Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2012, 12:37   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet

they tend to do damage to the propeller shaft's strength, it's Universal Joints and not to mention the spline shaft on the gearbox; especially when done OVER & OVER AGAIN for nearly 2000 kms.

The one main advantage is the use of 11R20 tires

Cheers and safe driving.
Does that mean that its safer to go for AMC with Tata Motors right from the start considering the way the chassis could have been driven and that warranty does not cover certain areas of the transmission.

What will be the cosequences of upsizing to 295/80 R22.5 tubeless wheels? How will it affect my running costs?
Old 31st August 2012, 12:54   #32
BHPian

Re: TATA Motors Buses (Standard Versions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
The "pump lock" is a sort of a crude way to stop fuel feed beyond a certain level, no matter how hard the accelerator is pressed. I'm not aware of any system that is followed when the vehicle is sent from the factory to the dealer. Nowadays, i don't think it matters because even during QA testing, they test the vehicles thoroughly and vigorously, doing some high speeds right after rolling out of the production lines. I think maybe they might limit the engine speed to around 2000 RPM. Will verify that and get back to you.

But, I do know what the contract drivers do to those brand new vehicles. They are given a fixed quota of diesel to reach their destination from the Chassis transport area. Whatever fuel they manage to save from the quota is their profit. They basically over-inflate the tires to about 120~125 psi and then drive it in an unbelievable manner. What they do on open highways is build up maximum speed possible, and then "coast" the vehicle in Neutral. This may not seem like much now; but in reality, they tend to do damage to the propeller shaft's strength, it's Universal Joints and not to mention the spline shaft on the gearbox; especially when done OVER & OVER AGAIN for nearly 2000 kms. The FE they achieve in this manner will put some good "D Segment" diesel sedans to shame.

A Big O.T. - (for answering v1kram's queries)

The market acceptance is slow; its not selling as fast as Tata had hoped (especially the tractors, since when fully kitted out, they cost more than an entry level E Class Merc or BMW 5 series) but is nevertheless picking up pace gradually. No idea about sales figures sorry, as I'm in R&D and have no idea about that side of the business. As for the new launches, they are going to launch the LPT 3721 (5-Axle rigid truck with 25 tonnes haulage capacity) and LPK 3118 (8x4 twin steer tipper) vehicles sometime in September. That apart, I can't comment on other products due to the organizational rules regarding non-disclosure of information.

Cheers and safe driving.
The method Contract drivers follow is definitely news to me, we hope atleast in the future they deliver the chassis to respective dealers in low bed trailers (as they normally do for SCV's and high end trucks).

You have provided good amount of information about PRIMA and I understood your situation. May be you can open a new thread for PRIMA trucks and update / share informations whatever possible.

Last edited by v1kram : 31st August 2012 at 12:56.
Old 1st September 2012, 09:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuperiasamy View Post
Does that mean that its safer to go for AMC with Tata Motors right from the start considering the way the chassis could have been driven and that warranty does not cover certain areas of the transmission.

What will be the cosequences of upsizing to 295/80 R22.5 tubeless wheels? How will it affect my running costs?
Yes, its better for you to take the AMC. But do have a word with the dealer on the exact coverage of the AMC. Tata Motors will start offering Perforation Warranty for 5 years as standard starting from sometime around December'12 - January'13. Have a word with the dealer on that and try to get your vehicle also lined up into that. Also, haggle for some discounts on the AMC. And lastly, please don't ask those dealership people about the way Chassis are brought in. What i've shared here is a sort of a "small dirty secret" and i don't want anyone tracking my online activity.

As for the radial tires, if you're currently using Cross - Ply tires, i'd suggest you to go in for Radial tires of the same size. Going in for R22.5 tires might increase the rolling circumference of the tires in an undue manner, which will inturn affect the dynamics of the fully loaded bus. Also, make your tire choice before the body is fully built, so that the body builder can accommodate the new tires with suitable wheel arches. You don't want your tires scraping on your wheel arch when the bus is fully crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
The method Contract drivers follow is definitely news to me, we hope atleast in the future they deliver the chassis to respective dealers in low bed trailers (as they normally do for SCV's and high end trucks).

You have provided good amount of information about PRIMA and I understood your situation. May be you can open a new thread for PRIMA trucks and update / share informations whatever possible.
I will open a thread for the Prima as and when the time comes (which is in a few weeks from now). Right now, on a Grand Indian Road Trip spanning the whole length and breadth of the country (8000 odd kms) seated in a truck (the LPT 3723 to be precise).

Cheers and safe driving (or trucking as in my case)
Surya-TJet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 10:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I will open a thread for the Prima as and when the time comes (which is in a few weeks from now). Right now, on a Grand Indian Road Trip spanning the whole length and breadth of the country (8000 odd kms) seated in a truck (the LPT 3723 to be precise).

Cheers and safe driving (or trucking as in my case)
Enjoy your Grand Indian Road Trip, hope you get to drive the luxury truck (as per Indian Standards) and don't forget to capture the moments. Looking forward for a PRIMA thread.
Safe trucking!!!
v1kram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 10:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Tata Motors will start offering Perforation Warranty for 5 years as standard starting from sometime around December'12 - January'13.

Also, make your tire choice before the body is fully built, so that the body builder can accommodate the new tires with suitable wheel arches.
Can you please explain Perforation Warranty. I am planning to go in for 2 more chassis next month. I can also wait.

Thanks for the tip on the tyres. Real useful one. Body building is just starting. The option to upsize is because tubeless tyres are not available in R20 size.

Rest assured about confidentiality. I would prefer you to PM on such issues. Thank you.
madhuperiasamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 12:01   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Enjoy your Grand Indian Road Trip, hope you get to drive the luxury truck (as per Indian Standards) and don't forget to capture the moments. Looking forward for a PRIMA thread.
Safe trucking!!!
Thanks again for your wishes v1kram. I will keep on updating as and when I find time after my official work at the end of each day. And, the luxury that I'm gonna have is to sit in a "Suncab", which is basically a tin foil box attached to the "front cowl" of the vehicle. I will have a luxurious resting space of 1ft x 1ft, filled with coconut coir cushion for my precious behind for the whole of the journey. That's R&D for you.

Quote:
Can you please explain Perforation Warranty. I am planning to go in for 2 more chassis next month. I can also wait.

Thanks for the tip on the tyres. Real useful one. Body building is just starting. The option to upsize is because tubeless tyres are not available in R20 size.

Rest assured about confidentiality. I would prefer you to PM on such issues. Thank you.
That "perforation warranty" is basically an assurance that the vehicle will not rust and oxidize from the inside out (which might mainly occur during the raw material steel manufacturing and also during after treatments like heat treatment etc). It makes sense in a Fully Built Vehicle; not so much in a Bus chassis which doesn't even carry a front cowl these days (cost cutting and the fact that no bus owner wants his new bus to look like a 1980's mercedes benz truck). But, this perforation warranty will at least be useful for Chassis Long Member and Suspension Brackets. It's actually being introduced in a very late manner owing to market pressure rather than technological development as TML was the only company not to be offering this perforation warranty and is the last one to join the bandwagon.

As for the Radial tires, I'd suggest that you try from nearby places and also by contacting the regional offices of MRF, JK, Apollo etc. Please try to avoid Tubeless tires as they are quite expensive compared to tube type tires and have not much of considerable advantage over tube type radial tires for buses with leaf spring suspension. If your bus were to have electronic air suspension like Volvo and Merc, then it'll make far more sense. This makes absolutely no difference in ride quality or tire life. So, I'd suggest you to take tube type radial tires and save yourself some money which can be used to spruce up your bus interior even better.
Surya-TJet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 12:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I'm gonna have is to sit in a "Suncab", which is basically a tin foil box attached to the "front cowl" of the vehicle. I will have a luxurious resting space of 1ft x 1ft, filled with coconut coir cushion for my precious behind for the whole of the journey. That's R&D for you.

Please try to avoid Tubeless tires as they are quite expensive compared to tube type tires .
Best wishes for a safe and sound ride. Do keep us updated.

Regarding the tubeless tires my choice has nothing to do with ride quality but everything to do with reducing pilferage. Tubeless tyres do not need flaps and tubes which require more maintainence and visits to the local tyre mechanic - outlets for financial leakage :-).
Regarding costs Ceat PRO 10 tubeless radials cost only as much as a tube type.
In fact all I need to do is exchange my set of 7 original radials on the chassis for a set of 7 tubless tyres and pay 12 k extra. Bingo. Less headache in one go. The rims cost extra 15 k after exchange though but they are worth it.
Well I am speaking from an operators point of view. In fact many operators in Coimbatore run on tubeless tyres.
Old 2nd September 2012, 01:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
As for the new launches, they are going to launch the LPT 3721 (5-Axle rigid truck with 25 tonnes haulage capacity) and LPK 3118 (8x4 twin steer tipper) vehicles sometime in September.
Cheers and safe driving.
Just to quench my doubts, can you say what's the difference between LPT & LPK series? Just ignore my doubt if i am trying to intrude into company's confidential information.
Old 2nd September 2012, 09:05   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Simple reasons

Fuel efficiency is better than AL ( AL as of today gives me only 3.3km/litre)
Probably this is due to the fact that AL offers a 160hp version whereas the Tata comes with a 135hp version.
Old 2nd September 2012, 11:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Simple reasons

A more reliable Cummins engine than AL H series engine ( not HINO engine)
The cummins engine is also locally made by TATA - probably you are aware of this already.
Old 2nd September 2012, 11:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autokrat View Post
The cummins engine is also locally made by TATA - probably you are aware of this already.
To be precise, made in India by Tata Cummins, a 50:50 JV between Tata Motors and Cummins.
Old 2nd September 2012, 11:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hi Madhu..
My hearty congratulations and all the very best to you and your LPO 1512 (Hope I am not too late in wishing you). I believe you are the second bus owner officially in our forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
I would like to share my observation here...i also strongly feel that the new BS3 160Hp engine with Inline-FIP is actually a derivative of the original Leyland engine, which was discontinued. AL has marketed it as H series....unlike one developed from Hino used earlier...
The newer 160IL is definitely not derived from Leyland engines. If you could see the engines one to one you can understand this. Apart from this the internals(bore and stroke) are completely different. If it was derived from Leyland engines, AL itself will be very happy.

Quote:
Most of the LP buses without front overhang does tilt more towards the front (sometime it will look like touching the speed breakers) but the LPO models are better....
That's due to joggled frame at front. But both LP and LPO will have the same design and so they both tilt little in front compared to the rear end.

Quote:
A very small doubt. Was the Ergo Pack instrument cluster given by default or as an option by paying extra?..
What is the ergo pack? Is that the newer, smaller steering wheel you are speaking on? what else is offered in this?

Quote:
... As for the TNSTC vehicles, not entirely sure about the 6-6.8 kmpl bit, especially given the condition of their maintenance. It might be a gig by the TNSTC drivers just to poke others. But, when interacting with drivers, they have told me that they are just about managing 5.5 kmpl (This is in the Chennai - Thiruvannamalai - Vizhupuram route).
Managing above 6.5 is not possible overall but good number of drivers are able to achieve this in select routes. They are also awarded based on this and are officially recorded.

Quote:
As for the "pump lock", are you referring the system that is followed when the chassis is sent from the factory to the dealer? (it does have a arrangement such that the driver cannot apply accelerator to the maximum, may be since it is run in period)..
This is not done during chassis transportation. This is normally done by the operators. Also this has nothing to do with running in. Infact these chassis meet their worst part of life during testing period itself.

Quote:
Regarding the tubeless tires my choice has nothing to do with ride quality but everything to do with reducing pilferage. Tubeless tyres do not need flaps and tubes which require more maintainence and visits to the local tyre mechanic - outlets for financial leakage :-).
Regarding costs Ceat PRO 10 tubeless radials cost only as much as a tube type.
In fact all I need to do is exchange my set of 7 original radials on the chassis for a set of 7 tubless tyres and pay 12 k extra. Bingo. Less headache in one go. The rims cost extra 15 k after exchange though but they are worth it.
Well I am speaking from an operators point of view. In fact many operators in Coimbatore run on tubeless tyres.
Its good that you are switching to tubeless radials. As you said you will have increased tyre mileage of atleast 15% to 20%. How about the rims - Kalyanai, Wheels India or imported ones?
Also Michelin's are the best available tubeless and yes they comes with a cost. Are you sticking to Ceat or any other brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power House View Post
Just to quench my doubts, can you say what's the difference between LPT & LPK series? Just ignore my doubt if i am trying to intrude into company's confidential information.
LPT are rigid haul trucks and LPK are the tippers. I have no idea about the expansion. But I know its derived from Merc's nomenclature.
Ashley2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 13:34   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2
Hi Madhu..
My hearty congratulations and all the very best to you and your LPO 1512 (Hope I am not too late in wishing you). I believe you are the second bus owner officially in our forum.

Its good that you are switching to tubeless radials. As you said you will have increased tyre mileage of atleast 15% to 20%. How about the rims - Kalyanai, Wheels India or imported ones?
Also Michelin's are the best available tubeless and yes they comes with a cost. Are you sticking to Ceat or any other brand.
Thank you Ashley2

I think the tyre milage is improved though my observations are entirely subjective. Need more data to prove the same.
The rims are imported ones and are at present serving me well on the present AL BS3.
Ceat is the cheapest of the lot ( 40k/set) right now so sticking to the same. Do I have another option?
Old 2nd September 2012, 13:42   #44
BHPian

The other gadgets im planning on a limited budget are as follows

1. http://www.jv-technoton.com/fuel_flo...uel_flow_meter

2. http://m.alibaba.com/product-gs/4060...orted_LAN.html
3. http://m.getit.in/listing.aspx/Mano%...542591L1293139

Comments and suggestions please.
Old 2nd September 2012, 16:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Ashley2

I think the tyre milage is improved though my observations are entirely subjective. Need more data to prove the same.
The rims are imported ones and are at present serving me well on the present AL BS3.
Ceat is the cheapest of the lot ( 40k/set) right now so sticking to the same. Do I have another option?
You can rely upon the tubeless tyres for their better tyre life. They are designed for a higher load factor application than the ones which you are planning to use. So it should be ok.
Though I was aware about the CEATs' cheapest price but not quite sure about the performance.
From my experience the order of performance starts from Michelin, Bridgestone and next is other brands.

Quote:
The other gadgets im planning on a limited budget are as follows...
Comments and suggestions please.
Regarding the differential fuel flow meter, have you ensure the possibility of fitment, as the 1512's are with mechanical governor. What are the other gadgets about?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks