Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 15:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: B.E.S.T. buses - Painting Mumbai RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
I feel it is high time to have doors of Buses closed before the bus starts from stop (just like in A/c Buses). This will be a huge leap in passenger safety & also keep thieves out, as they cannot get in & get out at their will.
This can be a possibility if there was only one entry/exit in the bus so that the driver/conductor can control the door operation as is available in the AC buses. Some of the BEST buses do have the double door options but I have seen them mostly locked open to accomodate the passengers.

I fail to understand why the BEST drivers do halt at the scheduled stops when the bus is already overflowing with passengers and there isnt an inch to accomodate any more passenger/s. But still they do stop and people get onboard and hang around the rear door risking their lives and the following traffic too.
Old 5th March 2013, 15:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
This can be a possibility if there was only one entry/exit in the bus so that the driver/conductor can control the door operation as is available in the AC buses. Some of the BEST buses do have the double door options but I have seen them mostly locked open to accomodate the passengers.
Why so? In Bangalore, all buses have two doors, and both are kept closed when on the run. (Some drivers keep the front door open, especially during the summer to ensure ventilation - but these doors would also be closed when the bus is standing at a traffic light).
Old 5th March 2013, 19:40   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Why so? In Bangalore, all buses have two doors, and both are kept closed when on the run. (Some drivers keep the front door open, especially during the summer to ensure ventilation - but these doors would also be closed when the bus is standing at a traffic light).
Well, Blore weather is different from Mumbai weather. Mumbai being much hotter, I can understand if it becomes unbearably hot in Mumbai with doors are kept closed. This is also the reason why you will see the front windscreen open in BEST buses, but not so in cooler places like Pune (even when the split windscreen mechanism works in Pune, which is another story altogether)

On a related note (and this may be a pipe-dream today), I feel its high time non-AC buses are totally done away with. Only AC buses should be used in a hot-weather place like India, even in the smallest of cities. All these noises about undertakings making losses, is a load of bull. Money is siphoned away due to corruption, thats why they make losses. If all were proper, there can be no way a populous country like India should make losses in a bus transport corporation, even with AC buses.
Old 5th March 2013, 19:46   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Well, Blore weather is different from Mumbai weather. Mumbai being much hotter, I can understand if it becomes unbearably hot in Mumbai with doors are kept closed. This is also the reason why you will see the front windscreen open in BEST buses, but not so in cooler places like Pune (even when the split windscreen mechanism works in Pune, which is another story altogether)
Now, a door doesn't mean a fully sealed glass frame. One can have only the frame without any glass - may be with some netting on it. It just prevents people from "foot-boarding" and people running into/from buses. There are quite some buses in Bangalore running with only the frame - no glasses on the door frame.
Old 5th March 2013, 20:36   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I hope the info is correct. I got it from TOI. Have posted the original link where I got the info from. It will be better to cross check with the conductor or depot though.
After posting here, I checked the site(which I should have done earlier) and the same is mentioned there. Would be cross-checking with the conductor though.

IMO, with people boarding the buses from behind, it becomes pretty difficult to open/close the rear door as the driver does not know if someone is on the foot-board. If someone is hurt, people would bash the driver. Thats the reason, most of the AC buses here use only front door.

Quote:
I fail to understand why the BEST drivers do halt at the scheduled stops when the bus is already overflowing with passengers and there isnt an inch to accomodate any more passenger/s. But still they do stop and people get onboard and hang around the rear door risking their lives and the following traffic too.
ghodlur sir, I think that the driver needs to stop at the bus stop as there are passengers who need to get off at almost every stop. If he skips one or the other, he would be in the receiving end from the passenger. Also, it lays on the public on not boarding overcrowded buses and not traveling on the foot-board. But, they are not to blame until the frequency of services or the number of services increase.

Apart from this, there are so-called HEROES who try all kind of stunts by hanging on the foot-board. These species are found in abundance in local trains as the BEST buses. No kind of sympathy for these people who like to hang-out even in empty buses.
Old 5th March 2013, 21:02   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
... Apart from this, there are so-called HEROES who try all kind of stunts by hanging on the foot-board. These species are found in abundance in local trains as the BEST buses. No kind of sympathy for these people who like to hang-out even in empty buses.
See for an example. Esp at 48 seconds.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 21:06   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
See for an example. Esp at 48 seconds.
Haha. This is an old video and have seen this. I have no sympathy for these kind of people who for the sake of some thrill, put their life at danger and also cause in-convenience to others if some unfortunate incident happens.
A good drive by railway for penalizing these kind of activites has been started which should be undertaken by BEST as well.
Old 7th March 2013, 20:07   #68
BHPian

BEST buses to get women conductors

MUMBAI: For the first time, the BEST will have a group of khaki-clad women conductors on board from March 8, which is celebrated as International Women's Day.

The BEST will, for the first time, have a group of khaki-clad women conductors giving tickets to commuters from the swanky electronic ticketing machines.

Full Story Here -

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/18840730.cms

Good move to empower women. Hope the some of the rowdies that board busses in odd hours behave well with them and treat them with due respect.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Since last couple of years of us have heard announcements in Mumbai Local Trains updating on next stop of the Train. This announcement is made in English, Hindi & Marathi & it is loud enough to be audible even in most crowded morning / evening locals.

The similar service is now starting in Best Buses & they have initiated as pilot project in 1165 Buses (out of total fleet of 4200 buses). There will be GPS devices in these buses & which will track its movement & make necesary announcements about next stop.

This will be a very welcome service as most of the times conductors are busy issuing tickets / managing crowd & do not annouce the arrival of next bus stop. Thus most of the times passengers either have to depend on their judgement or ask co-passengers who too are not knowing the location where the bus is currently. I feel a service like this will also control errant drivers / conductors who skip bus stops enroute.

Further there are also plans to install CCTV camera in all 4200 buses by 2013 year end.

Full article here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/19028719.cms

Thanks,
Old 18th March 2013, 14:04   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
The similar service is now starting in Best Buses & they have initiated as pilot project in 1165 Buses (out of total fleet of 4200 buses). There will be GPS devices in these buses & which will track its movement & make necesary announcements about next stop.
Further there are also plans to install CCTV camera in all 4200 buses by 2013 year end.
Great initiative by BEST, thanks for the news Jignesh.
This will be of great help to commuters who have to alight at the last minute and make way through the crowd. This will give enough time to start moving toward the exit.

If the Buses would have GPS, they might also have a way of displaying at the designated bus stops the time of arrival of the bus at that particular stop.

If BEST is thinking of going hitech, they might want to see that the destination boards (rolling sheets or LED displays) are working fine instead of marking the destination with chalks or paper print out stuck on the front glass.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 14:28   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If BEST is thinking of going hitech, they might want to see that the destination boards (rolling sheets or LED displays) are working fine instead of marking the destination with chalks or paper print out stuck on the front glass.
Yes. The missing diplay boards (due to LED display failure) is a major pain area currently. The reason given behind this failure is water leakage which I feel is not the real cause, because in most of other countries (which have extreme climates) LED displays are working perfectly fine. This makes one think that earlier rolling sheets were much dependable & changed everytime religiously by drivers / conductors.

But when it comes to usage of technology we can be sure that Best buses & Mumbai local trains are miles ahead as compared to public transport in rest of the country (leave aside the metro railway in Delhi). At the same time when it comes to public transport, we are equally miles behind of other developed countries, but BEST & Railways canot be solely blamed for this, because there are various 'other' factors (political being the most) to be taken into account in this country.

Thanks,
Old 20th March 2013, 21:42   #72
Senior - BHPian

Best should revert back to the rolling cloth sheets for destination boards. Almost 60 percent of LED boards dont work at all. All we see now is printouts posted on every second bus.
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:08   #73
BHPian

BEST plans AC buses every 15 minutes from airports

MUMBAI: BEST plans to start air-conditioned buses from the domestic and international airports every 15 minutes at one-fifth the fares of prepaid cabs.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...rport-terminal

BEST loses Rs 100cr a year, plans to sell 20 AC buses

MUMBAI: The BEST is planning to sell some of its AC buses to corporate houses and other bidders. It will soon invite expression of interest from prospective buyers for 20 AC buses.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20219470.cms

I don't know how these 2 news appeared on the same day. Any one knows the logic behind this ? If they sell of the busses, how will they have enough to reach the airport terminal every 15 minute ?
Old 25th May 2013, 23:37   #74
Senior - BHPian

Who will buy those KingLongs?

I am sure we'll see them getting broken up somewhere at CST Road Kurla in near future.
Old 29th May 2013, 13:26   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
If they sell of the busses, how will they have enough to reach the airport terminal every 15 minute ?
If they are disposing older King Long Ac Buses they might have alternate plans to accommodate something new in their Ac Bus fleets which is more reliable and does not breakdown leaving passengers stranded anytime of the day .

For that matter the Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport (NMMT) Volvo AC buses although they are very few in numbers compared to BEST King Long AC buses are doing a good job.

Something BEST should have considered before buying those King Long

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks