Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2014, 19:04   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: B.E.S.T. buses - Painting Mumbai RED!

The elusive Ashok Leyland rear engine low floor bus of BEST. There is only one such bus. I do not know the technical details regarding this one.
Attached Thumbnails
B.E.S.T. buses - Painting Mumbai RED!-dsc_03821.jpg  

B.E.S.T. buses - Painting Mumbai RED!-dsc_03831.jpg  

AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 23:22   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
The elusive Ashok Leyland rear engine low floor bus of BEST. There is only one such bus. I do not know the technical details regarding this one.
AkMar
Hi
I have a recollection of seeing double decker buses with a rear engines, way back in 1960s or 1970s. Whether my memory is playing tricks I cannot be too sure. But I would definitely be inclined towards seeing it.
These were different from the automatic geared Leylands which were introduced in 1960s. Before the double deckers we had single deckers with automatic gear shifts.
Regards
Old 20th January 2014, 00:24   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_flying_B View Post
Mostly the B.E.S.T. conductors are well behaved. But occasionally, you will find some people who will be in a foul mood. Especially if in the early morning trips you present a conductor a 100 rupee note for a minimum fare ticket. That really riles them up. I've noticed this many times during my college trips.
Nice list! I never paid much attention to the numbering schemes when I was in college and taking B.E.S.T. buses from one end of Mumbai to another for college fests!

One trick that I did do to get change from conductors during my college days was to give them exact change for my ticket and then politely ask for change of Rs 100/- afterwards. It worked everytime! I'm not sure nowadays as the buses look much more crowded than they did earlier and the closest encounters I've had with them in the last 10 yrs is when some of them cut across my car towards the divider in the fast lanes
Old 20th January 2014, 16:42   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post

One trick that I did do to get change from conductors during my college days was to give them exact change for my ticket and then politely ask for change of Rs 100/- afterwards. It worked everytime!
Hi Gomzi,

This still works, Just did it last week
Dieseltuned is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 17:53   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
If what's written in the front, just below the windscreen and on the LHS, is to be believed, this is built on a Panther/RE-SLF BS-3 chassis - probably with a 160hp engine
Old 26th January 2014, 08:55   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
AkMar
...Before the double deckers we had single deckers with automatic gear shifts.
Regards
I clearly recall seeing BEST single-decker buses in Mumbai in 1980's that sounded like auto-transmission buses. The engine whine would increase to a point and automatically reduce, then again increase, then again reduce, etc. As if an up-shifting was happening automatically.

Also, I also remember seeing some single-decker BEST buses in the 1980's with a very short gear lever, hardly 3-4 inches long. Manual transmission, but ultra-short gear lever. And these buses were a bit differently built. The seats were on a raised platform. They were also differently painted in the exterior.

Those were the days when BEST bus maintenance was top-class!

Venkat
Old 26th January 2014, 09:11   #112
BHPian

BEST bulb horn

I would like to purchase the deep sounding BEST bulb horn. Any idea where I can get it?

In 2006, I tried asking in the In-Coach factory in Vikhroli (I lived in Mumbai then). They had one but it wasnt as deep sounding.

I now live in Bangalore. Any idea how I can buy one? Any idea how much it would cost?

Thanks,
Venkat
Old 12th June 2014, 23:56   #113
BHPian

"On the Double for 75 Years", about BEST double-deckers

Nice video titled "On the Double for 75 Years", about Mumbai double-decker buses.

Link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11...-75-years_auto

/Venkat
Old 12th June 2014, 23:58   #114
BHPian

Re: "On the Double for 75 Years", about BEST double-deckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Nice video titled "On the Double for 75 Years", about Mumbai double-decker buses.

Link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11...-75-years_auto

/Venkat
There is one odd looking double decker bus (integrated cab, front exit, odd rounded/protruding rear).

Anyone has any more details about those buses?
Old 14th June 2014, 23:40   #115
BHPian

Re: "On the Double for 75 Years", about BEST double-deckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
There is one odd looking double decker bus (integrated cab, front exit, odd rounded/protruding rear).

Anyone has any more details about those buses?
Varihar
Hi
This is the double decker bus with the rear engine that I have mentioned in my post 106 dated Jan the 19th
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 14th June 2014 at 23:41.
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:56   #116
BHPian

I pass Andheri side in peak hours and it is really disheartening to see only 7-8 passengers in buses with routes called 'Metro Ferry'

Looks like another case of poor planning. Not only they are burning fuel for nothing but also increasing the traffic driving these monsters on already crowded streets.
Old 2nd September 2014, 17:14   #117
BHPian

The new NMMT Buses that ply in Mumbai City on some routes look really high-quality cosmetically. I hope BEST buys such buses under teh JNNRUM II Scheme.

They've recently started procuring more support trucks from Tata, all are diesel and are BSIV.
Old 2nd September 2014, 17:16   #118
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone here have the email addresses of the higher ups at BEST?
I wonder if they even check their emails!
There is a terribly low frequency of buses at Malad Station & the buses or the drivers are not to be blamed for this , its all due to lots of traffic on Marve rd. There are only 3 buses on this route. 2 of them are mini-buses which barely fit enough people. Yesterday i reached Malad from Churchgate in less than 50mins by train. There was a km long line at the bus stop & the bus finally arrived after 45mins. Waiting in queue for 30mins has become a habit for me now. Earlier there used to be a 20min interval between buses, but its got worse now!
Finding an auto rickshaw is next to impossible at the station.
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:07   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Does anyone here have the email addresses of the higher ups at BEST?
I wonder if they even check their emails!
There is a terribly low frequency of buses at Malad Station & the buses or the drivers are not to be blamed for this , its all due to lots of traffic on Marve rd. There are only 3 buses on this route. 2 of them are mini-buses which barely fit enough people. Yesterday i reached Malad from Churchgate in less than 50mins by train. There was a km long line at the bus stop & the bus finally arrived after 45mins. Waiting in queue for 30mins has become a habit for me now. Earlier there used to be a 20min interval between buses, but its got worse now!
Finding an auto rickshaw is next to impossible at the station.
hi PPS,

There was one BEST Complain number...You can try this out :: 1800227550

Else, find out which depot these buses belong to, I am guessing they might belong to Malvani or Goregaon depots, (Depot names in acronyms are printed on the back of the buses) and try directly talking to the Depot managers

I have a feeling that the political hinderance is causing the BEST to loose many of its routes to the mafias who operate the "share - a - rick" thing.

The below link would give you the contact numbers of most of the Depots

http://www.bestundertaking.com/trans...ey_persons.asp

OR try the email addresses and phone numbers in the below link

http://www.bestundertaking.com/transport/contact.asp

Regards
Dieseltuned

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 2nd September 2014 at 19:10. Reason: added link with telephone numbers
Dieseltuned is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 21:06   #120
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
OR try the email addresses and phone numbers in the below link
Thanks. As soon as i posted i checked out their BEST site & have emailed them. I wonder if they even check their mails forget replying.
And today the same thing happened as soon as i reached the bus stop. There was half a km queue! Went to the main road & tried my luck in a private bus which dropped me close to my house in flat 15mins for the same amount of money!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks