Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2012, 13:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: KSRTC Launches Airavat Bliss & Superia: With Pantry and Toilet. Will they succeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I have a question to the CV gurus here though. Why weren't these buses introduced on longer routes, which require the toilets more frequently like the BLR-BOM route for example?
BLR-Chennai and BLR-Tirupati are hardly 6 hour routes where people usually do not feel the need for a toilet compared to BLR-BOM for example.
I can think of quite a few reasons:
  1. May be they are testing the market and hence want to keep the turnaround time of these buses shorter for operational losses within control
  2. Most likely these services will be non-stop not requiring the buses to stop for chai-pani. 2 drivers onboard pantry and loo. Destination to destination lowest travel time.
  3. Long haul like BLR-BOM will definitely benefit but I think its the controlling losses that has made KSRTC to run short services first.
Cheers
MileCruncher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 13:55   #17
BHPian

Re: KSRTC Launches Airavat Bliss & Superia: With Pantry and Toilet. Will they succeed

I would say it should be successful with the pricing and KSRTC's service levels.

On the shorter routes instead of longer routers - these (Chennai and Tirupati) routes has large volume and it won't burn their pocket even if this fails (which might not be the case)!

Quote:
Both of them, KSRTC claims, are a country first.
I doubt this is the first in this buses but may be first among the government run bus corporations. Since - Olivea has both Toilet and Pantry services and I guess Wifi too (not sure though).

Last edited by maheshramaling : 18th July 2012 at 13:57.
Old 18th July 2012, 13:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have a question to the CV gurus here though. Why weren't these buses introduced on longer routes, which require the toilets more frequently like the BLR-BOM route for example?
BLR-Chennai and BLR-Tirupati are hardly 6 hour routes where people usually do not feel the need for a toilet compared to BLR-BOM for example.
I dont know about Bangy-Tirupathi, but for sure, Bangy-Chennai is KSRTC's one of the most revenue generating routes, if not the top-most. It is wise to test any introductions in this route first, and moreover, its quite common for people to take a break during a 6 hour drive. Its scientifically proven, that its better if the driver takes a break after 4hours of continuous drive. Moreover, these services will be very helpful for female travellers, who dont have to leave the safety of the bus during tea breaks in some remote hotels/motels.

Moreso, you open KSRTC online booking and try booking a bus for tonight or mostly on weekends, if you manage to get a seat, you are lucky. Between bangy-chennai, let KSRTC even launch a Airbus A380 size bus, I am sure it will run at its full capacity.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 18th July 2012 at 14:02.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 14:03   #19
BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

With all this KaSRTC hype, people have forgotten that in addition to Olivea, another private operator Bethlehem Transports is running a similar service with all the facilities advertised on a multi axle Merc between Trivandrum and Chennai. A few days back saw this bus at the Koyambedu Omni bus terminus. They dont charge as high as Olivea but the configuration is I understand similar to KaSRTC.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Excellent KSRTC. The toilet more than the pantry was one of the most sought after one by passengers especially women. This has been one of the main reason women opted to travel by train than a bus since they could not find a good place on the way or if there was an emergency in between.

Though this facility has been feasible due to the type of buses available now such as Volvo multiaxles, it was not introduced in mass scale and by any RTC till now.

The pantry facility is a good add on but may not be a major draw since most of these routes are short distance and passenger would have finished their dinner breaks before the journey itself. This facility may come in use in long distance runs (BLR - MUM)

The icing on the case is however the pricing, seems like KSRTC has an introductory pricing with just a bump of 50 bucks. Really good since this pricing may just be to cover the expenses of lost row of seats due to the addition of the two facilities and not more.

Now will they succeed is something that time will tell (may get more popular with women travellers) but at these prices it is really not a huge bump on our wallets. Looking forward to do a journey in these rides. Anyone who have travelled already are welcome to provide your experince for us all.

Last edited by girishglg : 18th July 2012 at 14:08.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 14:17   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
I would say it should be successful with the pricing and KSRTC's service levels.
I doubt this is the first in this buses but may be first among the government run bus corporations. Since - Olivea has both Toilet and Pantry services and I guess Wifi too (not sure though).
I too feel it will not fail, however what is crucial here is...*

And yes, I believe this is a first by a public sector operator, which nonetheless is very very commendable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Excellent KSRTC. The toilet more than the pantry was one of the most sought after one by passengers especially women.
Girish, my only doubt here is...*

*...maintenance. This can be the single biggest reason of this step failing to succeed. You see, in aircraft, the chemical toilets used are of the best possible quality and their maintenance too is A+, yet, I ve flown in aircraft where the toilet stinks, at least inside.

In a bus though, it is a different story. Buses are not as wide as aircraft, all the passengers might not have toilet etiquette and most of all, maintaining them hygienically can be a real challenge going by the standards of cleanliness at our bus stands.

If the toilets are not cleaned, they can also result in the bus smelling foul, contamination etc, which can be very dissuading to passengers.

In fact, when I told my wife about this launch today morning, her first reaction was "People, especially ladies, do not bother to flush the toilet even at places like KFC and McD's, how can you expect the toilet to be usable in our buses?"

Last edited by n.devdath : 18th July 2012 at 14:19.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 14:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

I guess this must be on the trial basis, they must be wanting to evaluating the response to the new Buses and facilties and if successful then introduce to the long distance ones.

But I feel this is good initiatve from KSRTC and in the coming days we can expect much features to be added. I wish MSRTC would take a cue from them and introduce on special routes like Nashik, Shirdi, Goa etc.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
*...maintenance. This can be the single biggest reason of this step failing to succeed. You see, in aircraft, the chemical toilets used are of the best possible quality and their maintenance too is A+, yet, I ve flown in aircraft where the toilet stinks, at least inside.
that this is a major concern and KSRTC hopefully should have an answer to that by making arrangements to clean them at least after every journey else it would be really bad.

As far as the quality of the toilets go, they look really as good as the aircraft ones at least in the pics.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post2843344

Lets hope the people who would benefit the most (women) also help it keep clean enough since they have far lesser options compared to this secured and convenient one on the go.

On a lighter note, there should be Etiquette drill before the bus starts just like a safety procedure one before a flight takes off. Hehe

Now the etiquette part KSRTC cannot do nothing about it right if people foul it up . Hope they maintain it in other times at least.

Last edited by girishglg : 18th July 2012 at 14:31.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Airavat Bliss: This category has a chemical toilet
Having a toilet makes it 100 times more inviting to travel long distances in such buses. One of the main reasons I avoid these Volvos is the lack of a toilet inside.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
With all this KaSRTC hype, people have forgotten that in addition to Olivea, another private operator Bethlehem Transports is running a similar service with all the facilities advertised on a multi axle Merc between Trivandrum and Chennai. A few days back saw this bus at the Koyambedu Omni bus terminus. They dont charge as high as Olivea but the configuration is I understand similar to KaSRTC.
The Multi axle fare for Trivandrum - Chennai is from Rs. 1000 (Universal) to Rs. 1150 where as Bethlehem Transports charge a little premium fare of Rs. 1400.

Regarding Bangalore-Chennai, if I am given an option to chose between KaSRTC and Olivea, I may chose KaSRTC's low fare against Olivea's business class seats. No expectatoins on Olivia to reduce fares as they have less number of seats (though they are paying less tax)
Old 18th July 2012, 14:59   #26
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Quote:

Girish, my only doubt here is

*maintenance.
+1 to your comment. Whilst the toilets can be a big draw if maintained clean n hygenic, it can also put off people very soon. APSRTC did introduce a few buses with toilets on Hyd - Mumbai and Hyd- Shirdi routes a few years back and grounded them soon . I have used buses in UK which have toilets, Oxford Tube for instance, on a 2 hour London Oxford journey.. They operate double decker buses with a toilet on the lower deck.. These are maintained immaculately and the users make sure the toilets are kept clean and dry. With Indians' penchant for water in washrooms, I am quite pessimistic about these remaining clean.. And it is not hard to imagine the impact of excess water flowing into the bus gangway and below the seats if the toilets end up becoming like the (in)famous Indian Railways !!! Lets see how it goes.

Quote:
I would assume they are testing waters with this - on a 6 hour leg not all passengers would use the loo and hence, teething issues could be minimal.. If these were tested on 18 hour journeys where all the 40+ passengers would use it, then it will become mayhem.. Also, for long journeys KSRTC should have interim arrangements for cleaning enroute (assuming the conductor will not be cleaning the toilets too). This is not needed for short hauls. So if they find it successful my guess is the long haul buses (Mumbai / Pune / Trivandrum / Goa) will also be loo-equipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Yes, Olivea offers Wifi and toilets.. Even amongst govt buses, APSRTC had buses with toilets. The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh / Visakhapatnam News : Diesel price hike hits APSRTC

So therefore it is definitely not the first in buses in India.

Quote:
The icing on the case is however the pricing, seems like KSRTC has an introductory pricing with just a bump of 50 bucks. Really good since this pricing may just be to cover the expenses of lost row of seats due to the addition of the two facilities and not more.

Now will they succeed is something that time will tell (may get more popular with women travellers) but at these prices it is really not a huge bump on our wallets. Looking forward to do a journey in these rides. Anyone who have travelled already are welcome to provide your experince for us all.
What you have said is correct, but then, it again boils down to who uses the toilet and the accompanying hygiene related issues. Olivea has managed to keep toilets clean because their buses have 21 seats (as against 40+ in the Airavat Bliss) and tickets are premium priced resulting in only few people using the bus.. With KaSRTC's pricing, the Airavat Bliss will attract any Volvo user (hence no longer restricted to the premium user) and this brings with it the question of cleanliness. I would have preferred if these buses were priced at a premium with lesser seats thereby giving passengers more luxury and comfort. A B9R with 20-25 seats on a 2+1 config with toilets and priced 50% more than the Normal Club Class would have been a best-seller. Esp on routes like Blr - Mumbai, Blr - Pune where air fares have skyrocketed and hence lot more people will prefer these luxury buses. Also, with lesser number of passengers, maintenance will not be such a headache as it could become in the present form. I will wait and watch before trying this service - the last thing anyone will want is a bus that is foul-smelling, and water running out of the toilets into the main cabin !!!

Last edited by GTO : 19th July 2012 at 16:58. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Old 18th July 2012, 15:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
I will wait and watch before trying this service - the last thing anyone will want is a bus that is foul-smelling, and water running out of the toilets into the main cabin !!!
Thankfully the toilets are at a lower level as compared to the seating area. So, water flowing into the gangway is ruled out. May be we should be ready to see a "well" inside the bus.
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 15:48   #28

Quote:
KSRTC, India's largest State owned fleet operator, and probably the most profitable too, ...
Hi Devdath, KSRTC is not India's largest state owned fleet operator. APSRTC is the largest fleet operator under one roof which also holds a guinness record for the same. Look at the following article From Albion to Volvo and also look at the APSRTC website where they display the icon (Earlier they used to display the certificate also).

Probably KSRTC has the largest fleet of volvo buses.

Regarding the buses with toilet, KSRTC has started such a volvo service long back but it never worked out. Later they got the toilets removed at a later point of time and diverted some of the buses to do rounds between BLR - Mysore. I have travelled in one of these buses. Toilet is in the middle of the bus at a slightly lower level than the seats and the seats next to the toilet on the opposite side of the aisle used to be single seats. Have to wait and watch whether they will succeed this time or not.

Regards
Sreekanth
Old 18th July 2012, 16:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In a bus though, it is a different story. Buses are not as wide as aircraft, all the passengers might not have toilet etiquette and most of all, maintaining them hygienically can be a real challenge going by the standards of cleanliness at our bus stands.

If the toilets are not cleaned, they can also result in the bus smelling foul, contamination etc, which can be very dissuading to passengers.

In fact, when I told my wife about this launch today morning, her first reaction was "People, especially ladies, do not bother to flush the toilet even at places like KFC and McD's, how can you expect the toilet to be usable in our buses?"
There was a "Garuda" Bus from APSRTC with toilets (BLR-HYD) and it really does not make a pleasant experience. I concur with your spouse's statement. Average Indian Junta is NOT matured enough to use toilets in Buses, Trains et all. I see people "shave beards" and take "bath" in Trains, while the toilets are purely meant for call of nature only. What is the guarantee it would not be repeated in Bus toilets.

Quote:
making arrangements to clean them at least after every journey else it would be really bad.
Lets hope the people who would benefit the most (women) also help it keep clean enough since they have far lesser options compared to this secured and convenient one on the go.
Now the etiquette part KSRTC cannot do nothing about it right if people foul it up. Hope they maintain it in other times at least.
KSRTC can clean it but i hope people also take equal care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Having a toilet makes it 100 times more inviting to travel long distances in such buses. One of the main reasons I avoid these Volvos is the lack of a toilet inside.
Adding a toilet gives me one more reason NOT to use this bus. I am sure it would stink. I prefer the conventional Airavat bus which stops for toilet mid-way.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 16:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

A bit of history: in 1977the other KSRTC (Kerala) ran a notorious bus service which had toilet facilities primarily because it was a non-stop service, doing the Trivandrum-Cochin run in 4 hours flat in those days - a feat only equalled by the former Chief Minister K Karunakaran's equally infamous official Mercedes Benz.

The buses were called Terraplane and they were banned from the roads (by court order). because the drivers ran in true non-stop mode - they didn't stop for anything, including pedestrians. In any case the service was also unviable because it was almost exclusively patronised and over-booked by MLAs and non-paying government officials.
Steeroid is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed