Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are Volvos a "Technical Success" In India?
Yes 24 55.81%
No 1 2.33%
Yes, if the regular service costs and replacements are adhered to. 16 37.21%
No, they continue to be unreliable white elephants. 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 08:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Are Volvos a "Technical Success in India?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Also they have a 1400 litre fuel tank
Absolutely wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power House View Post
1400 litre fuel tank? R u sure about that..? Even the largest tanks that are used in tractor trailer trucks are only 200-300 litres..
The correct capacity is mentioned in the below link.
[http://www.volvobuses.com/bus/india/...ownloads.aspx]
Both 9400 and 9400XL has a fuel capacity of 600litres (300x1 + 150x2 configuration), with filling option from both sides.
The 9400 comes with D7E 260 hp (1200 Nm), 6-cylinder, 7-litre diesel engine and the 9400 6x2 comes with the D9B 340hp (1600 Nm), 6-cylinder, 9.4-litre diesel.
Old 10th August 2012, 09:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1400 litre fuel tank? R u sure about that..? Even the largest tanks that are used in tractor trailer trucks are only 200-300 litres..
As far as I am aware there are 2 fuel tanks in the Volvo buses one on either side. I would rather presume it to be (150+150) litres or (300+300) litres. 1400 litres is a little too big to accommodate I believe.

Can the experts throw some light on this please.
Old 10th August 2012, 09:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
As far as I am aware there are 2 fuel tanks in the Volvo buses one on either side. I would rather presume it to be (150+150) litres or (300+300) litres. 1400 litres is a little too big to accommodate I believe.

Can the experts throw some light on this please.
I have mentioned the capacity in the previous post, if you missed that. The two 150 litre tanks sit on either side of the chassis long members and the 300 litre one in the middle (a total of 600 litres). Attached is a picture of the placement.

Name:  VolvoTanks.bmp
Views: 7848
Size:  472.7 KB
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 10:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Actually, there are some engines that are close to what Volvo offers. AshLey is getting ready with its Neptune series, and TM would probably roll out the higher powered Cummins ISBe engines. These engines are at present available in defence vehicles.
Neptune's are 8 litre and ISBe is 6.7 litre. But its known that they can access still higher capacity ISLe's if required.

Quote:
Incorrect. The single axle manual tranny B9Rs give upto 4.2kmpl and the multi axle upto 3.7kmpl regularly. Also they have a 1400 litre fuel tank which is refilled as and when required at KSRTC depots/workshops en route.

Correct, but if expensive parts last that long too, we know that they are a worthwhile investment as well.
The correct FE figures have been given above.
If the figures given by you were realistic, then AL 12M's would be eradicated from the indian bus market. These figures seem to be too high than what they offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Isnt the ISBe already powering the Prima ?

Cummins engines are know to be durable and reliable globally and would be worthy competitors to Volvo \ Merc engines. The locally developed engines - well with professional support from Austria - would have to prove themselves over a period of time
ISBe is already in Prima and LPO 1616 BS IV.

Quote:
Fuel tank capacity is 600 litres only in Volvo.

But there are trucks I have seen upto 1200 litres. 700+500 litres fitted one on each side and are interconnected. They fill in Chandigarh and make a round trip to chennai and goes back. Since the owner has petrol pumps a difference of Rs.1.5 will translate to ~Rs.1800/- per trip.
Old 10th August 2012, 10:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
...TM would probably roll out the higher powered Cummins ISBe engines..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Isnt the ISBe already powering the Prima ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Neptune's are 8 litre and ISBe is 6.7 litre. But its known that they can access still higher capacity ISLe's if required.
I stand corrected. I wanted to mention the ISLe engines, and not ISBe
Old 10th August 2012, 11:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

I remember that BMTC had complained to Volvo about the mileage which was less than 2 kmpl. Not sure if Volvo had done something to correct it.
Old 10th August 2012, 12:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Also they have a 1400 litre fuel tank which is refilled as and when required at KSRTC depots/workshops en route.
Just googled the volvo fuel tank capacity and it seems they have a capacity of upto 600 lts which translates to a maximum range of 1500 kms.

Maybe some kind of modification is done to increase the capacity of the tank but doesnt 1500 ltr capacity means luggging an additional 1000 kg dead weight on account of the fuel? Highly improbable?

Be free to correct me though.
Old 10th August 2012, 12:40   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
If the figures given by you were realistic, then AL 12M's would be eradicated from the indian bus market. These figures seem to be too high than what they offer.
I do not want to debate on why the AL 12Ms are still there in the market, but the figures have been given to me by multiple sources at KSRTC including the management and drivers (who usually contradict each other) and hence there is no reason not to believe them.

The 12Ms might still be in the market due to the following reasons:

1. Volvos cannot operate on routes where the road conditions are beyond a certain level of adversity.
2. Volvos cannot operate in ghat sections which have turns/curves that are too sharp for them.
3. The cost of maintenance of Volvos is definitely higher than the ubiquitous TMLs and ALs.
4. Due to the initial and operating cost differences, the operator has to levy a higher price for their tickets compared to TMLs and ALs, something which every passenger cannot afford and would not want to afford.
5. KSRTC needs to have a mix of all levels/prices of service to be able to cater to all segments of customers.

The above reasons and the question raised by you is one of the exact reasons for this thread.
Old 10th August 2012, 18:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Incorrect. The single axle manual tranny B9Rs give upto 4.2kmpl and the multi axle upto 3.7kmpl regularly. Also they have a 1400 litre fuel tank which is refilled as and when required at KSRTC depots/workshops en route.
KSRTC does not have single-axles B9Rs - so how come they say its mileage? From the private operators who operate them, the Single axle B9Rs have poorer fuel efficiency as compared to B7Rs - and their cost of operation is on the higher side as well.

The Multi-Axle buses operated by private operators return in the range of 2.5~2.9kmpl. Given the way KSRTC buses are driver, they would get 3.7kmpl - they never exceed 90kmph, and keep lugging the engine most of the time.
Old 10th August 2012, 19:02   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
KSRTC does not have single-axles B9Rs - so how come they say its mileage? From the private operators who operate them, the Single axle B9Rs have poorer fuel efficiency as compared to B7Rs - and their cost of operation is on the higher side as well.
The bus that I traveled in was a 9400 single axle vehicle. Is that not a B9R?
Old 10th August 2012, 19:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bus that I traveled in was a 9400 single axle vehicle. Is that not a B9R?
That is not a B9R. That is a B7R. 9400 is the name of the body - the purchaser has the freedom to choose any chassis for the body (currently only B7R and B9R is offered in India).
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 00:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Volvos are a success and even though the initial costs are high, The bus pays itself back. People are willing to pay for the speed and comfort of a volvo.

ALs and TMLs are cheaper but even in say Lonavla ghats, where the steepness is less compared to say Ooty ghats, they struggle to climb, whereas B7 and B9 climb in 2nd gear.

ANy vehicle, whether a Volvo or a Toyota requires maintenance as specified by the manufacturer. IF its is followed, the bus would bring profit. IN general, the transport companies break-even in 3-3.5 years. Rest all are pure profit
Old 11th August 2012, 17:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
- the purchaser has the freedom to choose any chassis for the body (currently only B7R and B9R is offered in India).
Sorry binaiks, I am confused. Just for clarification, can I order a B9R engine (340 HP) on a B7R chassis?
Old 11th August 2012, 17:26   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats the confusion with B9R body? B7R chassis etc? From a friend of mine who works in the plant, the intercity version is available only in two variants. 9400, which was earlier the B7R and the 9400XL which is here mentioned as B9R and popularly known as Multi-Axle. The 9400 comes with the seven litre engine and 9400XL comes with the nine litre engine. You cannot have the nine litre b9r engine in the single axle version. If there is any, then I am surprised.
Old 11th August 2012, 19:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The 9400 comes with the seven litre engine and 9400XL comes with the nine litre engine. You cannot have the nine litre b9r engine in the single axle version. If there is any, then I am surprised.
You can most certainly get a 9 litre engine in the single axle variant. In both the 9400 and the 9400XL (also the new 9400PX) the badging on the rear engine door is always 9400 - for the common man, both the two-axle and the three-axle variants are "9400".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks