Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 13:22   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Xenon Crew-Cab launched : The Downgraded variant of Xenon XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Its not about money - just botheration - we had 2 such utility vehicles with lapsed papers but R 1 per Km - I am unable to understand completely
Well, I think the Super Ace or Dost will give about 15-16kmpl, while the Genio/Xenon are likely to be in the 10-12 range. Both values in city usage, and will rise for highway usage.

Anyway, taking these values and price of diesel at 55rs/L, you get a running cost of 3.5rs per km for the Super Ace/Dost and about 5rs for the Genio/Xenon.

Thus, you save 1.5rs per km of running for the Super Ace or Dost. I had given the previous value of 1rs per km just as an approximation.

It is obvious actually. All these vehicles we are talking about have an official payload of about 1-1.25tons. But while the gross weight of a Super Ace/Dost is about 2tons, that of a Genio/Xenon is closer to 3tons. Thus you are burning fuel to lug around an extra one ton.

The main advantages of something like a Xenon/Genio are:

1. Bigger load body for voluminous goods in case of the single cab version. I assume bearings are not exactly voluminous goods.

2. Ability to carry 5-6 people along with goods, in case of crew cab version. Again not required in your case.

3. Much more agreeable to overloading, thanks to big engines with loads of torque and other more heavy duty components. Your payload requirement is a doddle for vehicles like these.

Thus you are basically going to lug around one ton of vehicle but get no advantage of that at all.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 21:31   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
Some more photos with ATC 17" Alloy Wheels. I haven't seen Xenon with such big wheels yet, most of the regular ones are with 15" and 16" versions.
Thanks for this update.

I too want some broader rubber for my Xenon XT. (MRF Wanderer 265/65/17)

AFAIK most 17" 160pcd alloys available are in negative offset design which causes tyre to foul with fender flare at front the mud flap area.

Please share your alloy specs & price. (width & offset)

Also can you take some pics of front bull bar bracket. (to understand how its fitted.)

rgds,
Nikhil
Old 18th August 2013, 22:16   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post

I too want some broader rubber for my Xenon XT. (MRF Wanderer 265/65/17)

AFAIK most 17" 160pcd alloys available are in negative offset design which causes tyre to foul with fender flare at front the mud flap area.

Please share your alloy specs & price. (width & offset)

Also can you take some pics of front bull bar bracket. (to understand how its fitted.)

rgds,
Nikhil
Sedans have big dia rims and low profile tyres. On the other hand SUVs must have small dia rims and huge side profile tyres. Have seen pics of some of these American SUVs/Pick-ups, with deep-dish glistening chrome rims so small in dia that they appear burried in very very high profile tyres. I think Xenon will look great in 10 inch rims shod with huge side profile tyres. Why not try that? If this combo is not available in India, try something closer. I'm sure result would be great. You said 265 mm wide tyres scrape. How about 255? Will it scrape too?
Old 20th August 2013, 22:13   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
You said 265 mm wide tyres scrape. How about 255? Will it scrape too?
IMO it will scrape if we use high negative offset rim.

See the following pics.

Tata Xenon Crew-Cab launched : The Downgraded variant of Xenon XT-xenon.jpg
chopped fender & more.
Tata Xenon Crew-Cab launched : The Downgraded variant of Xenon XT-xenon2.jpg

Tata Xenon Crew-Cab launched : The Downgraded variant of Xenon XT-xenon3.jpg

Tata Xenon Crew-Cab launched : The Downgraded variant of Xenon XT-xenon4.jpg

& my Xenon XT.
Tata Xenon Crew-Cab launched : The Downgraded variant of Xenon XT-dsc04767.jpg

As you can see the both the width & diameter of the tyre is a limiting factor in Xenon.

Stock size of the xenon is 205/80/16 .

So (IMO) with zero offset rims you can put 265/65/17. (ex. TurboDiesel's xenon)

& with high negative offset you can only use tyre with 26"~27" of overall diameter.

See this chart.
Tata Xenon Crew-Cab launched : The Downgraded variant of Xenon XT-chart-x.jpg

if you search Xenon XT in google you can find large number of pics of Xenon with relatively small low profile tyres.

Xenon with 295/50/15 tyres.
Tata Xenon Crew-Cab launched : The Downgraded variant of Xenon XT-xenon-5.jpg
This looks like 16" rim.

rgds,
Nikhil

Source: Facebook , Google.

Last edited by jeepster : 20th August 2013 at 22:22.
jeepster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 13:57   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post

Stock size of the xenon is 205/80/16 .
205? I think stock width is 235 mm. I mean for XT. If underpinnings of XT and the commercial crew-cab are same then , 235 can be fitted onto crew-cab. BTW, which is better thing-- fitting 255/265 width on zero off-set rim OR stock 235 mm on negative-offset rim. I don't want to talk about rim size and side profile because the sum total of side profile and rim size has to be kept closest to stock overall wheel dia.

The last pic Xenon looks great. Too bad if this combo scrapes, too.
Old 27th August 2013, 18:25   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

I heard the AC and power windows have been removed from the crew cab. Anyone got more info on these new changes?
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:05   #112
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
Today got delivery of my Tata Xenon crew -cab 3.0L DICOR in black color
Black!! But how? The commercial vehicle dealer whcih sells xenon crew cab says (even the brochure says so) only four colors are vailable-white, silver, blue and red, but no black. How could you source a black in xenon crew cab 3.0L. How is the ride with tough cv suspension?
Old 27th September 2013, 15:11   #113
BHPian

I have booked a black Xenon crew cab. The colours available were Black, White, Silver and Maroon. During the test drive I felt the rear was light and bouncy. On hard braking, the rear even stepped out. I asumed that was also due to a light rear end. I hope it gets resolved with beter tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I heard the AC and power windows have been removed from the crew cab. Anyone got more info on these new changes?
AC and Power steering are present in the 2 cabin version BSIII. The BS IV version might not have it.

Last edited by Zappo : 27th September 2013 at 15:54. Reason: No back to back posts please. Use the edit button in the first 20 mins of posting.
Old 27th September 2013, 16:00   #114
Team-BHP Support

This is how Tata Crew cab will look in Australia as a lifestyle vehicle. Tata's have got this developed for that market and call it the Tuff Truck Concept.

Tata Xenon Crew-Cab launched : The Downgraded variant of Xenon XT-tatatufftruckconcept2.jpg Tata Xenon Crew-Cab launched : The Downgraded variant of Xenon XT-tatatufftruckconcept5.jpg

Source: CarAdvice

Last edited by Zappo : 27th September 2013 at 16:04.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 18:56   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerByHeart View Post
AC and Power steering are present in the 2 cabin version BSIII. The BS IV version might not have it.
Really? I test drove the BS3 version couple of days back and it didn't have AC or PW (Had PS). Dealer was pretty confident in saying the website is wrong!

No wonder TATA is in such a mess!

Do update us on your ownership once you get yours
Old 2nd October 2013, 17:57   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
One of my question as in original post of someone can answer - is it legal to carry goods in non commercial Company registered vehicle by maintaining Log book ??
If the good you are carrying are classified for "personal consumption" then it is fine - similar to taking things from a Metro store to your house in your sedan or hatch. You may be stopped when cross checkposts on a white board with items packed in huge cartons or gunny bags.

I am not a legal expert but this is from my experience of having being questioned on carrying a ton of things in my Marina with all seats folded when crossing between Kerala and TN border.
Old 2nd October 2013, 18:05   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
A Genio or a Xenon Crew cab seems overkill for your payload/volume requirements.
Yes, I agree.

Xenon will perfectly fit those who want to ferry their bikes or ATVs to the tracks or do a tailgate party over the weekends, while using it for hauling things like over sized goods as part of work on weekday (or leave it in the garage if feeling guilty to driving solo to work when we pay huge import bills for our oil consumption).
Old 16th December 2013, 13:34   #118

I am considering buying the xenon crew cab a second car the reasons I am considering it is xenon XT is overpriced and only offering abs & 4*4 the 2.2 engine over the crew cab the price difference between the two about 6 lakh + is not justified by these additions. However my question would be can the crew cab with its 2WD and Lsd take me to that once in a blue moon trip to Ladhakh relatively trouble free. Any other suggestions regarding the crew cab helping me to take a decision are also welcome.
Old 17th December 2013, 11:07   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmonkee View Post
I am considering buying the xenon crew cab a second car the reasons I am considering it is xenon XT is overpriced and only offering abs & 4*4 the 2.2 engine over the crew cab the price difference between the two about 6 lakh + is not justified by these additions. However my question would be can the crew cab with its 2WD and Lsd take me to that once in a blue moon trip to Ladhakh relatively trouble free. Any other suggestions regarding the crew cab helping me to take a decision are also welcome.
mate,
There is a total difference between Xenon and Xenon XT. The Xenon comes with 3 liter engine and the XT comes with the super refined 2.2 liter Engine. One of the best engines in Country today for SUV class (affordable for masses). It has awesome power and huge torque when compared to Xenon. Go for the XT if you can afford it. Also has some wonderful features like the ABS with EBD and sorely misses an Airbag at that price tag.

Would say one of the cheapest 4*4 available right now if you are keen to have one. however it does have its limitations so do weigh them well before deciding on it. You might want to have a look at the Getaway as well but that comes with a relatively older engine.
Old 17th December 2013, 13:17   #120

I know there is a lot of difference in the XT and the crew cab but the price 12 lakh is not justified for XT whereas the price of 7.2 lakh on road for the crew cab is well within my reach and I feel is well justified for its features . If I opt for the crew cab what I loose is a 2.2 lit engine, abs, 4*4 but it leaves me with 5 lakh additional in my pocket. What I ask are these three features worth spending 5 lakh for this makes-no-sense-car. Or would I achieve my purpose by buying economical crew cab. I am going for a TD today will let you guys know.

I am not going for the getaway because I don't like the looks at all and I don't have any use as such for the load Bay. The major reason for considering the xenon are the looks alone.

P. s I wish I could buy the crew cab with abs and airbags that would solve all my problems.
wrenchmonkee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed