Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 06:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

SCOOP: Bare-bones people-carrier found testing in Pune!

At the moment, I am not particularly sure about the identity of this vehicle. These shots sent in by a friend of mine doesn't reveal much either. What is clear is that this vehicle is definitely a basic people-carrier with the absence of doors on either sides being a dead give-away. The engine is placed at the rear which is evident by the openings in the camouflage. With no other information about it, my guess is that this could be Bajaj's auto-rickshaw replacement.

The reasoning for the guess is as follows:

1. This test vehicle was spotted testing in Chakan, Pune where Bajaj's manufacturing facility is located.
2. Looking at the pictures, the vehicle is tall and narrow, very similar to the Bajaj RE60 four-wheeler that was unveiled early this year.
3. Moreover, the shape, angle and positioning of the taillights that is visible through the camouflage are quite similar to those found in the RE60.

Assuming that this is indeed Bajaj's Auto-Rickshaw replacement based on the already-basic RE60 and compared to the three-wheelers dotting our city roads, the presence of a fourth wheel will bring in a host of advantages like added safety, stability, space and load-carrying capability.

SCOOP: Bare-bones people-carrier found testing in Pune!-fourwheeler-1.jpg
SCOOP: Bare-bones people-carrier found testing in Pune!-fourwheeler-2.jpg

But, my guess could be totally wrong too. With Mahindra and Tata also slugging it out in the basic people-carrier segment with the likes of Gio, Maxximo, Ace Magic and Magic Iris, they could end up springing a surprise as well.

It would be great if other BHPians can throw some light on this vehicle. I have posted this in my blog too with the same doubt lingering in my mind - ANYTHING ON WHEELS: Is this people-carrier Bajaj's Auto-Rickshaw replacement?.

Last edited by arvi86 : 11th May 2012 at 06:18.
arvi86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 07:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP: Bare-bones people-carrier found testing in Pune!

Wasnt MH14 temp reg for Mahindra vehicles as well?
Old 11th May 2012, 07:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Wasnt MH14 temp reg for Mahindra vehicles as well?
You are right. Most of the Mahindra test vehicles have MH 14 temp registration. It is only this vehicle's appearance and size that made me decide that it could be a Bajaj (after seeing that thing called RE60). As I stated in the opening post, I am still not sure about its correct identity though.
Old 11th May 2012, 07:44   #4
Team-BHP Support

Looking at the small bit of tail lamp that is visible makes me believe it is based on a Tata Magic Iris.
Old 11th May 2012, 09:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

Given the shape, I've a feeling it's the RE60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Looking at the small bit of tail lamp that is visible makes me believe it is based on a Tata Magic Iris.
The tyres seem too big for Tata Magic Iris; that's what makes me think it ain't that.
Old 11th May 2012, 15:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
But, my guess could be totally wrong too. With Mahindra and Tata also slugging it out in the basic people-carrier segment with the likes of Gio, Maxximo, Ace Magic and Magic Iris, they could end up springing a surprise as well.
Any idea of the sound it made if your friend heard it. It would definitely give out a clue about the make to a certain extent. The Iris / Gio would give out a loud PHAT PHAT note of a single cylinder whereas the Magic / Maxximo have a more muted and gruffy note of two cylinder engine. This would help in zeroing on a couple of these options.
Old 19th May 2012, 10:03   #7
BHPian

Thats the RE60 for sure.
satya180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 20:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Any idea of the sound it made if your friend heard it. It would definitely give out a clue about the make to a certain extent. The Iris / Gio would give out a loud PHAT PHAT note of a single cylinder whereas the Magic / Maxximo have a more muted and gruffy note of two cylinder engine. This would help in zeroing on a couple of these options.
I am sorry, but my friend who saw this vehicle hadn't noticed its exhaust note and so we don't have that clue. But, going by it's overall dimensions, I definitely feel that it is indeed the RE60. The article posted in Indian Autos Blog (given in the link below) confirms it too. This is the vehicle that I have posted.

Bajaj RE60 hides in the back of a truck - Spotted
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Given the shape, I've a feeling it's the RE60.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
Thats the RE60 for sure.
You are right. See my reply (and the link) above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks