to 12M bus (183Hp, EDC, weveler / rubber ended suspension, 10 R 20 - RADIAL / 10. X 20 --16 PR NYLON. tyres.

The reason given were as follows:
1. Longer body.
The front over hang in case of 222" viking is 1912, whereas in case of 12M, it is 2026. The difference being 114mm. So I do not know, whether the front overhang is the culprit!
The Rear overhang of viking is 3308 and for the 12M, its 3474. So a difference of 166mm extra. Whether that can be held responsible; I do not know. So the question of tyre wear out, faster on 12M, can only be analyzed by experts, provided the extra GVW can be a contributory factor. (gvw OF VIKING BEING - 14660 KG and 12m being 16200 kg.

The routine luggage carried by both the vehicles i.e. viking and 12M, being more or less. So was the passengers, as both had empty seats on weekdays.

2. The Mechanical, actuated Clutches and the Hydraulic, actuated clutches (the actions, and usefulness of which were so beautifully explained by Sir Ashley2.); were one main factor, for the cost to go up, in-case of 12M.

3. Another was the Brake lining of 12m being wider than viking, hence the replacement cost.

On being pressing further, The Senior Service Manger got lost, and was looking deep inside him to come out with plausible answers, which will actually support the actual report card which were distributed to all sales and technical teams of AL. I had no reason to doubt or question his observation.

Some of the observations in his report said about alternator, electrical, body, bolts etc, which when questioned and shown, were similar to each of two vehicles. So what other could be the factor.

Can the Seniors, take up these, and also some of the esteemed bus operators, to answer this single most important answer, for which I have postponed our buying decision of 12 nos. of 12M buses.

I have gained tremendous knowledge from this commercial vehicle forum, and want to pay back, my gratitude to all those who have contributed to my decision to go along with AL.

Cheers

dr.sen
Old 10th May 2013, 09:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday traveled in a KeSRTC Ashok Leyland and noticed six forward gears. Is this common these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Ashok Leyland Viking-photo0067.jpg  

Old 10th May 2013, 11:34   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday traveled in a KeSRTC Ashok Leyland and noticed six forward gears. Is this common these days.
The BS-III Vikings come with a 6+1 synchro-mesh gearbox
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 22:00   #86
BHPian

Seems KURTC will go for a good number of front engined leyland JanBus for the non ac buses in JNNURM2. I saw a Ashok leyland trail JanBus in TVM last week. Last time leyland suppled RE non ac buses and KSRTC was not satisfied by the low mileage and body build quality, if the media reports are to be believed.
Old 16th January 2015, 18:40   #87
BANNED

Hi,

Can anybody give information about the pricing of 2x1 air suspension, AC sleeper bus.

Thanks,
Sachin
Old 17th January 2015, 19:10   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarsw View Post
Hi,

Can anybody give information about the pricing of 2x1 air suspension, AC sleeper bus.

Thanks,
Sachin
Ashokleyland has 3 models to choose from, for AC option. Range starts from 17.5 lks for Viking 180hp and goes upto 20 lks for 12M CRS.

Body cost will be ~15 lks for AC provision and AC cost will be around 4.5 lks to 5 lks depending upon the make and model.
Old 17th January 2015, 19:13   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ashokleyland has 3 models to choose from, for AC option. Range starts from 17.5 lks for Viking 180hp and goes upto 20 lks for 12M CRS.
Body cost will be ~15 lks for AC provision and AC cost will be around 4.5 lks to 5 lks depending upon the make and model.
Any idea regarding the chassis price for a truck and a bus, with dimensions and engine configuration identical.
Old 17th January 2015, 20:15   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea regarding the chassis price for a truck and a bus, with dimensions and engine configuration identical.
Identitical model in AL will be 1616 and Viking powered by 160hp engine. GB, Rear axle, suspension are all slightly tweaked for chassis and incidentally Viking will be costlier by few thousand compared to 1616.
Similarly between LPO1512 and 1613 in TML.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks