Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 19:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

APSRTC is all set to conduct a trial run of three Chinese buses

Quote:
If you see a colourful, compact bus that emits no smoke in the crowded traffic of Hyderabad in the next couple of months, you are watching the future of city buses.
The country’s largest public transport service provider-Andhra Pradesh Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC)— is scouting for new options to reduce its manufacturing and operational cost. A viable solution it looks around for is how to cut down on the bus procurement and operational cost. The corporation has found that Chinese buses could do the trick.
These buses are said to be considerably cheaper. Moreover, they can be operated on rechargeable batteries. Each bus can accommodate 41 passengers. The corporation officials have decided to operate three buses on a trial basis initially to see their operational capabilities and response from public. If the trial run proves to be a successful the corporation will procure these buses in large numbers. China- based Foton company is the producer of these buses.
Source & Full Article : Postnoon

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2012 at 15:11. Reason: Keeping fair usage practices in mind, it is best to include an excerpt + link to full article
Ashley2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 22:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: APSRTC is all set to conduct a trial run of three Chinese buses

what APSRTC is looking for are Battery operated buses, Tata and AL already makes hybrid buses. Why wont they run these on trial first? Frankly, they want to experiment with a Chinese bus? I guess the decision makers have not heard the KingLong horror stories from Mumbai.

Last edited by teamveevee : 8th June 2012 at 22:37.
Old 8th June 2012, 22:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I am really looking forward to these buses. IF it can be a hit in the market, nothing like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
what APSRTC is looking for are Battery operated buses, Tata and AL already makes hybrid buses. Why wont they run these on trial first? Frankly, they want to experiment with a Chinese bus? I guess the decision makers have not heard the KingLong horror stories from Mumbai.
Indian Manufacturers like to copy from foreign mannufacturers. Tatas & ALs launched competing buses only after Volvo became favorite in the market. Hyundai was the pioneer to launch "all AC" models way back in 99, then marutis and tatas followed suit.

KingLong catches fires often is one side of the story. The second side of the story is they are hardly maintained. BEST does NOT follow the maintenance schedule of these buses. Over a period of time they have detoriated. This is synonymous with good examples of Innova running trouble free at 3,00,000 kms and also think black smoke emitting rickety innovas at 50,000 kms. It all boils down to maintenance.
Old 9th June 2012, 10:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

It's a good thing that APSRTC is doing something that will not only benefit passengers but also the environment.

However, I have my reservations about how successful the implementation of these buses will be. Will the battery operated engine generate enough power to pull through the ghats - esp. with a full load of passengers and a/c?

Saving costs - fine; but in the overall picture, will using/recharging batteries be less harmful than a diesel powered engine?

How reliable is this technology - esp. considering the Indian flair for jugaad and lack of importance on maintenance?

How feasible will changing batteries mid-way thru' the journey be?
Old 9th June 2012, 11:20   #5
BHPian

I honestly do not understand on what basis people say that the use of battery charged vehicles can cut down pollution and carbon footprints. First of all, it is the most basic aspect to consider where the electricity comes from?

The power station!! Which itself is using non-renewable sources of energy like coal, not very unlike our own fuel guzzlers. Therefore, it follows that the amount of atmospheric pollution saved by using battery operated vehicles is compensated by the pollution causes by the power station which generates the electricity we use to charge the same batteries. In the end, its all part of the same loop..

Besides, common parameters for electric cars are 80-100 km on a single charge, and as mentioned above, it is 200 km for a bus. That means these vehicles need to be charged on a daily basis, and with each charging session taking anything upward of 3-4 hours at least, it is consuming huge amounts of electricity. Thus from the pollution point of view, petrol/diesel or battery, it finally boils down to the same thing.

A study of pollution in 34 Chinese cities has found that the electricity generated by power stations to drive electric vehicles leads to more fine particle emissions than petrol-powered transport.

Here is the link for the same.

In my opinion, following are the things which can have a realistic impact on saving the planet:

1. Sensible thinking by citizens, choosing to walk or cycle over short distances rather than using motor vehicles for the same.
2. Sacrificing the love for speed, power and luxury and choosing to opt for more economic vehicles instead. What I really mean is rather than choosing a Honda Accord, one may drive a less luxurious Nissan Sunny, thus resulting in higher economy rather than showing off class. I accept that many will disagree with this fact, but it just that this makes a lot more sense to me.
3. Truly alternate fuel vehicles. This includes bio-fuel or solar powered vehicles.

Opinions/suggestions/contradictions are most welcome.
swarnava.m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 12:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

In a power deficit country, it might not be that wise to run battery charged vehciles.

But then if the operating costs are reduced by 30%, doesnt it mean that its positive in some aspects? If it costs less, then isn't the energy footprint lesser by that amount.

Maybe its because of the skewed pricing of fuels in this country which might make such things advantageous. But nevertheless if the commuter has to pay less, its worth it.

Its common sense that power generation anywhere would result in pollution, but just take Karnataka where close to 50% of power (during better storage) comes through hydro electric, then its not true to say electric powered automobiles are causing pollution at some point (even with factories producing batteries, its disposal etc).

So we should look at how much coal really is used and where before summarily sweeping off such efforts.
Old 9th June 2012, 15:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
FOTON is planning to bring their buses too? Why aren't they using the same manufaturing facility as that planned for the trucks?
Old 9th June 2012, 16:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
APSRTC is a large scale bus museum and an active test centre for all the manufacturers. In this case I will definitely blame only APSRTC where in they dont do any kind of preliminary test and go for order with just looking the demo coaches.

They need not hear horror stories from Mumbai, they have their own tales to tell. Many of the Cerita's are off road till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I am really looking forward to these buses. IF it can be a hit in the market, nothing like that.

KingLong catches fires often is one side of the story. The second side of the story is they are hardly maintained. BEST does NOT follow the maintenance schedule of these buses. Over a period of time they have detoriated. This is synonymous with good examples of Innova running trouble free at 3,00,000 kms and also think black smoke emitting rickety innovas at 50,000 kms. It all boils down to maintenance.
No Bharath, this is definitely not true about Cerita. They did not live upto bare min expectations. They were able to penetrate the market initially but with poor show they were taken off.
Not only Best but there are operators like Parveen, Kesineni who initially taken them and later realised the problems. To my knowledge Cerita is no more in India.

But incidentally Kinglong is world's second largest bus maker in last year followed by Daimler, AL and Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
How reliable is this technology - esp. considering the Indian flair for jugaad and lack of importance on maintenance?

How feasible will changing batteries mid-way thru' the journey be?
This is where a real test for products lie. They are 10+1 in India and will not be treated specially. If to be told properly we can say they are not suited to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
FOTON is planning to bring their buses too? Why aren't they using the same manufaturing facility as that planned for the trucks?
Are'nt they using the same location - Pune?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks