Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 16:00   #241
BHPian

Re: B.E.S.T. buses - Painting Mumbai RED!

May be I am too foolish to ask, but, why was there no action taken on the guys who purchased these fake buses in the first place and broke the BEST organization financially also causing a huge loss to the exchequer which is after all tax payer's money ?

Off course since this a government organization nobody won't give a damn about brand reputation and the prestige that BEST once carried. Any private firm in such a scenario would have indulged and splurged on a massive brand building exercise.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 20th April 2017, 17:49   #242
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
What he probably meant is, since the buses are shorter in length, they are easy to manoeuvre in traffic and will reach the destinations quicker thus allowing more trips per day.
I frequently travel in the regular size BEST bus as well as the mini bus. No doubt the mini buses will be easier to manage in traffic but the pick up & performance isn't great which is expected. I often see the regular size buses overtaking me when i'm in the mini bus.
Old 20th April 2017, 18:54   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
May be I am too foolish to ask, but, why was there no action taken on the guys who purchased these fake buses in the first place and broke the BEST organization financially also causing a huge loss to the exchequer which is after all tax payer's money ?
We can safely forget all hopes of that happening ever. That is not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I frequently travel in the regular size BEST bus as well as the mini bus. No doubt the mini buses will be easier to manage in traffic but the pick up & performance isn't great which is expected. I often see the regular size buses overtaking me when i'm in the mini bus.
The AC Midi buses (if they ever materialise) will be different from non AC ones. Making guesses about their performance based on the non AC MIDIs is therefore not accurate.

Last edited by AkMar : 20th April 2017 at 18:55.
Old 20th April 2017, 19:51   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post

Regards
Dieseltuned
1. Everyone made money on the deal
2. The chap had a lot of benefactors cutting across party lines
3. Corruption in India is rarely punished, regardless of who's in power

A banker in Singapore was telling me about the money the particular gent has stashed there. Its mind boggling
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 12:35   #245
Senior - BHPian

The first batch of new buses will be inaugurated today evening at Wadala depot. BEST has received 75 of the 303 buses ordered.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 11:56   #246
BHPian

New AC buses to ply from Bandra station-BKC from Thursday

MUMBAI: BEST will ply the new white with yellow stripes AC buses between Bandra station and BKC from Thursday morning.
"The AC bus will run on an experimental basis and cater to the huge office crowds during peak hours," an official said, adding that the purpose was to get feedback on the proposed new colours. Commuters can send their feedback on the new-look BEST buses to probestundertaking@gmail.com, the official stated.

Full Story

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/58387341.cms
Old 16th May 2017, 12:11   #247
Senior - BHPian

BEST has resumed its harakiri. They have cancelled order for 118 Tata buses. Now they will procure only 185 buses instead of 303 as planned earlier. They have stated lack of funds, delayed deliveries & improper finishing of body as the reason. I am sure that lack of funds is the actual reason, delay in delivery & improper finishing are likely to be cover ups.

Quote:
The management of Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) has planned to scrap the order for 118 buses from Tata Motors due to lack of funds.

The undertaking will only procure 185 new buses of a total 303 buses which were earlier to be bought from the company. The total cost of these buses is Rs 90 crore.

The undertaking has planned to scarp at least 118 buses after they sent a letter to Tata Motors last week. “Already the company has delayed sending the buses by more than six months. We also mentioned in the letter about the presence of cracks on the aluminum body of these buses,” said Sanjay Bhagwat, Additional General Manager of BEST.

The undertaking had earlier planned to procure 303 such buses from Tata Motors at Rs 51 lakh each in next four months.

Sources from BEST said the decision was taken to scrap these buses due to lack of funds. The civic body has decided to provide the undertaking with Rs 100 crore for its financial revival.

Out of this, Rs 10 crore will be used by the undertaking to procure electric buses.
Free Press Journal

Quote:
The purchase order for 118 of 303 high-tech buses for BEST was cancelled on Thursday. The undertaking is unhappy with "faulty designs" of the body of initially delivered buses, the manufacturer has delayed deliveries and it has sanctioned civic funds for only 185 buses.
At the committee meeting on Thursday afternoon, BEST panel member Ravi Raja demanded that the administration seek an explanation from the manufacturer for the delays. It is learnt that 75 buses have been delivered, of which at least 30 are plying. "We should impose a penalty on the manufacturer for the delivering delay and few faults in the body. This is uncalled for," he said.
Additional general manager Sanjay Bhagwat told the panel he too was unhappy with the new buses. He stated that the aluminium body had "improper finishing". "We have told the manufacturer to rectify the fault at the earliest. We want the buses to be in good condition and last for 15 years. Also, we have sanctioned funds of Rs 90 crore from the civic corporation and can procure only 185 buses now. Since we are unhappy with the delay and the interiors, we decided to cancel the purchase order for the remaining 118," he stated.
BEST has also decided to scrap 50 old buses of the same manufacturer due to "chronic failure of chassis". The proposal to scrap the buses came up for clearance at the meeting.
Times of India

Quote:
The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) will be receiving only 185 of the 303 new buses it had ordered from Tata Motors, as the undertaking has cancelled the order for 118 buses citing delay in delivery.

The administration informed its decision to BEST committee, the policy-making body of the century-old undertaking, on Thursday. BEST is supposed to spent Rs90 crore it received from the civic body for purchasing new buses.

However, Ravi Raja, senior Congress leader on BEST panel, alleged that the administration cancelled the order after the civic body refused to allot more funds for the project.

“The BEST management cancelled the order because its parent organisation, the BMC, refused to allot funds more than Rs90 crore,” said Raja. He also slammed the BEST administration for keeping the panel in the dark about the cancellation.
Hindustan Times
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:36   #248
Senior - BHPian

Why cant BEST buy fully built units from Ashok Leyland or (Tata, Bharat Benz)? NMMT, TMT and MBMT use these buses with absolutely zero "chronic chassis failure".
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:22   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Why cant BEST buy fully built units from Ashok Leyland or (Tata, Bharat Benz)? NMMT, TMT and MBMT use these buses with absolutely zero "chronic chassis failure".
More the contractors , More the contracts, more the money to be minted. Isn't it ?

Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 19:15   #250
BHPian

Mumbai’s BEST is damaged, resurrect and renew it
Through rain and shine, BEST’s network of nearly 3,500 buses ply across 450-480 routes

A good article in HT

http://www.hindustantimes.com/mumbai...vZhplOWtM.html
Old 16th November 2017, 20:41   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Thane's TMT has been using some very nice rear-engined, automatic-transmission, non-AC, low-floor fully built buses from Ashok Leyland. Very good build quality, excellent pulling power, and runs quite silent. I've been traveling by these lately. A few pics at: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post4305096 (Tata vs Ashok Leyland: CV & HCV only)

AL seems to have clearly beaten the similar Tata Marcopolo buses (but hopelessly bad) that used to run in Bangalore and elsewhere a few years ago.
Old 16th November 2017, 21:16   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I am sure that lack of funds is the actual reason, delay in delivery & improper finishing are likely to be cover ups.
As far as I know, funds was never a problem for the BEST. They say they have lack of funds, but in reality it is a different story.

Improper finishing are not cover ups, they cancel order's or ask the "Bodybuilders" to rebuilt until the bus meets the requirements of BEST.

Their is not one but many various reasons why BEST don't make buses like NMMT or TMT and MBMT. BEST frequently changes interior designs,they want to make buses which carry most people in way of standing or sitting, or want charger ports etc.

I know some people will find this hard to believe but Quality Control of the BEST buses is top most priority. Quality I mean what ever things present in BEST bus are for some reason, they should work, if not they change the design. There have been few instances where in BEST buses catching fire, but after the incident the buses are checked upon and identified the fault, I have heard people are suspended for few days if they are at fault.

Giving Tata or Ashok Leyland to build buses may have quality control issues. With every new design change, BEST employees go and check the sample bus for quality and design flaws.

I have a lot of insider news which I cant share, someone close from my family works in BEST.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 19:44   #253
BHPian

I am in Mumbai/Thane for a few days, and been watching and traveling in BEST and TMT buses.

As regards front engined AL buses, I really miss the sound of the AL's of the 80's and 90's. The present day front engined buses sound very crappy. I wonder what's the cause, what exactly has changed from those days (and with what benefit, if any)?

I vaguely recall reading it having to do with naturally aspirated engines or something like that. Can someone refresh my memory pls?
Old 18th November 2017, 19:53   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I vaguely recall reading it having to do with naturally aspirated engines or something like that. Can someone refresh my memory pls?

Yes, the new Buses are Turbo Charged gone are the days of NA engines.
Old 19th November 2017, 06:35   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Yes, the new Buses are Turbo Charged gone are the days of NA engines.
And what is the benefit?

I can't seem to experience any higher pulling power. The pickup seems the same or degraded compared to the 80's and 90's (except MUTP buses in its early days, which did indeed have better pickup).

Is it better fuel economy?

Most Viewed